Has anyone even heard of this thing?

hallda01

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Alright, so last week my Dad shows me this link of a tablet he bought for my Mom for $200. Specs looked okay, but not great, but I just said, yeah, looks alright, knowing that it was already there and returning it would be a hassle. My Mom calls me yesterday and wants me to look into it because she knows my Dad's penchant for being both cheap, and technologically inept.

It's called the KomandoTab, by Kim Komando. From what I can tell she's some tech journalist who has a radio show and contributes to non-tech specific news outlets a lot. My problem is, I can find literally nothing about this tablet that doesn't come from her. I try Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, CNet, BGR, and of course here but find nothing. Even the cheap-*** $50 junk tablets usually have a review somewhere.

Furthermore, when I do watch her in-house fake tech blog videos, it looks like the tablet is just a cheap Chinese number with her name slapped on it. Problem is I can't substantiate that at all because I can't find any info on it.

My Mom wants me to tell my Dad to return it because she doesn't like it, and I can't argue with her. For $50 more she could get something from a known commodity. But he's the sort of person I have to come at with hard data, so if anybody knows anything about it, I'd appreciate it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so last week my Dad shows me this link of a tablet he bought for my Mom for $200. Specs looked okay, but not great, but I just said, yeah, looks alright, knowing that it was already there and returning it would be a hassle. My Mom calls me yesterday and wants me to look into it because she knows my Dad's penchant for being both cheap, and technologically inept.

It's called the KomandoTab, by Kim Komando. From what I can tell she's some tech journalist who has a radio show and contributes to non-tech specific news outlets a lot. My problem is, I can find literally nothing about this tablet that doesn't come from her. I try Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, CNet, BGR, and of course here but find nothing. Even the cheap-*** $50 junk tablets usually have a review somewhere.

Furthermore, when I do watch her in-house fake tech blog videos, it looks like the tablet is just a cheap Chinese number with her name slapped on it. Problem is I can't substantiate that at all because I can't find any info on it.

My Mom wants me to tell my Dad to return it because she doesn't like it, and I can't argue with her. For $50 more she could get something from a known commodity. But he's the sort of person I have to come at with hard data, so if anybody knows anything about it, I'd appreciate it.

Never heard of the tablet. Heard of Kim Komando, although, 90% of the time I either don't agree with her opinions, and her reviews and tips are often horrible. I am in the process of searching now. What info do you think you will need?

hallda01

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I actually think I found it on my own. I just looked on eBay for the generic ~$100 10 inch tablets and found that they have almost the exact specs of this KomandoTab. But any other info on why it's crap (without being mean, he was trying to do something nice), would be appreciated. It is troubling how well she controls the info on the thing though, you'd think Google would come up with something from a 3rd party.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually think I found it on my own. I just looked on eBay for the generic ~$100 10 inch tablets and found that they have almost the exact specs of this KomandoTab. But any other info on why it's crap (without being mean, he was trying to do something nice), would be appreciated. It is troubling how well she controls the info on the thing though, you'd think Google would come up with something from a 3rd party.

I saw a lot of buzz about it, but little more info. I couldn't find the version of the OS (can be a deciding factor), The internal storage is decent, but depends on how it is partitioned, RAM can be a hindrance (only 1GB) and it depends on how much garbage is preinstalled on the device.

I am not sure what I can suggest to tell your dad why to ditch the thing (there is nothing obvious like low internal memory, bad/old Android version, etc)

The only point you probably have is there are cheaper tablets that offer the same thing (update support is questionable for the cheaper tablets, but who knows the track record for Kim's signature tablet either) or for about $79 more, ebay has a refurbished Nexus 10.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are better off getting a Nexus 7 2013, though now probably refurbished. Hell i would even take the ipad mini which I have seen at the $200 price point recently over this

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure what she's done to get that spot but she really doesn't know that much about tech. I once heard her recommend to a caller that they open up a laptop to see if the sensor under the keyboard had shifted because it wasn't displaying the characters they were typing when they had accidentally turned on the alternate keyboard. As for the Tab it seems really odd that there is such a vacuum around it considering her "obvious" tech knowledge. Maybe you can use that as an argument. Meanwhile if mom isn't happy with it that should be motivation enough for dad to return it, or you could offer to split the $50 difference with dad and pony up $25 of your own to help him see the light, and get mom something she will really like.

GL

hallda01

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Just talked to my Dad. I think I've convinced him to go the iPad Mini route. Should work out, he tends to trust my word on these things.

gerstj

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
This is an old thread, but did anyone ever have direct experience with the Komando tablet. All of the comments so far are generalizations and surmises from other Android tablets. The Komando tablet is now on sale for $134.99 open box.

joat1957

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I bought one in July, but it was wonky from the beginning. The tablet would freeze all the time, usually when Apps wanted to update. Multiple updates sent it into spasms. I returned it and received another via warranty. This unit has performed well for what I use it for; streaming video (You Tube, Hulu, Xfinity) Surfing net, streaming audio and reading e-books. The customer service was adequate with the initial tablet issues. I bought it for $160; and purchased a blue tooth keyboard with cover. My issue with the cover is the hooks on the corners cover the front camera (really not a good camera, need lots of light to skype) and the cover actually is made for a tablet that is probably a 1/2" taller. I wanted a cheap tablet to do what I said above and it works just fine for that.

roxie1975

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Yes I did get one for Christmas last year and would not give you a dime for another. I barely had it a month and had to send it back cause it would not work right. It cost me to send it back. Every once in a while it still messed up and finally the power and volume buttons got stuck. It kept going from the komando tab screen to the android screen and no further. I had to send it back again at my cost and just got a phone call from them saying that now all is working and told me I must have dropped it. Which I did not cause I am the only one that uses it. They can't do much on it except to factory reset it and send it back. I told the guy that I should have never bought the piece of junk and should have bought an ipad instead. I am not at all happy with this. By the time I pay for all the postage I could have bought an ipad. So the customer service and tech support really stinks and are hard to get ahold of. So dont buy one.

lojopgh

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Kim Komando sells cheap chinese crap with her name slapped on it. She should be ashamed of herself. She charges twice as much as the same thing being sold on chinese crap websites. Never buy anything from her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007