wifi tethering stays on after unroot

hchan1

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I used Visionary to temp root my G2 (android 2.2) so I can use wifi tethering. After I rebooted my phone, the superuser icon is gone, but I can still able to use wifi tethering even the phone is not rooted. Am I doing something wrong. Thanks

Last edited:

mar#CB

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I could be very wrong, but I think that the last update I received on my G2 before perm root was wireless tethering. Is that what you're referring to or is there actually an app that allows you to tether wifi to another phone or whatever?

hchan1

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, before I temp rooted the phone, when I went to settings->wireless & networks->tethering & portable hotspot, the "Portable wi-fi hotspot" option is greyed out. After temp rooting it using Visionary r14, I could enable hotspot. And after I reboot the phone(unroot), I expected the option would be greyed out again but it didn't. I was able to enable wifi hotspot without rooting it again. I was just wondering if anyone is having the same thing. Thanks

mar#CB

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Np, I do believe that the option is there, when stock though. That was a big deal to me when they came released the wifi calling and tethering. Just be careful with how much you use it, you're technically supposed to pay for the tether service.

Syrusoo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The latest OTA update allows Wifi tethering and USB tethering it is perfectly fine as T-mobile is the one who made it available. If your G2 doesn't have this option go to (settings -> about phone) and check for system updates. This is one of the few reasons I haven't yet bothered rooting my phone since it already has this option stock.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463