No Trickle Down charge with Universal Battery Charger

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi I just bought a cheap $4.00 universal battery charger from Ebay and started charging it last light and popped it in my Evo this morning and the battery stayed at a full 100 for a half hour with with barely any usage, which is how it should be if you don't use your phone. When charging the battery in the Evo, It would go from 100 to 90 in 10 minutes with no usage. When charging it with the battery charger it stayed at a 100 for 20mins with no trickle down effect. I'm going to do some more test, but so far I think its a flaw in the Evo hardware circuits for it to lose battery power so fast with minimal usage. I'll post back with more results

bateryshootmeshot.png

evp4gbatterycharger.jpg

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
yupp, I get the same results with my Seidio charger. my phone will go anywhere from 1hr to 1.5hrs before dropping below 100%

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Can you look at the specs for the charger? It says that it has an output of 250ma, that will charge the phone but very slowly. Does the charger plug in?

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Can you look at the specs for the charger? It says that it has an output of 250ma, that will charge the phone but very slowly. Does the charger plug in?

yes thats right, it does not charge that fast. so the next one i buy may have to be a lot higher. but I'm now at 1 full hour and im still at 100% charge.. so this unit works for me, i might have to gamble with another seller that sells one that will charge the battery a little faster, but this is good for me for now.

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That's probably the reason for the better battery life. Charging a battery slowly will get you a more complete charge, which means it will last longer.

how true is your statement? im by no means an electrician but my battery is lasting a lot longer.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
how true is your statement? im by no means an electrician but my battery is lasting a lot longer.

Better be a chemist, we are dealing with batteries. What he says makes sense, kind of. I don't know if it's the same for Lithium-ion polymer batteries as it is with Lead-Acid batteries. Apparently some charges cheat and say 70% charge is equal to 100%.

rodeiguez102

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I got 2 white battery chargers from fommy.com. I think they were 5 bucks each. Not sure about the specs of the charger, but they do charge slow. Which has proven to make my battery last longer. The charger will light up pink when charging and change to blue when done. That and 2 1500mah stock HTC batterys has made me a worry free Evo user.

malhotra365

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I am neither a chemist or an expert on batteries, but I do have a science background. Regardless, I remember some talk about this subject previously. My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the OEM charger will charge overnight to 100% and then stop. So let's say you plug your phone in at 11pm and it finishes charging at 3am. Then the phone will just use power from 3am until you unplug is at 8am. It doesn't "trickle" charge it throughout the night.

That's why some people will unplug their phones at 8am and see a drop to 85% within minutes. Some people have advised unplugging/replugging the phone as soon as you wake up so it can charge again until you are ready to leave the house and have seen better results with this.

Perhaps this aftermarket charger actually trickles throughout the night so you end up having a true 100% as soon as you unplug the phone in the morning.

What do you guys think?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol