Location services required for connecting with bluetooth

A

AC Question

I am using Garmin Connect and vivofit tracker. It worked fine with my xperia Z2, but since i have Android marshmallow, it is not synchronizing anymore. As soon as i put bluetooth on, it says: "location services required: in order to connect and sync Garmin devices, Connect needs location servisesto be enabled". If i put location on, it still dont work. From the app settings, Garmin Connect has all the premissions on. Garmin told, it is not something, they can fix, that Google has changed the permissions required for Bluetooth syncing. How can i fix it in my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sounds like a lame excuse from Garmin. If Google has changed the permissions, then it's up to Garmin to update their app to be compatible with Marshmallow.

WizardSleeve

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Whilst it seems like a lame excuse from Garmin (and I agree it is) - it seems like all fitness trackers on android are having to deal with this now.

This is frustrating as my phone battery drains quite fast...

In case anyone is interested, I have a couple of suggestions that do increase battery life whilst keeping location services on.

1. Edit the location services to low accuracy (only using mobile and wifi) - this reduces the drain as is not constantly searching for GPS
2. Battery saving mode - however you will need to manually sync, and make sure your screen doesn't go off during sync or sync will stop.

Both of these should increase your devices life whilst using a Garmin device (or other fitness tracker).

It seems to me that BLE and having to keep location services running is a bit of an oxymoron as it invalidates its purpose and expedites battery drain.

poor design, but I guess we have to live with it for now.