How can I check real size of internal SD card/memory?

rcferryman

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been given a new tablet similar to a Q8H Allwinner A23 Android Tablet. This has Android 4.4.2 and seems to work well but internal SD card looks like 1.2GB whereas it was marketed as an 8GB machine. It was given to me as faulty because of this. Android only reports on mounted partitions and perhaps there is an unmounted partition or unallocated space. With linux I could find details on the hardware and partition table. No suitable tools seem to be available in android. How can I find what is actually fitted.
Richard Ferryman

rcferryman

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't get it to do a screenshot by any of the recommended methods. I have a list of files on the machine obtained by 'ls -alR > /mnt/extsd' to put the list on my external sd card so I could brows over it easily. There is no directory 'screenshots' anywhere.
The settings->storage screen shows 'INTERNAL STORAGE' total space 0.98GB with sections below of Available, Apps and Cached data. below this is a second 'INTERNAL STORAGE' section with total space 1.21GB and sections listed Available, Apps, Pictures, videos, Downloads and cached data. The SD card sections below refer to the 16GB external SD card.
Richard.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you know how to take the screenshot? It's usually Power and Volume Down held together for about half a second. The screenshot then appears in the /Pictures/Screenshots folder, but it should also show up in the Gallery app.

So it sounds like your memory is partitioned into a small 1 GB app storage partition, and a slightly larger 1.2 GB "Internal SD" partition. That's a total of 2.2 GB of usable space. It's possible that 5.8 GB is taken up by the OS and bloatware, and the system is just hiding that from you. The OS typically takes up anywhere from 2 to 4 GB, and then additional bloatware can take up more.

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I bought my wife an allwinner A33 based 10 in unmarked tablet last week that was listed as having 16g of memory. When looking at the storage in settings it states as having 0.98 gig of internal memory plus 11 gig of internal card storage available. This would appear to mean that 4 to 5 gig is being used by the device. There is no external card fitted yet so this shows as zero. If your device is originally an 8 gig model in theory it should still have 3 to 4 gig left to be used unless there is something stored eating this up. The 'fault'is probably memory loss on the internal card and I am not sure what can be done about this. BTW I am quite impressed with this tablet for a price of £62 although the screen res is nowhere near that of my tab3 it is still useable. The sound is quite poor and the cameras are dreadful but for the price I don't expect miracles. Best of luck with yours.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the numbers still make sense, though. Those missing 4-5 GB are probably being taken up by the OS, and therefore not reported to you. The 0.98 GB of "internal memory" is the small partition where you can install apps (which is unfortunately very limiting), and the 11 GB of "internal SD" acts like an SD card--it can be used for storage of media files, but you can't use it for direct installation of apps. See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Further to my last post I have checked the full storage date and it appears the internal storage that totals 0.98 gb has 334 mb available and the apps takes 666mb of the total. The secondary internal storage of 16gb has 11.82 gb available while the apps takes 12.01mb the few pictures stored take 5.6mb audio and downloads take a few hundred kb. The rest from this storage must be used by the operating system and seems to be a tad over 4gb which ties in with my tab3 quite closely.

Posted via Android Central App