Case-Mate Barely There case?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i don't like it. i have a silicon gel TPU case that wraps around the top/bottom front parts of the phone. With my luck, if I had that case, it would fall in those areas and ding my phone up.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the Amzer version of this case and its only 12.95 with a screen protector. It's the perfect thin and light case that look and feels barely there. This case covers the back, sides and corners of the phone, the corners prevent the top and bottom from touching a flat surface.

Amzer? Simple Click On Case with Screen Protector - Rubberized Black For HTC EVO 4G
My problem with the Amzer case is that it doesn't appear to protect the camera well enough.

I like how the Case-Mate adds a ring of a little extra height around the camera. The cut-out in that area is also smaller, providing more coverage.

That's also my main gripe with the Seidio Innocase II. From all the photos I've seen, the camera lens appears to be nearly flush with the case (so it's probably slightly recessed)... which means it's probably OK if you just set it down on something, but it won't handle moving it around on an uneven surface as well as something like the Case-Mate. I might overlook that, but considering how expensive the Innocase is and all the fit problems people are having with it, I'm looking for an alternative.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i don't like it. i have a silicon gel TPU case that wraps around the top/bottom front parts of the phone. With my luck, if I had that case, it would fall in those areas and ding my phone up.
I currently have the black HTC silicon gel case (from the Sprint store), and although the phone is very well-protected, the case is too bulky and it's just not pocket-friendly enough for me (too hard to put in / take out, collects too much lint).

I always forget how nice and slim the phone feels until I remove the gel case and use the Evo bare.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks nice, I may get it. I tried the Black gel case from Best Buy (Rocketfish) and hated it. Way to "grippy" to take in and out of pockets, plus it attracts a lot of lint. It advertises, "Full Face Screen protection included." I assume that just means it comes with a separate screen protector?

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks nice, I may get it. I tried the Black gel case from Best Buy (Rocketfish) and hated it. Way to "grippy" to take in and out of pockets, plus it attracts a lot of lint. It advertises, "Full Face Screen protection included." I assume that just means it comes with a separate screen protector?
I also assume it comes with a separate screen protector.

One potential problem I see is that it doesn't appear to have any felt lining in it. It's also not clear how it attaches to the Evo from the photos.

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I also assume it comes with a separate screen protector.

One potential problem I see is that it doesn't appear to have any felt lining in it. It's also not clear how it attaches to the Evo from the photos.

It snaps on from the back. Like any similar case. No need for felt lining.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It snaps on from the back. Like any similar case. No need for felt lining.
Haven't a lot of people experienced scratches from cases that are purely hard plastic contacting the phone? Dirt tends to get stuck in between the case and the phone and then rubs up against it.

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Haven't a lot of people experienced scratches from cases that are purely hard plastic contacting the phone? Dirt tends to get stuck in between the case and the phone and then rubs up against it.

I have one on my ipod touch and haven't had that problem. They are really good cases.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This case doesn't do anything for putting the phone face down, does it? The screen would still be flat on whatever surface I set it on, right? And yes I have a screen protector but I still don't want to set my phone right on the display. I have the HTC version of the Innocase and it fits OK but the bottom has some flex. I like the looks but something like the barely there would be more my preference.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This case doesn't do anything for putting the phone face down, does it? The screen would still be flat on whatever surface I set it on, right? And yes I have a screen protector but I still don't want to set my phone right on the display. I have the HTC version of the Innocase and it fits OK but the bottom has some flex. I like the looks but something like the barely there would be more my preference.
It's not clear from the photos, but I looked at a review for the IPhone "Barely There" case, and they said that it did not protrude beyond the front of the case (actually sat slightly below it).

If we assume the Evo case is similar, then this case won't protect the screen when putting it face down. But, personally I think I prefer it this way.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not clear from the photos, but I looked at a review for the IPhone "Barely There" case, and they said that it did not protrude beyond the front of the case (actually sat slightly below it).

If we assume the Evo case is similar, then this case won't protect the screen when putting it face down. But, personally I think I prefer it this way.

For me 95% it's face up (i don't do conference calls or nething like that with my phone) and I have a screen protector. I think it's just mostly getting over the fact that I don't have a "lip" to save me if I do drop it and it lands wrong.

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
For me 95% it's face up (i don't do conference calls or nething like that with my phone) and I have a screen protector. I think it's just mostly getting over the fact that I don't have a "lip" to save me if I do drop it and it lands wrong.
I understand... mostly the peace of mind aspect. I have the HTC gel case right now and I do appreciate how I can just set it face down without worrying about it (it has a lip). But that extra lip also seems to make a big difference in making it feel more bulky for me, so it's a trade-off like anything else. I think the bulkiness bothers me more.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I understand... mostly the peace of mind aspect. I have the HTC gel case right now and I do appreciate how I can just set it face down without worrying about it (it has a lip). But that extra lip also seems to make a big difference in making it feel more bulky for me, so it's a trade-off like anything else. I think the bulkiness bothers me more.

Have you seen a case like the barely there (with the thinness of the material) but also that has a small (doesn't have to be big just enough to lift the screen off the table) lip? I haven't. :(

Nate#AC

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you seen a case like the barely there (with the thinness of the material) but also that has a small (doesn't have to be big just enough to lift the screen off the table) lip? I haven't. :(
The only one I can think of that *might* fit those requirements is this:

HTC Evo 4G Rubberized Shield Snap On Hard Case Black

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it might have a small lip. It's only $7 so it might be worth a try :)

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Seidio, it's very thin and the camera doesn't touch when you lay it on the back and the screen doesn't touch when you lay it face down.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The only one I can think of that *might* fit those requirements is this:

HTC Evo 4G Rubberized Shield Snap On Hard Case Black

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it might have a small lip. It's only $7 so it might be worth a try :)

I MIGHT try it, but it's hard to tell if it keeps the camera from getting scratched, too. Damn thing has to have a camera that sticks out. lol

Seidio, it's very thin and the camera doesn't touch when you lay it on the back and the screen doesn't touch when you lay it face down.

I've been hearing mixed things about the Innocase II, even the updated version. I wanna believe that I wouldn't have any problems, but the ones that I've held are just as think as the HTC case that I'm using now, which is very similar in design to the Innocase.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia