First Impression of Facebook Home?

dlinares90

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Facebook Home on my S3 and I honestly hate it. It seems like it's only made for a heavy-usage Facebook user. The wallpaper of your phone is your News Feed that you can't get rid of. The camera app is built by Facebook, which has limited capabilities. All other apps are somewhat hidden on your phone since you can't add widgets to the home screens. You can access your phone's regular settings very easily either. I can't see a typical Facebook user enjoying this kind of "in-your-face" experience. What are everyone else's thoughts?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I find it WAY too much Facebook so couldn't use it as my primary Launcher much less as my "Lockscreen" (though appreciate the option to not have it as my Lockscreen).

Gets rid of everything I liked about Android - customization & Widgets.

Chat Heads are enough for me so VERY glad they don't require Home.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
When I looked for facebook home on the play market all I found was a facebook update?

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

SDHarleydad

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Type facebook home in search...when the results pop up hit the more selections and it will be there. I un installed after playing withit for about 5 minutes

Size does matter! -☆SGN2☆

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Just downloaded it from Play Store and used it 5 minutes and HATE it.

Makes everything else on my phones very hard to get to in a timely matter.
Great for someone that uses a phone only for facebook, not for me!

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Had it for a few hours now. I'm not a heavy Facebook user. It does make other tasks really cumbersome especially if you have a screen lock enabled. It's nice and smooth but lacking customization as far as feeds you see and such. Will be uninstalling soon, but if you love Facebook I recommend you give it a shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an officially supported device, but installed a hacked version this morning, and it works well. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. There are things I like and things I don't, but I can say that about most launchers. I'm going to keep it a bit longer, but I think I will end up back on Nova Launcher in the near future.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Running stock, it's not bad. I'm using Home, but only as a lock screen. When I unlock (either by pressing the home button my S3 or swiping my icon to the right which goes to nova launcher). The combination of FB Home as lock screen and Nova as launcher seems to work well. As a lock screen its a quick way to swipe through some recent friend updates and when I'm ready to do normal stuff, I just press home to get to Nova with all my regular widgets. FB Home is basically just replacing Samsung's lock screen (which is disabled in settings).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can definitely see the appeal for heavy Facebook users (surely there are a lot of those types of people, right?), but I don't think it's good for me personally. I don't live on Facebook. I think it's really well done, though. Nice and smooth, seems to load fast enough, and hasn't lagged for me at all.

I would recommend it to people that are constantly on Facebook, but like others have said, it seems to make other tasks take longer than they normally would. I'm going to give it some more time to get a better feel for it. I just don't think a few hours or even a day really does it justice.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Using Facebook Home lagged the stuff out of my HTC EVO LTE. It also felt IMPOSSIBLE to get to apps and really inconvenient to text anyone who wasn't the last person to text or message me, making the phone feel much more like a paperweight than I cared for. I used it for an hour and dropped it because it wasn't my favorite.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure even heavy FB users want it on their phone. Unless I missed something, which is always a distinct possibility, it seems a lot easier to do a variety of things in the app. If you just like to scroll your news feed and "like" and comment on posts that float by, this is the phone/launcher/whatever for you. I find it preferable to have multiple news feed posts on a screen, rather than one at a time. Can't get into groups here either, at least not that I see.

And apparently one has to choose between Facebook Home and widgets. Let's see, widgets or FB Home, gee, that's such a tough choice . . . .

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I found it to be intriguing that as of this typing, there were almost as many 1 star ratings (2,635) as there were 2, 3, 4, and 5 star (2,786 combined total). And almost all the 1 star comments I read were either complaints of horrible battery life, or the rape of the Android Experience.

sergeantandroid

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I just can't see myself using something like this. Staying connected is nice but to sacrifice functionality for social visibility... Doesn't seem very attractive.