Do I need to use a screen protector with Gorilla Glass? (answer inside)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
A common question, that gets asked in the forums, is whether a screen protector is necessary on a phone manufactured with Gorilla Glass.

Gorilla Glass is advertised as being scratch resistant. It should survive contact with keys, coins, and even razor blades without being scratched. However, even Gorilla Glass, can still be scratched by common abrasive materials such as sand, tungsten carbide or diamonds. It would not be uncommon for abrasive particles to come into contact with your phone screen by way of cleaning cloth, pant pocket, or even a case lining. Many forms of jewelery are made of tungsten carbide and/or diamonds. When these materials come into contact with Gorilla Glass, scratches can still occur. If you want to ensure additional resistance against scratches you will need to use a screen protector.

If it's your preference to not use a screen protector (put me in that category), you will want to take extra care in order to avoid scratches:

* Always use a clean microfiber cloth when cleaning glass. My personal favorite is Klear Screen. Both their cloths and cleaning solutions have proven to work well for me over the years. Wipe the screen gently. It's a phone screen not a bathtub.
* Abrasive particles often find their way into pant and coat pockets. Protect your phone with a microfiber sunglass bag, prior to sliding it into your pocket. This will provide extra protection against abrasive materials.
* If you use a pouch type case, consider that abrasive particles often find their way inside the lining of these cases. Sliding the phone in and out of these cases can also introduce fine scratches.
* Avoid direct contact with certain types of jewelery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tr4ck3rx

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I did use the anti glare screen protector at first but I did not like it when the matte like sscreen protector took away the glossy look and I took it off. Now I have to keep wiping the phone every now and then as the screen turns out to be a super fingerprint magnet. I am thinking of getting something like the sunglass sleeve. I would love to know what a anyone else who used or have been using the anti glare screen protector that verizon is selling.

kristoferallen

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I did use the anti glare screen protector at first but I did not like it when the matte like sscreen protector took away the glossy look and I took it off. Now I have to keep wiping the phone every now and then as the screen turns out to be a super fingerprint magnet. I am thinking of getting something like the sunglass sleeve. I would love to know what a anyone else who used or have been using the anti glare screen protector that verizon is selling.

Zagg's screen protectors don't reduce any glare and you don't have to keep wiping it as much. If anything they make the screen look even more glossy and sexy lol. Getting replacements with their lifetime warranty is really easy too on their website. They send you a new one and you just send the old one back to them within 60 days. I was really impressed. 15 dollars isn't bad at all for such luxury.

NEW_TEAM

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed what seems to be a scratch on the glass, however it's only visible while looking across the glass while off, at an angle and under a direct light source. Reflecting light off the screen does not show any defects and the scratch cannot be felt with a nail. Leading me to believe this hair like marking is underneath the glass. Is this possible? Or is it more likely so that the scratch is so fine, it's almost undetectable?

Anyone else having issues with foreign materials under the glass? or am I calling a horse a zebra without stripes?

Maybe just silly to mull over, but hot damn.

Take a look: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5479308/IMG_9076.JPG

nerddrew

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
@Team - maybe try shooting some compressed air in around that edge and see if it moves, but it sorta looks like a small fracture in the glass.
Phone insurance? :/

harpdoc

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I also bought the antiglare screen protectors from Verizon. I hated them. They make the screen look pixelated. Don't know of a good antiglare protector. I went with the currently free (you pay $2.50 shipping) offer from Stealth Shield. Comes with screen protector and protector for the back of the phone also. I must say I'm pleasantly surprised and pleased. Not antiglare, but protects and looks good. Of course the sides and corners are still not protected.

Potter#AC

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody had to replace the screen yet? If so then a quick write up on where to get the parts and how to do it would be nice (Maybe there is already a thread on this and I just didn't see it).

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I am now extremely paranoid because I have no screen protector on mine. I had those crappy Verizon wireless ones and I just tried to put the third one in the pack on. Dirty and bubbly. I'm contemplating going to Best Buy and just buying their BodyGuardz one because I don't want to go too long without any type of protector on it. I don't want to put it in my purse pouch or ANYTHING in fear of getting a speck of dirt on it. I don't really want to carry it in the open air all day either. I wish I didn't have to go to class all day. I need something on this screen/surface NOW.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I planned on not using a screen protector because I figured it would be ok. I didn't plan on putting it in a pocket with coins or keys and I was babying it so much I figured nothing would happen to it. Well...

Just when I thought I had made a good decision I happened to walk in the living room where I had left my phone sitting on the computer desk. This would have been fine had my 18 month old daughter (a truly beautiful little girl) not gotten a hold of it. I found my phone in her hand being rubbed back and forth across the the keyboard section of the desk. Again, this may have not been a big deal but our computer desk has one of those slide out keyboard areas that flips up when closed so that it looks nice when not in use. The closing happens because there a hinges... these hinges are made of metal. Guess where my daughter was sliding the phone... that's right, right along the center hinge.

Now, to be fair I was amazed at the lack of damage that was caused to the screen. There was one, hard to find, short 1/4 inch scratch. I was amazed, releieved and terrified as to what could have happened had my daughter put a little more elbow grease into her playtime with daddy's phone. Needless to say I did a little research and bought a Realook screen cover immediately from Amazon with 2 day shipping. It took a few hours and some gentle hands to get applied perfectly but so far I am pleased with the results.

This goes out as a warning to all those who have children who have a way of finding your gadgets and turning them into race cars. Cheers!

Last edited:

DAFFYDC

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Ghost Armor on my Fascinate. My wife has the Droid Pro. I had to return her phone for another one so out of curiosity (since the Droid Pro also has Gorilla Glass) I did a little em.. experiment of my own on the Droid Pro (with out any screen protector) to see how tough it was. I used scissors, keys, knives, a screwdriver and I even used the most deadliest thing of all, PAPER TOWELS (hey paper towels do scratch). Anyway.. I tried and tried and at NOTHING. Not one scratch at all. I even rubbed so hard that the metal from the keys were flaking off. I confirmed that it's pretty tough. Will I be removing the Ghost Armor from my Fascinate..um.. no but if you currently don't have a screen protector on your Fascinate, I wouldn't worry too much.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I work in phone sales, and I take out my car keys and run them over the demo phones regularly. However I've had dozens of customers come back with big gouges in their screen, and I've linked it all to 2 things almost exclusively. Diamond earings, and wedding rings. OP hit the nail totally on the head. Buy a screen protector if you want your screen to stay nice. It's tough but not invincible.

I recommend people to buy the screen protectors that get the whole screen, not just the usable area like they sell at the local corporate location. If you scratch the glass it doesn't matter if it's in the usable area or not, it's compromised the integrity of the glass, making it much more fragile. Just like tempered glass or pyrex I would imagine.

Just to throw in my .02 on the whole thing i've got the skinomi screen protector and i'm thrilled with it. It's a hair thicker than most, but has a medium density rubber feel to it so my finger slides nice over it, but it's nice and grippy when i'm holding onto it. It shows "Orange peel" (internal ripples) from being applied but I like the look when it's off, and when it's on they're totally 100% invisible. I'm confident this thing would repel an exacto knife due to it being thicker and rubbery it wouldn't just part the way harder plastics would. Also hasn't shown any scratches at this point. The surface seems like it might be self healing almost.

Anyway, speculation over, I love it.

jampot

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to throw in my .02 on the whole thing i've got the skinomi screen protector and i'm thrilled with it. It's a hair thicker than most, but has a medium density rubber feel to it so my finger slides nice over it, but it's nice and grippy when i'm holding onto it. It shows "Orange peel" (internal ripples) from being applied but I like the look when it's off, and when it's on they're totally 100% invisible. I'm confident this thing would repel an exacto knife due to it being thicker and rubbery it wouldn't just part the way harder plastics would. Also hasn't shown any scratches at this point. The surface seems like it might be self healing almost.

Anyway, speculation over, I love it.
Hey Sheepdog... So I watched the demo video for the skinomi screen protector and skin. I was thinking about perhaps doing the whole skin thing... I like the idea of not having to use the case (read: girls don't like things that make them look bulky ;)) It really looks like a pain in the bum to put on the phone. Did you find it difficult or relatively easy??