Facebook app and Oreo issues.

Janny Free

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been having issues with GIFs. I was able to use them no problem everywhere on Facebook. Then suddenly I was not able to search them. I installed a couple different keyboards and I could search and post just fine.

Suddenly it stopped letting me post any gifs. I got a message pop up saying I can't post that content but I could share it (Attached). None of my keyboards would work. Keep getting the same message.

Also, when I try to share a picture directly from my camera roll, I no longer have the option to share it to a group, it will only let me share it to my own profile.

This is driving me crazy as I admin a bunch of fb groups and this is just a headache not having these functions. Anyone know what the deal is?? I have a samsung S7

Screenshot_20180815-111749_Android System.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You should report this to FB. It's not an Oreo thing (I'm on Oreo on an S9 and while I did have the GIF-playing problem, I can still post and now I can see the GIFs...BUT this is a bug that comes and goes with every update the app gets). FB, for whatever is worth, may break stuff on each update (sometimes on purpose, they've admitted) but they're also quick to fix IF reported.

Janny Free

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I've not had much luck reporting things in the past, but I will do so again and hope they respond. Hoping to come up with a fix though in case they don't respond.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You're not gonna like the 'fix', though: don't use the FB app. Use the mobile version on a browser (not sure if it supports GIFs though) or force Desktop Mode on a browser (that does support GIFs). You wouldn't miss out on notifications if you use Chrome as it allows push notifications from FB through the browser (even if you close it).

Janny Free

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks... I'm a creature of habit... I like things to work as they should and I prefer the app over browser, but I guess I'm going to have to do it until it gets fixed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I get you... as much a bad rep as the app gets (and it IS a buggy battery hog) I do, too, prefer to use the app expecting it should work. However, sometimes this isn't the case and one must make due with the options available or stop using the service altogether. And nope, iUsers also experience bugs in the native FB app. We just have the 'curse' of having a ton of hardware variants and OS software tweaks devs need to fight against.