Otterbox Defender vs HC Ballistic Case?

Kage

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I've gone a few months without a case (was originally waiting for the Otterbox to come out) and after acquiring a tiny scratch.. I'm ready to get one. I was originally going to get the Otterbox Defender as I've heard great things about it, but then I heard about the HC Ballistic and it looks pretty nice.

So, I'm looking for someone with experience with both cases. I probably don't need a case this rugged, but it is in my nature to prepare for the worst :D

So what I'd like to know is:

Which do you think is better and why?
What differences are there in the screen protectors (do either make using the phone more difficult or collect more smudges?)?
How much bigger is the Ballistic with and without the extra rubber outer layer?
Which has the better holster?

My father has a otterbox commuter right now and it won't stay still on his middle console. I believe both the defender and ballistic are more slide resistant.. if you've got experience with this.. that's be helpful info as well.

Bonus question for those who've had a commuter and a defender: How much bigger is the defender?

I don't think size will bug me too much, but I am curious..

All help is greatly appreciated!

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have both cases, Otterbox was given to me free, but imo I prefer the Ballistic case. One thing I hate about the otterbox case is that the silicon part won't wrap around all the way and the way that flap is built looks like it'll stretch the case eventually.

I do prefer the built in screen protector in the otterbox over the ballistic case.

The ballistic case is damn well good overall. When it says it protects, it protects. Now my only knock against it is the cheap plasticy feel of the kickstand and the screen protector. it was a little too easy to get it smudged and such along with a few air bubbles despite being a built in screen protector. but still, I prefer the Ballistic case over the Otterbox. and all of it put together doesn't make the phone bulky at all.

Both holsters are good, but I'll give the slight edge to the Otterbox.

Reactions: Kage

Kage

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the screen goes, do you have another screen protector on it under the case? Also, have you tried the baby powder trick? I read that it helps with those problems.

I've never held the Defender so I'm curious how much larger it is than the Commuter and how much larger the Ballistic is. I read that without the 5th layer, the Ballistic is about the same as the Defender.

As for the holster, does the Ballistic stay secured? I like to clip my phones to my pants pocket, but junky holsters pop off easy.

I really appreciate your help and any other person's if they decide to chime in.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have another screen protecter under it, though the Ballistic case did come with one, which I didn't know when I ordered it. I'm glad it did.

It's not really that bulky, though it offers way more protection than the Defender case. Believe me, it actually feels kind of comfortable having my Evo in the Ballistic case. As for as secure goes with the holster, I think they're both pretty spot on, though I don't really use the holster at all.

Like I said earlier, when Ballistic said it protects, they really mean it.

btw, thanks for the powder trick. I found a Youtube video of it made by ballistic so ill give it a try.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Ballistic Case and it's excellent. I can't imagine a more secure case than this. It's big (with the outer layer) but the outer layer is optional and if you take it off, it is still very well protected. I don't have the Otterbox but I had the Sedio Ltd Edition Active from Amazon and the tabs on the skeleton shell broke off so I bought the Ballistic case. The holster is solid and you can wear it horizontally or vertically and is also very durable (see YT video)

grystrt60

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I know this thread is old but if anyone else is psychotic about caring for their phone I thought my two cents might help.

I just bought both for my EVO 4G and I have to say that after a week with each on my phone I have to go with the Defender. I am an athletic trainer and am frequently outside in all of the elements. I also use my phone as my primary means of communication on and off the field and in and out of the hospital.

The Defender feels better in your hand and protects great from drops, light water (rain/sweat), dirt, and temperature extremes. The Ballistic felt way too clunky and the screen protector kept fogging and scratched fairly early into it's use.

I don't like having such a big protective cover on my phone but if I had to go with one or the other I'm Defender all the way.

flowjoe16

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
U had a hc ballistic case and and I have a otterbox now...only problem with otter box is it just comes in black for the evo...great case just kinda plain the iPhone has like 30 different colors in otterbox now the ballistic case is cool and looks cool my only problem with it is that when you make a call the screen turns black and is inoperable when you want to end the call...you have to physically take off the case to end the call.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
U had a hc ballistic case and and I have a otterbox now...only problem with otter box is it just comes in black for the evo...great case just kinda plain the iPhone has like 30 different colors in otterbox now the ballistic case is cool and looks cool my only problem with it is that when you make a call the screen turns black and is inoperable when you want to end the call...you have to physically take off the case to end the call.

Have you contacted Ballistic about this? The problem is your case is interfering with your proximity sensor. It seems some cases were a bit off, which caused this problem. Others have reported this issue and were given free replacements.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

keithdlee2011

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that the Otterbox is the better buy since my Ballistic case makes my voice sound muffled to some. I need to sell my Ballistic and get a new Otterbox for my Samsung Infuse.

steevenweed

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
hi . i buy both. first i buy the otterbox. for me i dont like it , was to weight. . maybe 3 time the ipad. for the protection it was very good. the rubber was nice to held .you feel the same touch anywhere cause it was in 1 piece . you have an plastic you can remove if you want a stand or not .the plastic fit with the rubber. but personnaly i remove it.you have include .inside the rubber you have a rigid plastic covered the ipad.well made with screen protector include with the rigid plastic case.,but it only protec for scratch and dust. and if you broke it you probably have to buy the hole brand new thing( brand new otterbox). now for the ballistic. personnaly it was my choice. you have rubber fitted your pad . i think he is better than otterbox cause the protection are concentrate in the corner.i tink is the better way to protect the ipad if he fall. if the otterbox have is rigid case inside. .the ballistic rigid plastic cover are fitted after the rubber. the feeling in the hand are similar than the otterbox and for the same weight both of them. the ballistic dont have the sreen protector. you have to buy an film. but the ballistic have a very better thing to protect the screen . a very very hard plastic cover for the screen. with this you can bring your ipad anywhere and feel very protected with this case. if you think go anywhere with your ipad . no doubt take the ballistic. if you stay at home the plastic cover can be too much for your use . but with the biggest corner protection, the ballistic still the best choice. i sell my otterbox and the best thing i do is buying the ballistic. use it with the i- moshi sreen protector . with this your screen have no bubble. can be wash and with the ballistic maxx . you have the best for your ipad. . i have an ipad 2 and an ipad 3 and both fit with the ballistic .no problem
l

steevenweed

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
i have buy the ballistic to for my samsung s lll after i loose my iphone . and trust me this piss me off ,. with the ballistic ,i dont have that problem. for those interested i have a brand new otterbox defender for iphone 4s or 4 and an solar case provide an infinite time for yor phone, 3 other in leather. and one for your arm . i have the H2O audio amphibec too with this one you can let your iphone fall in water no problem at all. under 10 feet of water, all for a nice price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy