Evo battery thread (charging, size, replacements, aftermarket..ect)

donald.aleshire

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the specs regarding the HD2, the battery life looks decent. The size of the battery is a little small when in comparison to the size of the actual device. In some reviews I saw, people said the battery life was average but the standby time was outstanding! 290 hours or something like that

Now, that is running WinMo 6.5 with HTC sense covering it up. Does Android do a better job managing power for this type of phone? Just wondering people opinions. I also hope they put a large battery in, maybe a 1400mh battery...

I guess we will all know soon enough, but any opinions?

crowordove

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I looked at the specs regarding the HD2, the battery life looks decent. The size of the battery is a little small when in comparison to the size of the actual device. In some reviews I saw, people said the battery life was average but the standby time was outstanding! 290 hours or something like that

Now, that is running WinMo 6.5 with HTC sense covering it up. Does Android do a better job managing power for this type of phone? Just wondering people opinions. I also hope they put a large battery in, maybe a 1400mh battery...

I guess we will all know soon enough, but any opinions?

1500mh battery listed in the specs so if it can be compared to the HD2 it should be fine.

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I feel like battery life is going to be the biggest question mark about this device heading up to its release.

Seems like it would need an unheard of battery to run such a beast of a device.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It should be more efficient than a Hero which has the same battery. That being said, that screen is going to draw some serious power. I have a 3500mAh for my Hero now, interested as well what seidio cooks up to see if the width will be barable.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
the EVO's battery is still just a 1500 mAh battery... which is a bit of a dissappointment... I'm running a Seidio 1600 mAh battery with my Nexus, which came with a 1400 mAh... so 200mAh/14% improvement... good for maybe an extra hour or two a day with typical usage... still not that earth shattering... can't in a million years ever think of going two days without a charge... it would die overnight regardless of what I do...

hoping the EVO 4G battery life is no worse than that of the Nexus... otherwise, might was well carry a spare battery and a charger everywhere you go... maybe even one of those solar panel chargers... ;) lol

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I know the headaches I have had with my Pre's battery. I'm willing to take a chance on this but I am sure we will see some testing and reviews in the near future.

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
With my Palm Pre (HORRIBLE BATTERY), I have a "patch" installed to allow me to turn off the data services, which increases battery life A LOT.

Can you do similar things like this with Android, or will I need to get some sort of custom ROM to do this?

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It should be more efficient than a Hero which has the same battery. That being said, that screen is going to draw some serious power. I have a 3500mAh for my Hero now, interested as well what seidio cooks up to see if the width will be barable.

Not sure the screen will draw too much more power. If you look at the resolution, it has the same specs as the N1, so the same number of pixels are being powered. However, the lack of AMOLED will increase power usage.\

I am more concerned about CDMA vs GSM for power consumption. I believe in the past CDMA has been shown to be more power hungry.

Ozmodiar

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yeah...I had read the Engadget one before, and I've certainly seen the "Official" spec sheets be wrong...so it'll be interesting to see who ends up being right.

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
This phone needs a big battery like bettween 1500-1650 mAh because it runs HDMI which will run the battery and HQ videos from youtube it has a 8MP camera and not along all the widgets that will just run that thing so yes battery will be the big ? the specs yes AMAZING price well we will see and battery big ?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It has a 1500 mAh battery. Same as the Hero, which runs on an inefficient OS and slower processor and gets about a day. Mix that with a 1Ghz (may want to underclock when not needed to save battery) which in theory would be more efficient, 2.1 which is definitely more efficient, but a ridiculously huge screen (in a good way) which could be a drain depending on technology used. AMOLED would be a pain in sunlight, but would be a better choice for battery conservation.

russellpr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
For me, the main battery concern with this phone twin radios: 4G and 3G. Since we've never seen a phone with WiMax radio, it will be interesting to see what "adequate" battery life claims will mean once this phone gets into the wild.

illushinz

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
For me, the main battery concern with this phone twin radios: 4G and 3G. Since we've never seen a phone with WiMax radio, it will be interesting to see what "adequate" battery life claims will mean once this phone gets into the wild.

/AGREE!

The device must actually have THREE data radios in it, CDMA, 802.11b/g and 802.16 (WiMax). Don't know about you guys, but unless you're sure you're in a 4G (which isnt really 4G anyway, its Sprint's current iteration of HSDPA) coverage area I'd turn WiMax off (if that's possible) and I usually leave WiFi off on my devices unless I'm at home or the office for a while, where I know the signal is stable.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

BT and a gps receiver.

/AGREE!

The device must actually have THREE data radios in it, CDMA, 802.11b/g and 802.16 (WiMax). Don't know about you guys, but unless you're sure you're in a 4G (which isnt really 4G anyway, its Sprint's current iteration of HSDPA) coverage area I'd turn WiMax off (if that's possible) and I usually leave WiFi off on my devices unless I'm at home or the office for a while, where I know the signal is stable.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
/AGREE!

You can turn it off. There's a widget to turn 4G on and off if you'd like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781