I just downloaded Dungeon Hunter 4 on an Iphone 5, and HTC One to compare the Iphone 5 and HTC One in gaming. I knew the HTC one was the much better performing phone but I had always seen reviews discussing how the Iphone 5 can hold it's own in gaming in Cross-Platform games (particularly Iphone 5 vs Qualcomm 600 series processors) and how "Apple's hardware and software "marriage" helped meet the performance in games as good as an Android while having less powerful hardware it self."

I am a gamer, and computer technician so when I hear these statements "like do more with less hardware" I can only call it how it is: Bull. It's simple mathematics: Take architecture A: and then put in the following specs X Shaders, X cores at X clock speeds and you get a result of work done. No amount of software optimization can have it do more work than specced. This was evident when games began to be ported to OSX, and failed to meet such promises.

However you can optimize a game to work better while not impacting quality tremendously, how? Simply reduce the amount of work that does not take advantage of the architecture (or is hindered by the architecture and leave the rest of the coding alone or find ways to work around the coding. Generally speaking the heaviest parts of a game are shadows, lighting, and physics and this is usually some of the first things to get cut.
    This is what ALL software optimization is. Tweak here and there, to make it run faster by degrading, finding alternatives, or shifting workload.

Hypothesis:
    * Iphone 5 would have to have degraded Image quality, or degraded aspects to run the games smoothly even with it's lower resolution screen (particularly with shadows, lighting, and physics to reduce workload on parallel programming which is a weak point for most mobile phones). Shadows, lighting, and physics take A LOT of processing power, more than what most CPU's can handle.
    * Resolutions directly impact game performance requiring exponentially more and more video memory, as well as more processing power from the GPU mainly, albeit CPU will also be needed in mobile phones simply because GPU's are NOT powerful enough. This could or could not be a factor since it would rely on games to have the renders at the 1920x1080 or higher range. Otherwise you are simply upscaling, and performance should not take a hit while visuals should.

Observations5:
    * Both phones loaded quickly, the Iphone 5 seemed to load faster but not by much. (more on this)
    * Iphone 5 shows more content than the HTC One. Since it shows more, the renders are made smaller (more on this).
    * Image quality is definitely down some on the Iphone 5, on all aspects (landscape, model renders, animations, and cut scenes).
    * I cannot confirm but I believe physics are taken down a notch on the Iphone 5 versus the HTC One. On the HTC One, objects like crates seemed more realistic with "more" animations versus the Iphone 5. Very minute differences to be honest, may just be the difference in screen sizes and the fact the Iphone 5 displays more on screen thus everything is smaller.
    * Iphone 5 played just fine and dandy, no hiccups. The HTC one had slight lag only twice where there were a lot of enemies on screen, as well as monsters "summoning". Most of the other times in the same situations (played same levels many times) there was no lag even with all the enemies on the screen as well as summonings, so this may have had to do with background applications running.

Upon revising the settings the Iphone 5 does NOT a allow you to modify the quality of the game (software optimization making sure games are degraded in quality so it would work well), while on the HTC One (Android) you are able to modify the image quality, my settings were set to the highest quality for these observations.

More on this:
    * Iphone 5 likely loaded a little bit faster due to the lower quality setting compared to the HTC one.
    * Iphone 5 showing more content: this is likely a way to hide the fact the Iphone 5 has degraded image quality.

Overall gaming on the HTC one was a better experience. Model renders, landscapes, and animations are sharper, and better looking. I also appreciate how the Android version does not show more content I prefer to play a game where I am surprised by enemies, not see them coming for a mile away (also the closer up camera helps you enjoy the better details on the Android when playing on the highest settings).
    Let us not forget the HTC One has 2.8x the pixels, having just a hair bit above 2 million pixels in comparison to the Iphone 5's not even a million pixels (727,040 pixels if you must known). This could be a factor to take into consideration as the Dungeon Hunter 4 is claimed to be an HD game meaning it should at the very least have 1280x720 renders (requiring downscaling on the Iphone 5, while on the HTC One it would take full advantage). I would safely assume the renders provided by the game are likely above the minimum 1280x720 for HD, but more than likely below the 1920x1080. Most game developers like to increase renders just a hair bit to ensure better image quality when downscaling.

Lastly, and not very importantly: I found I prefer the Battlesworn over the Blademaster class.
    I will be running other games as I play them on both phones and making observations here.
    neonworm likes this.
    06-26-2013 05:46 PM
    I thought you least deserve a comment for the good observations. I seriously wonder how the iPhone 6 will step its hardware up yo match with android.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    06-27-2013 03:33 AM
    I just downloaded Dungeon Hunter 4 on an Iphone 5, and HTC One to compare the Iphone 5 and HTC One in gaming. I knew the HTC one was the much better performing phone but I had always seen reviews discussing how the Iphone 5 can hold it's own in gaming in Cross-Platform games (particularly Iphone 5 vs Qualcomm 600 series processors) and how "Apple's hardware and software "marriage" helped meet the performance in games as good as an Android while having less powerful hardware it self."

I am a gamer, and computer technician so when I hear these statements "like do more with less hardware" I can only call it how it is: Bull. It's simple mathematics: Take architecture A: and then put in the following specs X Shaders, X cores at X clock speeds and you get a result of work done. No amount of software optimization can have it do more work than specced. This was evident when games began to be ported to OSX, and failed to meet such promises.

However you can optimize a game to work better while not impacting quality tremendously, how? Simply reduce the amount of work that does not take advantage of the architecture (or is hindered by the architecture and leave the rest of the coding alone or find ways to work around the coding. Generally speaking the heaviest parts of a game are shadows, lighting, and physics and this is usually some of the first things to get cut.
    This is what ALL software optimization is. Tweak here and there, to make it run faster by degrading, finding alternatives, or shifting workload.

Hypothesis:
    * Iphone 5 would have to have degraded Image quality, or degraded aspects to run the games smoothly even with it's lower resolution screen (particularly with shadows, lighting, and physics to reduce workload on parallel programming which is a weak point for most mobile phones). Shadows, lighting, and physics take A LOT of processing power, more than what most CPU's can handle.
    * Resolutions directly impact game performance requiring exponentially more and more video memory, as well as more processing power from the GPU mainly, albeit CPU will also be needed in mobile phones simply because GPU's are NOT powerful enough. This could or could not be a factor since it would rely on games to have the renders at the 1920x1080 or higher range. Otherwise you are simply upscaling, and performance should not take a hit while visuals should.

Observations5:
    * Both phones loaded quickly, the Iphone 5 seemed to load faster but not by much. (more on this)
    * Iphone 5 shows more content than the HTC One. Since it shows more, the renders are made smaller (more on this).
    * Image quality is definitely down some on the Iphone 5, on all aspects (landscape, model renders, animations, and cut scenes).
    * I cannot confirm but I believe physics are taken down a notch on the Iphone 5 versus the HTC One. On the HTC One, objects like crates seemed more realistic with "more" animations versus the Iphone 5. Very minute differences to be honest, may just be the difference in screen sizes and the fact the Iphone 5 displays more on screen thus everything is smaller.
    * Iphone 5 played just fine and dandy, no hiccups. The HTC one had slight lag only twice where there were a lot of enemies on screen, as well as monsters "summoning". Most of the other times in the same situations (played same levels many times) there was no lag even with all the enemies on the screen as well as summonings, so this may have had to do with background applications running.

Upon revising the settings the Iphone 5 does NOT a allow you to modify the quality of the game (software optimization making sure games are degraded in quality so it would work well), while on the HTC One (Android) you are able to modify the image quality, my settings were set to the highest quality for these observations.

More on this:
    * Iphone 5 likely loaded a little bit faster due to the lower quality setting compared to the HTC one.
    * Iphone 5 showing more content: this is likely a way to hide the fact the Iphone 5 has degraded image quality.

Overall gaming on the HTC one was a better experience. Model renders, landscapes, and animations are sharper, and better looking. I also appreciate how the Android version does not show more content I prefer to play a game where I am surprised by enemies, not see them coming for a mile away (also the closer up camera helps you enjoy the better details on the Android when playing on the highest settings).
    Let us not forget the HTC One has 2.8x the pixels, having just a hair bit above 2 million pixels in comparison to the Iphone 5's not even a million pixels (727,040 pixels if you must known). This could be a factor to take into consideration as the Dungeon Hunter 4 is claimed to be an HD game meaning it should at the very least have 1280x720 renders (requiring downscaling on the Iphone 5, while on the HTC One it would take full advantage). I would safely assume the renders provided by the game are likely above the minimum 1280x720 for HD, but more than likely below the 1920x1080. Most game developers like to increase renders just a hair bit to ensure better image quality when downscaling.

Lastly, and not very importantly: I found I prefer the Battlesworn over the Blademaster class.
    I will be running other games as I play them on both phones and making observations here.
    Apple requires that developers use assets to match the resolution of each phone. There is no downscaling or upscaling. If the game is not designed for the iPhone 5 screen, it simple fills up to the old iPhone 4s resolution and has black bars on the top and bottom to match that resolution.

There is a way to force iPhone apps to run on an iPad. The problem is when you do this, everything looks blurry and because Apple doesn't do any true resolution scaling. All it ends up doing is stretching out the picture.

AnandTech | The HTC One Review

There is a set of GPU benchmarks, the ones you might want to consider are towards the bottom

The thing is the picture is going to look sharper and better because you are looking at a higher resolution picture. Image quality isn't degraded, it just isn't comparable.
    Chances are that a developer is going to make the highest resolution assets and then downscale everything to fit. That may cause most of what you are seeing.
    07-03-2013 09:30 AM
    Apple requires that developers use assets to match the resolution of each phone. There is no downscaling or upscaling. If the game is not designed for the iPhone 5 screen, it simple fills up to the old iPhone 4s resolution and has black bars on the top and bottom to match that resolution.

There is a way to force iPhone apps to run on an iPad. The problem is when you do this, everything looks blurry and because Apple doesn't do any true resolution scaling. All it ends up doing is stretching out the picture.

AnandTech | The HTC One Review

There is a set of GPU benchmarks, the ones you might want to consider are towards the bottom

The thing is the picture is going to look sharper and better because you are looking at a higher resolution picture. Image quality isn't degraded, it just isn't comparable.
    Chances are that a developer is going to make the highest resolution assets and then downscale everything to fit. That may cause most of what you are seeing.

The games I've played were compatible with the Iphoen 5 retina screen.
    Not sure how the games are running but something tells me the content used is likely the same (720p~ resolution renders, maybe 900p), and it is downscaled or upscaled.
    The image quality differences were observed under a x15 loupe. I can assure you the renders were very much different and higher quality on the HTC One. The Shadows, lighting and physics were also better.

Benchmarks are useless and quite frankly misleading without a universal benchmark configuration (same res, same renders, same physics, same everything).
    07-20-2013 10:16 PM