bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So, my girlfriend is getting a G2. I tried to persuade her to get an Evo like a good fanboy, but she's fairly committed to T-mobile. So, I have two questions:
1) Why does the G2 run at less than 1ghz out of the box? It sounds like it has beastly performance without touting a full gigzhertz processor. Is it the case that the phone is plenty beastly despite the slower processor?
2) I also read that the Nand protection is slightly more robust. What's the best way to root a G2? I didn't see a thread on this.

So, which is going to be the phone of choice for geeks? The G2 with it's slightly more stock feel and touted replacement as the next 'google phone' or something like an Evo? I've really enjoyed how robust the development community is for the Evo. At the same time, I think I read somewhere that cyanogen now uses a G2...

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The G2 has a next generation snapdragon processor, meaning that at 800mhz it out performs the evo at 1.2ghz. After rooting, the G2 can be overclocked to 1.9ghz, probably a little less depending on the phone.

The nand protection is different, and has been cracked. Here ya go G2 Android Development - xda-developers

Although its a stock android feel, HTC code and other stuff IS in there, so you will not be getting updates from google

Long story short, G2 is better than the EVO in almost every single way.

Reactions: mr.pnutt

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will add that I followed the instructions in THIS thread and had no problems. You have to be very careful to follow all of them. Read through them more then once before you start, and ask any questions you have here. I will try to monitor but with the holidays coming up I might not reply immediately.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Visionary will give you a temp root (which will go away everytime you reboot), and it can attempt to give you a permanent root. That will allow you to flash the majority of what you would want to flash, and run root apps. What it won't do is give you S-OFF, which is what you need if you want to flash something like Cyanogen Mod. The instructions on the post I linked to are easy, but you must pay attention and follow them exactly.

It only took me 5 minutes and it worked on the first try.

Reactions: mr.pnutt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke