06-21-2012 12:49 PM
43 12
tools
    Hi I just bought a cheap $4.00 universal battery charger from Ebay and started charging it last light and popped it in my Evo this morning and the battery stayed at a full 100 for a half hour with with barely any usage, which is how it should be if you don't use your phone. When charging the battery in the Evo, It would go from 100 to 90 in 10 minutes with no usage. When charging it with the battery charger it stayed at a 100 for 20mins with no trickle down effect. I'm going to do some more test, but so far I think its a flaw in the Evo hardware circuits for it to lose battery power so fast with minimal usage. I'll post back with more results

06-27-2010 08:40 AM
    That's an interesting charger right there.
    06-27-2010 08:43 AM
    yupp, I get the same results with my Seidio charger. my phone will go anywhere from 1hr to 1.5hrs before dropping below 100%
    06-27-2010 08:44 AM
    That's an interesting charger right there.

yeah it a cheap charger that doesn't hold your battery securely but its cheap and it works. and it works with any cell phone battery
    06-27-2010 08:50 AM
    yeah it a cheap charger that doesn't hold your battery securely but its cheap and it works. and it works with any cell phone battery
    Nice, got a link?
    06-27-2010 08:51 AM
    Nice, got a link?
    I bought it from this seller on Ebay NEW BATTERY CHARGER for HTC EVO 4G / Imagio / HERO - eBay (item 220614082618 end time Jun-29-10 05:46:06 PDT)

But if you type in "universal cell phone battery charger", you will get many more options.

When I first open the box It looked like some cheap dollar store product, but it works like a charm.
    Yourdogsdead likes this.
    06-27-2010 08:56 AM
    Can you look at the specs for the charger? It says that it has an output of 250ma, that will charge the phone but very slowly. Does the charger plug in?
    06-27-2010 09:00 AM
    Can you look at the specs for the charger? It says that it has an output of 250ma, that will charge the phone but very slowly. Does the charger plug in?

yes thats right, it does not charge that fast. so the next one i buy may have to be a lot higher. but I'm now at 1 full hour and im still at 100% charge.. so this unit works for me, i might have to gamble with another seller that sells one that will charge the battery a little faster, but this is good for me for now.
    06-27-2010 09:05 AM
    It's fine, I will buy two batteries and just charge one of the over night. Thanks for the info
    06-27-2010 09:06 AM
    It says that it has an output of 250ma, that will charge the phone but very slowly.
    That's probably the reason for the better battery life. Charging a battery slowly will get you a more complete charge, which means it will last longer.
    06-27-2010 09:30 AM
    I'm more than an hour strong at a full 100% battery using this method. i can finally use this phone the way i want to.

06-27-2010 09:34 AM
    That's probably the reason for the better battery life. Charging a battery slowly will get you a more complete charge, which means it will last longer.
    how true is your statement? im by no means an electrician but my battery is lasting a lot longer.
    06-27-2010 09:36 AM
    Its true...I think...
    06-27-2010 09:41 AM
    how true is your statement? im by no means an electrician but my battery is lasting a lot longer.
    Better be a chemist, we are dealing with batteries. What he says makes sense, kind of. I don't know if it's the same for Lithium-ion polymer batteries as it is with Lead-Acid batteries. Apparently some charges cheat and say 70% charge is equal to 100%.
    06-27-2010 09:42 AM
    what if you just don't buy stuff from ebay? do you have another link?
    06-27-2010 01:14 PM
    I got 2 white battery chargers from fommy.com. I think they were 5 bucks each. Not sure about the specs of the charger, but they do charge slow. Which has proven to make my battery last longer. The charger will light up pink when charging and change to blue when done. That and 2 1500mah stock HTC batterys has made me a worry free Evo user.
    06-27-2010 01:22 PM
    what if you just don't buy stuff from ebay? do you have another link?
    Universal Battery Travel Charger - HP iPAQ Glisten

It does take forever to charge.but it works great when you have two spares.this is a great methods.
    06-27-2010 01:53 PM
    Geez, that thing looks flaky. The slightest bump and you could break contact.
    06-27-2010 03:36 PM
    I am neither a chemist or an expert on batteries, but I do have a science background. Regardless, I remember some talk about this subject previously. My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the OEM charger will charge overnight to 100% and then stop. So let's say you plug your phone in at 11pm and it finishes charging at 3am. Then the phone will just use power from 3am until you unplug is at 8am. It doesn't "trickle" charge it throughout the night.

That's why some people will unplug their phones at 8am and see a drop to 85% within minutes. Some people have advised unplugging/replugging the phone as soon as you wake up so it can charge again until you are ready to leave the house and have seen better results with this.

Perhaps this aftermarket charger actually trickles throughout the night so you end up having a true 100% as soon as you unplug the phone in the morning.

What do you guys think?
    06-27-2010 03:52 PM
    Here is the link:

forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/18215-why-your-battery-drops-10-15-first-20-minutes.html
    Buckeyes likes this.
    06-27-2010 03:53 PM
    Geez, that thing looks flaky. The slightest bump and you could break contact.
    Yeah it is a cheesy charger, but it works.if your planning to charge this during a fligt to the moon then this is not for you. But it should be right for us non astronauts
    06-27-2010 04:16 PM
    This method works wonders. I went from 2hr 30min per charging from the phone. To almost 9 hours from charging it from a cheap battery charger. I have been using this phone since I first posted this morning with heavy usage. This is the only problem I had with this phone. Now I'm finally happy with this phone.

06-27-2010 05:23 PM
    This method works wonders. I went from 2hr 30min per charging from the phone. To almost 9 hours from charging it from a cheap battery charger. I have been using this phone since I first posted this morning with heavy usage. This is the only problem I had with this phone. Now I'm finally happy with this phone.

Im curious to know how you define "heavy usage" and could explain how you were using your phone? Because I was getting 12-13 hrs on stock from normal usage which for me is:

1) 30min-1hr phonecall thru the day

2) gmail push is on and i get 10-15 emails & reply a day

3) 4-8 hrs of music continuously throughout the day

4) 2-4hrs of internet usage on 3G

I only ask because I use the plug/unplug method in the morning to make sure battery is charged 100% and about to buy the charger on ebay.

Does anyone know if Seidio's charger does the same thing (i.e. charge really slow and trickle charges?) I would pay more to be able to charge the phone and a battery all at once, especially when I'm traveling and just carry one charger for both.
    06-27-2010 07:34 PM
    I am neither a chemist or an expert on batteries, but I do have a science background. Regardless, I remember some talk about this subject previously. My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the OEM charger will charge overnight to 100% and then stop. So let's say you plug your phone in at 11pm and it finishes charging at 3am. Then the phone will just use power from 3am until you unplug is at 8am. It doesn't "trickle" charge it throughout the night.

That's why some people will unplug their phones at 8am and see a drop to 85% within minutes. Some people have advised unplugging/replugging the phone as soon as you wake up so it can charge again until you are ready to leave the house and have seen better results with this.

Perhaps this aftermarket charger actually trickles throughout the night so you end up having a true 100% as soon as you unplug the phone in the morning.

What do you guys think?
    This is correct. Just charge the battery in phone using the included HTC charter until the LED goes green and unplug. I've had the phone off the charger for 15 hours today and I'm still at 88% on the battery. I'm seeing less than 1% battery use per hour when the phone is idling (which seems to be where the biggest battery wastage seems to happen).

So don't go through all the trouble of charging externally and swapping daily. Just charge in phone, but remember to unplug when charging is complete or replenish the charge for a few minutes just prior to unplugging for the day.
    06-27-2010 10:51 PM
    either some are exaggerating or don't actually use their phones.
    i talk and stream music a few hours and read rss. mostly wifi, very little 3g data. gps usually on.
    i have gotten as little as 3.5hrs to as much as 6hrs. that's it, no more, ever. actually i have found that workable. i don't have a problem plugging in. people saying" i'm getting 15hrs stock" is amazing to me. i don't understand how that can be. i use the features that i paid for and it drains the battery. i do want a better battery experience. i'll certainly try a slow charger if that helps. seems more reasonable than other fixes
    06-28-2010 05:17 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD