Using a dremel to modify harder plastic case

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone done this or even considered it to modify the cases to fit with the extended batteries?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

MAXIMUS1000

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone done this or even considered it to modify the cases to fit with the extended batteries?

Yes,Actually if I had the proper dremel tool with the appropriate round blade attachment head for that clean cut I would have a customized innocase ll,or even better cutting the rear plastic piece on the innocase active,but yes I've thought of it.

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I might try it I'm thinking about ordering the seidio battery this Friday.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Did you get it from Amazon?

Thanks

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I might try it I'm thinking about ordering the seidio battery this Friday.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Did you get it from Amazon?

Thanks

i bought my 3500mAh from Amazon for $59.99 (retails @ 69.99 officially) and paid $10 for shipping.
it's worth it. i can go 2 full days without charge--and using the phone in every way.

i ordered a soft case (.01c on Amazon) & used a credit card template to cut out the back to accomodate the soft case--took me 5 minutes and it looks professional.
ordered another Hard case ($7.99 Amazon) and am going to cut out the back with my dremel this weekend when it arrives on Friday.
it's actually really easy--use a credit card/drivers license as the template. mark it with a paint pen, or use an exacto-knife to carve a groove on the cover and then something sharper to actually do the final cut.
ordered

digink#AC

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i bought my 3500mAh from Amazon for $59.99 (retails @ 69.99 officially) and paid $10 for shipping.
it's worth it. i can go 2 full days without charge--and using the phone in every way.

i ordered a soft case (.01c on Amazon) & used a credit card template to cut out the back to accomodate the soft case--took me 5 minutes and it looks professional.
ordered another Hard case ($7.99 Amazon) and am going to cut out the back with my dremel this weekend when it arrives on Friday.
it's actually really easy--use a credit card/drivers license as the template. mark it with a paint pen, or use an exacto-knife to carve a groove on the cover and then something sharper to actually do the final cut.
ordered

Awesome thanks, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this battery. I do pretty good with the stock one but I'd love that piece of mind of not having to care.

MAXIMUS1000

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Only prob I'd see with modding a 2piece innocase type would be that you'd be cutting off the center piece section which has the tabs that connect and hold the 2halves together,so I'm thinking it might have to be an "innocase active"style?

Doyer

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I've never used a dremel on an EVO case, but I've used one on different plastics with varying results. If the plastic is soft, it can heat up and you can cut through it like butter, but then the plastic get all gunked up in the bit and you can warp it. On harder plastics it's not as much of a problem, but it's harder to get smooth edges.

In general, very minor mods are much easier (obviously), but plastic hardness could be an issue.

MAXIMUS1000

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to state the obvious,but its just Amazing how the "extended battery carry solutions" venue hasn't really been tapped into by seidio or any other Chinese aftermarket companies with basic silicone protective cases.Granted its easily been discovered how to modify jelly cases,but what about the average Joe who isn't too handy and is wayy too anal for a choppy job,and is more than willing to drop $15 for a nicely designed silicone or snap on case for his/her device.perfect time for a connection to someone in the fabrication industry.

Last edited:

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to state the obvious,but its just Amazing how the "extended battery carry solutions" venue hasn't really been tapped into by seidio or any other Chinese aftermarket companies with basic silicone protective cases.Granted its easily been discovered how to modify jelly cases,but what about the average Joe who isn't too handy and is wayy too anal for a choppy job,and is more than willing to drop $15 for a nicely designed silicone or snap on case for his/her device.perfect time for a connection to someone in the fabrication industry.

+1.