No Trickle Down charge with Universal Battery Charger

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
This method works wonders. I went from 2hr 30min per charging from the phone. To almost 9 hours from charging it from a cheap battery charger. I have been using this phone since I first posted this morning with heavy usage. This is the only problem I had with this phone. Now I'm finally happy with this phone.

snap20100627_180134.png

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This method works wonders. I went from 2hr 30min per charging from the phone. To almost 9 hours from charging it from a cheap battery charger. I have been using this phone since I first posted this morning with heavy usage. This is the only problem I had with this phone. Now I'm finally happy with this phone.

Im curious to know how you define "heavy usage" and could explain how you were using your phone? Because I was getting 12-13 hrs on stock from normal usage which for me is:

1) 30min-1hr phonecall thru the day

2) gmail push is on and i get 10-15 emails & reply a day

3) 4-8 hrs of music continuously throughout the day

4) 2-4hrs of internet usage on 3G

I only ask because I use the plug/unplug method in the morning to make sure battery is charged 100% and about to buy the charger on ebay.

Does anyone know if Seidio's charger does the same thing (i.e. charge really slow and trickle charges?) I would pay more to be able to charge the phone and a battery all at once, especially when I'm traveling and just carry one charger for both.

Cliffs71

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I am neither a chemist or an expert on batteries, but I do have a science background. Regardless, I remember some talk about this subject previously. My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the OEM charger will charge overnight to 100% and then stop. So let's say you plug your phone in at 11pm and it finishes charging at 3am. Then the phone will just use power from 3am until you unplug is at 8am. It doesn't "trickle" charge it throughout the night.

That's why some people will unplug their phones at 8am and see a drop to 85% within minutes. Some people have advised unplugging/replugging the phone as soon as you wake up so it can charge again until you are ready to leave the house and have seen better results with this.

Perhaps this aftermarket charger actually trickles throughout the night so you end up having a true 100% as soon as you unplug the phone in the morning.

What do you guys think?

This is correct. Just charge the battery in phone using the included HTC charter until the LED goes green and unplug. I've had the phone off the charger for 15 hours today and I'm still at 88% on the battery. I'm seeing less than 1% battery use per hour when the phone is idling (which seems to be where the biggest battery wastage seems to happen).

So don't go through all the trouble of charging externally and swapping daily. Just charge in phone, but remember to unplug when charging is complete or replenish the charge for a few minutes just prior to unplugging for the day.

darrylb1

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
either some are exaggerating or don't actually use their phones.
i talk and stream music a few hours and read rss. mostly wifi, very little 3g data. gps usually on.
i have gotten as little as 3.5hrs to as much as 6hrs. that's it, no more, ever. actually i have found that workable. i don't have a problem plugging in. people saying" i'm getting 15hrs stock" is amazing to me. i don't understand how that can be. i use the features that i paid for and it drains the battery. i do want a better battery experience. i'll certainly try a slow charger if that helps. seems more reasonable than other fixes

Cliffs71

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I haven't had a ton of use the past day. A couple of texts, maybe 10 minutes of phone calls, WiFi off, GPS off, Bluetooth off, screen brightness at about 25% (which is more than enough), live wallpaper, a little bit of music, a couple of emails (and I have email set to fetch every 30 minutes on the weekend vs. every 5 during weekday business times), and a little bit of internet browsing... I'm still at 70% after 23 hours since charging. Yesterday was a more active day use-wise, but I still didn't get lower than 48% after about 20 hours. The thing is, I've spent the past month doing all the experiments to maximize my battery life and now feel like I'm benefitting from all the research and experiments I did. These included using the stock battery instead of the Seidio extended (which is useless), turning off things I didn't need when I didn't need them like Bluetooth and GPS (if I'm not lost, why is it on?), streamlining the phone's features like lowering the screen brightness and turning off the always-on mobile data, and, quite simply, learning how to properly charge the phone. When you simply leave the phone on the charger overnight, you're going to lose 8-10% of your battery right off the bat within the first hour without doing much of anything at all. Charging it properly, I can unplug it fully charged before I fall asleep and when I wake up (usually 5-6 hours later) it's generally still at 98 or 99%.

But yes, if you turn on all the lights and gadgets in your house and run them all simultaneously, your electric bill is going to be higher. That's why you generally turn off all the lights and appliances you're not using until such time as you need them. A smartphone is no different. Like you, I also use the features I pay for, but I've realized that when I'm not using them it doesn't make a lick of sense to have them all turned on.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
either some are exaggerating or don't actually use their phones.
i talk and stream music a few hours and read rss. mostly wifi, very little 3g data. gps usually on.
i have gotten as little as 3.5hrs to as much as 6hrs. that's it, no more, ever. actually i have found that workable. i don't have a problem plugging in. people saying" i'm getting 15hrs stock" is amazing to me. i don't understand how that can be. i use the features that i paid for and it drains the battery. i do want a better battery experience. i'll certainly try a slow charger if that helps. seems more reasonable than other fixes

Don't imply people are liars. I've posted multiple times how I have my phone configured, and how I use it. If you're only getting 3.5 to 6 hours using wifi something's wrong with your phone or configuration. I got through 12 hours of admittedly light use yesterday, using wifi, and was only at 50% on the battery.

Have you bothered to load the diagnositc software people here, including me, recommend, to figure out exactly WHAT is killing your battery? Have you tried a hard reset, which a number of people have reported solved their issues? I personally know 2 other people with EVOs, and none of the three of us have battery problems, so maybe I should doubt reports like yours?

djtarique

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Im curious to know how you define "heavy usage" and could explain how you were using your phone? Because I was getting 12-13 hrs on stock from normal usage which for me is:

1) 30min-1hr phonecall thru the day

2) gmail push is on and i get 10-15 emails & reply a day

3) 4-8 hrs of music continuously throughout the day

4) 2-4hrs of internet usage on 3G

I only ask because I use the plug/unplug method in the morning to make sure battery is charged 100% and about to buy the charger on ebay.

Does anyone know if Seidio's charger does the same thing (i.e. charge really slow and trickle charges?) I would pay more to be able to charge the phone and a battery all at once, especially when I'm traveling and just carry one charger for both.

"Heavy usage" in my world is probably what you do and with a touch of 4g and bluetooth on. The plug and play method does not work with me cause the phone still trickles down. I'm good swapping out my 3 oem batteries that will guarantee me through my whole day, so I don't have to worry about battery management and trying to find a wall socket. But these battery chargers really charge the batteries 10 times better then the Evo.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it is a cheesy charger, but it works.if your planning to charge this during a fligt to the moon then this is not for you. But it should be right for us non astronauts

I tell you what.... I got a similar charger.... Before I even got the phone I ordered a spare battery and a charger to just charge the spare battery so I could quickly and easily swap them out.... I went about 5 days with the stock battery and then switched it out to the Seidio 1750 mAh battery.... I was averaging 12 - 14 hours per day on a single charge with what I consider moderate use.... I then decided to swap back to the stock battery and all of a sudden I went from 12 - 14 to barely getting 6 hours out of a single charge. I swapped out batteries 3 or 4 times and all the same 6 hours... Even with Spare parts and ATK I couldn't figure out why or what was eating my battery... I noticed two nights in a row while sleeping I left the phone on and off the charger and the awake time and up time were almost identical so something was running in the back ground.... Finally I just did a factory reset and I am now back to my usual 12 - 14 hours... No clue WTF was eating it up. and it all started when I started swapping batteries....

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I got the charger yesterday n today decided to run my seidio extended battery down into the 20s, n put in on the charger around 12pm n it is still charging. Guess I shouldn't completely run the battery down if I plan on charging it with this charger.

Will report back tomorrow on how long the battery lasts coming off this SLOW trickle charge.

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, this is all well and good, but does anybody know if there is a trickle charger that plugs into the phone? If you only have one battery, it's a lot easier to just plug it in instead of removing it every night to charge it.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
my stock battery in my evo drops to 93 percent within minutes of being off the charger. i was informed that everyone's evo does this. is that true?

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
my stock battery in my evo drops to 93 percent within minutes of being off the charger. i was informed that everyone's evo does this. is that true?

Yes for some reason when Evo reaches 100% it starts to run off the battery. Just unplug it and after couple minutes plug it back in while u r getting ready in the morning.

UPDATE: I really wish Shootme still works on the Evo because this method CHARGES the battery.

I put the charged battery 8 hrs ago, using it as I normally do, and I'm still at 76%. Normally when charged via OEM charger, I would be at 40-50 %.

If u have 2 batteries might as well spend extra $3 n pick one up.

Last edited:

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Updating in separate post because I want this to get bumped.

It's been 15hrs since last charge and my battery is still at 56%. Granted the last 6hrs have been idle, since I was sleeping, the battery didn't even drop 1% overnight (it was at 68% when I went to bed). For the last hr I have been surfing the web & the drop in battery is slow.

Will report back later after the 20hr mark and see where the battery is before recharging it & swapping out for the OEM.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay, this is all well and good, but does anybody know if there is a trickle charger that plugs into the phone? If you only have one battery, it's a lot easier to just plug it in instead of removing it every night to charge it.

No, the charger circuitry is in the phone. All the charger (or USB cable) does is supply input voltage to the charger in the phone. The phone decides how charged the battery is and when to stop charging it. That said, using the USB connector on a computer will limit the maximum voltage to 500 ma. Check Amazon; you might find an AC charger that puts out less than 1000 ma.

The last two days I monitored this. I leave my phone charging all night, with WiFi, BT and GPS radios turned on. (I leave BT and GPS on pretty much all the time, and WiFi whenever I'm at home.) The first night I charge from a 1000 ma charger, then second from my computer's USB port.

All I did after unplugging the first morning was read an email, and check the battery at the intervals below:

Day 1: immediately after unplugging 99%
30 minutes later: 95%
60 minutes later (90 minutes total): 91%

The second day (today) I checked a few emails, and got 3 or 4 calendar alarms, which probably used slightly more battery:
Day 2: immediately after unplugging 100%
30 minutes later: 96%
60 minutes later (90 total): 91%

It doesn't appear charging at lower current makes any real difference, and no, not everyone loses 10% in a few minutes.

What apps do you have running that do background processing, especially background syncing? Do you use a task killer, or close a bunch of things at night (or turn the phone off)? If you do any of those things, the first thing the phone will do when it "wakes up" is go out and sync all your various email, facebook, twitter, news and weather feeds, then yeah, it's going to suck down a lot of battery right away.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why is it people mistake longer battery life for misreported battery usage?

People get upset when their battery reports a 7% drop in minutes, but when it lasts 6 hours without dropping, no one says a word, despite that also being totally incorrect. It's like, as long as the readings LOOK good, then it doesn't matter if they're horridly inaccurate.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't appear charging at lower current makes any real difference, and no, not everyone loses 10% in a few minutes.

I dont know charging with the universal battery charger at 250mah max output, seems to do wonders to the battery. It drains a lot slower and I dont have that drop off within the first 10-30minutes.

Also with the USB charging, I noticed the battery goes longer if taken off the charger within minutes of it flashing green. Even with the USB cord, the battery seems to start draining once it hits 100% instead of a slow trickle charge to keep the battery charging when plugged.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc