Do you use a screen protector?

Do you use a screen protector?

• Total voters

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just curious who uses a screen protector, does it have any added benifits? I heard from somebody that the phone is fairly good without one. I have one scratch that bothers me a ton. Is it worth the investment?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Just curious who uses a screen protector, does it have any added benifits? I heard from somebody that the phone is fairly good without one. I have one scratch that bothers me a ton. Is it worth the investment?

Yes, I use a screen protector and wouldn't go without one. It is said that the screen is suppose to be scratch resistant, but there are still plenty of things that can scratch the screen and it's not worth the chance to me. I think it's well worth the investment to use one as it will prolong the life of your screen and a screen protector is much easier replaced than the actual screen itself! I look at it this way, you pay money for your device, sometimes a lot of money! I'd rather spend a small amount more to take care of that device and not have to look at a scratch everytime I look at my phone.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
No screen protector here, have tried different ones. But never found one that I really like. I just try to be extra careful where I have my phone at all times.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I hesitate is because a lot of the reviews I have read state that the screen gets a bit 'cloudy' or fuzzy. I don't know from first hand experience or anything, but that's just what I have read. Any good protectors that can be recommended?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I hesitate is because a lot of the reviews I have read state that the screen gets a bit 'cloudy' or fuzzy. I don't know from first hand experience or anything, but that's just what I have read. Any good protectors that can be recommended?

I'm trying to find a great thread that gets in depth about the screen and screen protectors for this phone, but am having trouble finding it now :( There are quite a bit of protectors available and personally I don't see any kind of cloudiness or fuzz when using my screen protector and I went cheep and used one of the lame verizon ones lol. It's worked great for the past 6 months so far tho!

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The "cloudy" protectors are probably the anti-glare ones or the very cheap ones. I have only tried one brand-- Realook -- because it was recommended to me. I now recommend it with the caveat that it is the only I have tried. It doesn't detract from the screen at all; you have to look very close to decide if there's a protector there at all except outside there might be extra glare (I don't use my phone outside much if at all).

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend has a Verizon branded protector on her Eris, and the best way I can explain it is.. if you have left your phone in the bathroom while taking a steamy shower(accident).. turn the screen on, and it looks odd. That's what her phone seems to look like to me. I'll look into that brand adjangs, I'll also see if I can't get the verizon store to show me one they have on a device. That would help a lot, show the protectors on the device, it would make me a bit more comfortable when buying at least.

-Edit-

Will check the link out, thanks!

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Link doesn't work for me.. says it's broken.

-Edit-
Oddly, wouldn't work when opening in new tab. Worked when I simply clicked it.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I found that out after trying it once I posted it... I edited the post on how to find that thread tho. Check it out if you'd like :)

Edit: Now it seems the link is working? My heads spinning lol!

Yeah, I thought it was because I opened it in a new tab.. wasn't working with refreshes or anything, I clicked again and it decided to work.
Thanks for the link, seems like a protector is the best way to go about prolonging my phone. Espescially if I want to resell it or use it as a nice mp3 player/games for the kids in the future.
I've seen some phones (eris, incredible, etc.) going for <100 on craigslist, in my opinion, paying less than an iPod Touch for one of those is a great deal even if only using for music.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I thought it was because I opened it in a new tab.. wasn't working with refreshes or anything, I clicked again and it decided to work.
Thanks for the link, seems like a protector is the best way to go about prolonging my phone. Espescially if I want to resell it or use it as a nice mp3 player/games for the kids in the future.
I've seen some phones (eris, incredible, etc.) going for <100 on craigslist, in my opinion, paying less than an iPod Touch for one of those is a great deal even if only using for music.

Yeah I totally agree, I also recommend a case for your phone, I use a simple black silicon case around mine which has saved my phone numerous times! It'd be all dinged up by now if it werent for the case and screen protector!

btqy

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the Ultimate Shield -I think it's what they call it made for Iphones and Androids only. Around $40,00 to wrap the whole phone or $22 for just the front and the guy installs it for you. Life time warranty. You have to call around -hard to fine. Only one place in Vegas does it here. They are precut. Best investment. Phone is clear abd wipes clean.

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard case from spinware, it's not the nicest looking case but I was told by a VZW rep not to get a rubberized/silicon case. The case I have works well, it's hell to get off, and it's peeling, making it even uglier. As soon as I can get off work, I'm going to get a protector. Should help a lot for me. I do classroom services (install smart classrooms) and tech support for the local university and my phone always gets tossed in my pockets with the keys to all the rooms, batteries, screwdrivers, etc. It would probably be a smart investment on my part.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard case from spinware, it's not the nicest looking case but I was told by a VZW rep not to get a rubberized/silicon case. The case I have works well, it's hell to get off, and it's peeling, making it even uglier. As soon as I can get off work, I'm going to get a protector. Should help a lot for me. I do classroom services (install smart classrooms) and tech support for the local university and my phone always gets tossed in my pockets with the keys to all the rooms, batteries, screwdrivers, etc. It would probably be a smart investment on my part.

Yeah I agree. Do you recall why a VZW rep told you not to get a silicone case? They're always saying one thing or the other...

cfox10

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree. Do you recall why a VZW rep told you not to get a silicone case? They're always saying one thing or the other...

The way it was explained was: "The phone 'rolls' (feels like it's rolling?) out my pocket and falls out. Otherwise, they also claimed that the case doesn't do much as far as protection from drops, or something hitting it.. where as the hard case would break before the phone?

Now that I re-read what was said, it sounds like a pretty lame statement to me.

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The way it was explained was: "The phone 'rolls' (feels like it's rolling?) out my pocket and falls out. Otherwise, they also claimed that the case doesn't do much as far as protection from drops, or something hitting it.. where as the hard case would break before the phone?

Now that I re-read what was said, it sounds like a pretty lame statement to me.

Well as many people agree on, a lot of VZW reps just "seem" to know what they are talking about. I use a silicone case and my phone has fallen several times, and the case has protected the phone from any sort of damage thus far. Especially scratches, as the actual casing of the phone is pretty prone to scratches and scuffs in my opinion. I think the best part about having a case on the phone is that when it falls you have a much less chance of worrying about the back coming off and the battery falling out. That tends to cause the most damage to phones.

jkeene81

Feb 1, 2010
plus.google.com
i just spent $20 on a Zagg Invisible Shield for my Fascinate, there is some good and bad. Good is it comes with spray for application that allows you to remove the shield after application if you dont like the placement and its really scratch resistant but i can def see the screen protector and am thinking about switching to something else becuz it def detracts from the phones awesome screen!!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
i just spent $20 on a Zagg Invisible Shield for my Fascinate, there is some good and bad. Good is it comes with spray for application that allows you to remove the shield after application if you dont like the placement and its really scratch resistant but i can def see the screen protector and am thinking about switching to something else becuz it def detracts from the phones awesome screen!!

Glad to hear your thoughts on the Zagg...I bought two of them (one as a backup for whatever reason) and have yet to put one on. My Fascinate has been naked since I bought it several months ago. I don't want to detract from the beautiful screen/display, and I hesitate to do anything to add size or weight, I just love how thin and lightweight these devices are. But I've had two drops in the parking lot recently and we have a two year old boy who insists on playing with the phone as soon as he catches sight of it...so, I'm thinking I need something. But I still can't find anything to my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781