Noob - 2.3 Update w/no Data Plan - Update Stops Ability to Root?

daleshar

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Two questions here.

First, will be able to update with no data plan? If so, is it straight forward? Right now I only have wifi and 2.3 is coming out OTA starting today so I'm not sure if I'll be notified in the future or not. Also, why don't they just have a download site to update?

Second, this phone is not rooted. If I upgrade, will I be able to root after?

Sorry, I'm OK with computers (limited experience with Linux) but I've been living in the dark ages with smartphones. Thanks for any info

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Noob - 2.3 Update w/no Data Plan - Update Stops Ability to Ro

You should have no problem updating. From what I remember, you just need to have a data connection, whether that be WiFi or 3G.

As far as rooting, there is no root exploit available for the 2.3.4 OTA right now, but there's no doubt that it will come eventually. If you want root, you should root now as 2.2 and then flash a 2.3 OTA pre-rooted ROM.

kpetrie77

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Noob - 2.3 Update w/no Data Plan - Update Stops Ability to Ro

Two questions here.

First, will be able to update with no data plan? If so, is it straight forward? Right now I only have wifi and 2.3 is coming out OTA starting today so I'm not sure if I'll be notified in the future or not. Also, why don't they just have a download site to update?

Second, this phone is not rooted. If I upgrade, will I be able to root after?

Sorry, I'm OK with computers (limited experience with Linux) but I've been living in the dark ages with smartphones. Thanks for any info
We came across a loophole on the G2 coming from 2.2 (rooted, S-OFF and SuperCID) that allows you to update to 2.3.4, regain root and still KEEP your data. For some this may be advantatgous to flashing a custom or stock pre-rooted build.

Root and not starting over on Angry Birds... priceless.

Root Obtained **EASY!**: T-Mobile G2 2.3.4 official OTA manual update - xda-developers

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey