[Review] Amzer Luxe Argyle Skin Case

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Alright, fellas and ladies -- just got in the mail, from fommy.com, my Amzer Luxe Argyle Skin Case. On the package it's called a TPU Soft Gel Skin Case.

4749352087_343555cfcd.jpg

This is the picture of the case from fommy.com and I will try to get some of my own posted up later.

First impression: Battery Life seems to be dramatically improved with the case on. In the 4 minutes since the case has been installed the battery hasn't drained a bit. So, let's turn the phone on now and see how the case does that way.

Actual first impression: The plastic feels good to the touch. Not rubbery, but also not slippery. I was afraid it would have that new plastic slipperiness to it, but there is none. As far as fitment goes -- it installs easily with minor to no stretching over corners. The plastic reminds me of the barbie shoes I used to steal from my sister and chew on. Probably just as simple to install as the HTC rubber skin I got from Sprint. This case, however, holds onto the phone a bit better on the sides. The Sprint case was loose on the sides and did't run parallel to the screen edges (i am anal like that). The Amzer case does much better and only the right side of the case has a little warp to it. Once on -- you don't feel the phone moving around in the case at all. We will see if it stays that way.

Now the picture above actually looks worse than the case on my phone. If you notice around the kickstand the warping -- that isn't present on my case. The cutout around flashes, lens, and speaker phone are all perfect. As well as the cutout for the kickstand and ports. There is not cutout for the buttons, but Amzer did a perfect job of thinning the plastic just around the buttons and then bulking it back up on top of the buttons. They are now easier to press with the Amzer case than they were with the HTC rubber case from Sprint. Like, totally, shockingly easier to press like. I would dare call it a perfect implementation.

Warning: If you change your battery or SD card a lot then this case is not for you. And i say that because just like every soft plastic case I have seen I believe constant stretching of it will loosen its fit over time.

Now on to camera lens protection. dun dun dunnnnnnn. Meh.

Since the case is just ever so slightly thinner than the rubber case -- it provides adequate distance from a surface and the camera lens ring. However, the top of the lens may not be as guarded as the rest. This is a result of, again, the case not being as thick and the curvature of the phone pulls it away towards the top making the lens ring more or less flush with the case at the 12 o'clock location. It is that curvature that will keep the lens from resting on most surfaces, but I still think it's likely you will may find scratches on the top part of that lens ring if you're not careful. I am taking a close look at it and it appears the case brings the lens ring just barely off a surface. And I do mean just barely. brb, gonna put the HTC rubber case back on and compare. Ok, so the HTC rubber case gives you about twice as much clearance than the Amzer case. Keep in mind, though, we are talking such small distances that twice as much really isn't much at all. Bottom line: the Amzer case keeps the camera lens ring from resting directly on a surface.

The aesthetics of the case are nice. I bought it for the argyle print and it comes through nicely over the phone. It isn't as prounounced as the initial graphic fommy.com used, but I am not disappointed. The pattern of the case alternates between clear and color with the color bits still being transparent. It allows you to see the HTC emblem and Sprint 4G mark clearly through the case. I think that looks classy. There are four points (two on either side) where the case was attached to a mold or what not. They aren't distracting at all and I didn't notice them until just now. Only time will tell how it handles scuffs and scrapes.

Pocketability is greatly improved and makes it slide in and out as if it were naked. (brown chicken brown cow)

Did I mention how well they did the button encasing? Picture me as a chef with a big, white floppy hat kissing all five finger tips: "Man - you - feek" (sp?)

Added: The kickstand seems to work better with the Amzer case than it did with the HTC rubber case. I love that little kickstand.

The negatives: Ever so slightly warped on the right side of the case against the screen where the volume rockers are. 12 o'clock position of the lens ring isn't as protected (because of the thickness of the plastic). And that's it so far.

The negatives with fommy.com: You said it would ship on three different dates and you finally stuck with 6/22. I called on 6/24 and you decided to print a shipping label. Then you didn't actually ship the darn thing until 06/28. That is booty, son. Also, when i e-mailed you to swap one item for another you didn't respond and in my actual order you just removed the item I incorrectly selected. Which I guess is alright, but still -- you didn't respond.

Anway, I am gonna go live life and see how this case holds up. I will try to snap some pictures, but I don't really have a camera that performs well. My Evo takes better pictures, honestly. Take that Evo camera haters. But I will do my best.

I have not proof read or spelled checked this, so be kind. If you have any questions -- don't bother asking. I told you all the important stuff you need to know and if there is anything you care to know it probably isn't worth knowing. Nah, just kidding. Ask away.

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Terrible customer service, the product might be good. But in never got mine in the mail. Waited like a week to for shipping info, checked online, my order went from "processing" to "shipped" to "out of stock" in that order. Didn't get it in the mail, called them up, asked what was going on. They had no answers for me what so ever. Asked them if i could get upgraded shipping they said no. Waited another few days, still nothing, called again. Again they had no answers for me. Canceled my order and then sent an email to the US distributors/managers. They told me i would get one for free, with expedited shipping. The usps confirmation number i got still hasn't changed in over a week. Still no case.

Don't call me impatient. Because if it says 3-5 day shipping i expect to have the item within a week. Anything that happens on their end is not my problem. All in all terrible experience. Darn shame too, the Orange Luxe case looked friggen sweet. Don't know what case i'm gonna buy now. But it probably wont be from Amzer.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I also am getting the run around from Amzer. In the meantime, I ordered from this site- HTC Evo 4G TPU Flexi Skin Case - Smoke Check

I ll see which gets here first. I can say that you are at least able to get someone knowledgeable on the phone at this place.

I am not a big fan of the cases that just have on big cut out for the flashes, lens, and speaker. The amzer case is literally perfectly fit around those three.

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Ordered mine on the ninth and didn't hear a thing from them until I finally started calling yesterday. Very bad customer service...I could barely understand them. After arguing they finally got one in the mail today and I'm looking forward to getting the order in a few days.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Ordered mine on the ninth and didn't hear a thing from them until I finally started calling yesterday. Very bad customer service...I could barely understand them. After arguing they finally got one in the mail today and I'm looking forward to getting the order in a few days.

yeah, off shore CS is a challenge to understand at times. i was glad i am just a few hours away from Sugar Land where they were ship from.

hammersfd#WN

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
I just got my amzer luxe argyle case, and it has the big oval cutout for the camera, flash, and speaker. Are people getting them with the smaller cutouts, and if so could you post some pics.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I just got my amzer luxe argyle case, and it has the big oval cutout for the camera, flash, and speaker. Are people getting them with the smaller cutouts, and if so could you post some pics.

oh, man boo for the big cut out. mine has three perfect cutouts like the lead pic. i will eventually get my own pics posted.

where did you order from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781