Power-Mat HTC Evo 4G with Phone Cover

JuiceBoy214

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
hello this is my first time on the forums :D
but i wanted to purchase the powermat single for the Evo, but i bought an otterbox and it was kind of expensive and i wouldnt want it to go to waste, so i was wondering will the phone charge even though it has a silicone layer,hard plastic layer, and a full body screen protector.?please help on the powemat website it says another case MAY reduce the charging or something. Anyone out there, give a helping hand?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Based on my experience with the Pre, a case like that likely will interfere with the charging. The inductive charge can only travel a very short distance, and the further the distance, the less power it produces.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
powermat is a "no go" for me for a bunch of reasons -

1. blocks charge port. think about when you are in the CAR and want to charge?
2. ugly, emblem/logo, bulky on device.
3. mat takes up space and looks awful.
4. not much utility/value vs. the little effort of just plugging it in.
5. cost.
6. limits case options.
7. PIA to remove to access microSD card, battery etc.
8. contraptions. i don't like contraptions.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
powermat is a "no go" for me for a bunch of reasons -

1. blocks charge port. think about when you are in the CAR and want to charge?
2. ugly, emblem/logo, bulky on device.
3. mat takes up space and looks awful.
4. not much utility/value vs. the little effort of just plugging it in.
5. cost.
6. limits case options.
7. PIA to remove to access microSD card, battery etc.
8. contraptions. i don't like contraptions.

I bought one (just the door, since I have the mat already), and have found the following:

1. it's just simple to unplug, and you can charge via regular car charger, nothing difficult.
2. Not bulky at all (it's not the same door as on other devices, this one looks a *LOT* like the regular battery door.. emblem is actually smaller than the HTC on the back of the regular door)
3. In my case, I already have a mat, but the single mat, doesn't seem to take up that much space.
4. Nice part is, I've already had one chargin port fail on an evo.. this lessens that chance.
5. Yeah, waaay tooo expensive.. should lower the price (luckily I got it with rewardzone cash at Best Buy).
6. True, definately limits to "soft" cases.. Hard cases would require a dremel at least..
7. It's just as easy to remove as the stock battery door (I don't know why people think it's any different).
8. Personal preferences...

I'm not saying that people should run out and get it, but I'm also not saying people shouldn't.. it's really a matter of preference... I miss the touchstone I had for my Pre... I wish they could do something like that for the Evo, but since not, the powermat is as close as it gets...

The powermat is a trade off.. do I want a nice hard case, or do I want to rely on the insurance...

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
has anyone tested using the powermat door with a touchstone? i have 3 touchstones in various locations and being able to charge both my pre and my evo using those touchstones would be awesome...

C01E

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I plan to pick up a powermat and I do also own a touchstone. Ill indeed give it a try. (plan to purchase on thursday at work and report results during the live chat / podcast)

dafuser

Jul 20, 2010
granburywx.net
I bought one (just the door, since I have the mat already), and have found the following:

1. it's just simple to unplug, and you can charge via regular car charger, nothing difficult.
2. Not bulky at all (it's not the same door as on other devices, this one looks a *LOT* like the regular battery door.. emblem is actually smaller than the HTC on the back of the regular door)
3. In my case, I already have a mat, but the single mat, doesn't seem to take up that much space.
4. Nice part is, I've already had one chargin port fail on an evo.. this lessens that chance.
5. Yeah, waaay tooo expensive.. should lower the price (luckily I got it with rewardzone cash at Best Buy).
6. True, definately limits to "soft" cases.. Hard cases would require a dremel at least..
7. It's just as easy to remove as the stock battery door (I don't know why people think it's any different).
8. Personal preferences...

I'm not saying that people should run out and get it, but I'm also not saying people shouldn't.. it's really a matter of preference... I miss the touchstone I had for my Pre... I wish they could do something like that for the Evo, but since not, the powermat is as close as it gets...

The powermat is a trade off.. do I want a nice hard case, or do I want to rely on the insurance...
I got one too. I already had a older model Powermat pad which can charge up to three devices. I use it to change my old iPhone, my Kindle, and a old Motorola Razor. Now I just drop the EVO on the old pad and it's charging. Nothin to plug in, just drop it on the pad and forget it.

All the objections about the case being bulky, hard to take off, etc., are non-factors. I can even fit my Case Mate Tough Case on my EVO after trimming a little bit off the bottom off the inner soft silicon part of the case.

I got the version that also came with the single pad and battery case. I use the single pad when I'm at work since my company doesn't want us to plug our phones into our computers, even if it's only for charging purposes.

It may not be for everyone, but it works for my purposes.

mmcnamara43

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
i love the power mat. i missed the touchstone from my Pre, its not bad or hard to use or takes up space. I broke the tab off and now i use power mat at home. Becareful not to lose that if it breaks off because it wont charge..ENJOY

Scott4551

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have now exchanged my Powermat for my 4G three times...Anyone else have the problem of the case and mat making the connection but the phone not charging?

I have to re connect about 10-20 times before it will start charging my phone....I called Powermat and they just said that Best Buy may have gotten a defective batch of cases....They will exchange the next one which will make the 4th Powermat I have tried

mmcnamara43

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
yea i had the same problem,i took it back.The charge port broke off and it was kinda hard to find the sweet spot to charge. hopefully they will fix.

zagato27

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
First post from a brand new EVO owner....actually 4 of them (wife, son, daughter and me). I've been thinking about this Power Mat system especially for my wife. Don't know about others but I am a bit concerned about fitting the usb cable into the port. First, the cable end is not really identified as to "this side up" for insertion. I find that I have to really look to make sure that I'm doing it correctly. If this is a bit of a problem for me, it probably goes double for my wife. The Power Mat system seems pretty slick in that you get the new "door" and then just drop it on the mat. A bit concerned about a couple of the comments here regarding the inability of charging and also of the "usb plug" from the new "door" breaking off. I'd like to hear from some long term users. Also, would it make more sense to get one of the mats that accepts two phones for charging (wife and I) or even the three mat portable version for traveling? Thanks in advance.

debsawyer

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Powermat and after using it one week I returned it. It stopped charging when I placed it on the mat. I also did not like the fact that the battery cover took away my charging capabilities when I am on the go. You would have to take your original battery cover with you if you are going to be gone all day so you can charge your phone. When I returned to Powermat I went to Sprint and purchased the charging cradle with the HDMI port. That works out better for me and it was $20 cheaper. Don't get me wrong the Powermat is a great product but not for me. If it worked like the touchstone that would be wonderful.

jrpope11

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes i had the same problem, Exchanged it and 2nd one is working fine. I contacted Powermat and they said they have had some reports of the connectors being loose on some of the first ones.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The idea is neat but for the same amount of cash (actually less) I got a spare battery and a wall charger just for the spare battery and instead of charging the battery with the phone I swap out batteries every day and if I get home after work and plan to be out kind of late I can swap again and by morning I got another full charged battery with out having to actually put the EVO down or plug it up to a charger (or charging mat)

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried getting one for my evo. Had a for a few hours.1,would not charge my phone.made the sound that it was charging but was not.and 2.with in this short amount of time the little tab broke off at bottom of back phone cover.now if I ever got it to charge my phone,i would have to worry about losing this little,very important piece.what a piece of crap.i took It right back.not to mention even if all went perfect,I hated that little piece sticking out the bottom of my phone.this was totally not worth it.

Sent using taptalk.

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Got a Powermat for Christmas from a Best Buy and it;s doing like everyone elses. It makes the sound and lights up like it's charging (even stays on) but does nothing. Guess I'll be returning it as well.

I'll probabley give another on a try as I really want this to work. If not I'll be trying the TS mod.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01