Verizon lack of 5G?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
By extension, new towers means more coverage. 5G means faster speeds and higher tower capacity as well. Faster downloads in an emergency situation or last minute decision
Capacity isn't an issue only 5G could solve. Higher download speeds would fall into bragging rights when you can already stream 1080p on 4G (any higher resolution wouldn't be noticeable, and even 720p is about the limit for most people). I'm also unable to even think of a situation where a last minute decision or emergency could pop up where such a minor difference would come into play. If it's that big of an emergency, I'm thinking 911 would already be involved.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Capacity isn't an issue only 5G could solve. Higher download speeds would fall into bragging rights when you can already stream 1080p on 4G (any higher resolution wouldn't be noticeable, and even 720p is about the limit for most people). I'm also unable to even think of a situation where a last minute decision or emergency could pop up where such a minor difference would come into play. If it's that big of an emergency, I'm thinking 911 would already be involved.

No but it certainly helps with capacity, more towers with newer equipment = greater capacity. So according to your statement nobody needs anything faster than 100mbps for their home connection, yet I bet the majority of people here have faster than 100mbps. By emergency I don't mean the likes of calling 911, more along the lines of you are about to board a flight and realize you won't have data at your destination, say Greece. So you want to download an offline map. With 5G speeds you can do it in seconds vs minutes.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yea, yea , yea.

We originally was only gonna get a phone to use in case of a emergency .
Now look where we are..
We can't even talk to each other.
Cause one of us can't get off the phone.

If i can't talk to you.
I'm gone.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
No but it certainly helps with capacity, more towers with newer equipment = greater capacoty. So according to your statement nobody needs anything faster than 100mbps for their home connection, yet I bet the majority of people here have faster than 100mbps. By emergency I don't mean the likes of calling 911, more along the lines of you are about to board a flight and realize you won't have data at your destination, say Greece. So you want to download an offline map. With 5G speeds you can do it in seconds vs minutes.

100 mbps.

Dauym
I just upgraded to 10 mbps cause the wife is working from home.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No but it certainly helps with capacity, more towers with newer equipment = greater capacity. So according to your statement nobody needs anything faster than 100mbps for their home connection, yet I bet the majority of people here have faster than 100mbps. By emergency I don't mean the likes of calling 911, more along the lines of you are about to board a flight and realize you won't have data at your destination, say Greece. So you want to download an offline map. With 5G speeds you can do it in seconds vs minutes.

Depends on the home and number/types of connected devices. In your map example, that's hardly an emergency. You can download that when you land, on your way to the exit door. On 4G, that map would still download in less than a minute.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't want it. Having extra speed is always nice, but everyone thinks it'll make some huge difference in their day to day activities. My point is that it won't. For those having to pay extra for it, it's a waste of money.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the home and number/types of connected devices. In your map example, that's hardly an emergency. You can download that when you land, on your way to the exit door. On 4G, that map would still download in less than a minute.

And I'm not saying you shouldn't want it. Having extra speed is always nice, but everyone thinks it'll make some huge difference in their day to day activities. My point is that it won't. For those having to pay extra for it, it's a waste of money.

I know it won't, thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying calling it unnecessary or pointless is in my opinion not logical stance. Advancement is needed if we want other areas to advance. Just because we don't have a use for that kind of speed today doesn't mean we won't in the future. Not too long ago it was unfathomable that computers would ever need more than a few GB of HD space (and before that MB) but today, now that the technology is available, so have come advancements such as GUIs and such.

Same could happen with phones. Some day our phones may act more as thin-clients and run everything from the cloud, opening up the possibility of replacing the home computer altogether

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Same could happen with phones. Some day our phones may act more as thin-clients and run everything from the cloud, opening up the possibility of replacing the home computer altogether

Fair point, but no phone currently on the market can truly take advantage of the new technology in a meaningful way. So for purposes of this discussion, I still maintain 5G isn't the phenomenal leap the supporters are claiming.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Fair point, but no phone currently on the market can truly take advantage of the new technology in a meaningful way. So for purposes of this discussion, I still maintain 5G isn't the phenomenal leap the supporters are claiming.

Lol again, I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with the other post saying 5G is for bragging rights. I'm just saying it has its place and isn't pointless.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm disagreeing with the other post saying 5G is for bragging rights.

And as I just said, right now that is all it's for. The potential benefits don't come into play when no device out now or in the near future can take advantage of them.

The thread was started complaining about Verizon's lack of 5G coverage. Let's turn the argument on its head and pretend they had full 5G coverage. Nothing would change as far as user experience is concerned. So someone saves a few seconds on the occasional large game download or something, it's hardly worth writing home about. It's like the megapixel wars on cameras. Just because there's more doesn't mean it's better.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
The thread was started complaining about Verizon's lack of 5G coverage. Let's turn the argument on its head and pretend they had full 5G coverage. Nothing would change as far as ...... Just because there's more doesn't mean it's better.

I respectfully disagree, with the big hype over 5G (warranted or not), the general public will say they want it. People want what they don't have. So it will push providers to expand their 5G network and thereby increase their network coverage. Maybe I'm thinking at this all more from a T-Mobilr perspective though. Speaking strictly Verizon, it will take them year, if ever, to be able to get 5G everywhere using mmwave. I just see this as a big opportunity for networks to better their existing coverage if they can't yet deliver on their 5G

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I respectfully disagree, with the big hype over 5G (warranted or not), the general public will say they want it. People want what they don't have. So it will push providers to expand their 5G network and thereby increase their network coverage. Maybe I'm thinking at this all more from a T-Mobilr perspective though. Speaking strictly Verizon, it will take them year, if ever, to be able to get 5G everywhere using mmwave. I just see this as a big opportunity for networks to better their existing coverage if they can't yet deliver on their 5G

A franchise store said right now verizon is not gonna charge for 5G.
But when I called verizon customer support on the phone.
They said yes they are.

I am 4 counties from where I know 5G works.

According to a couple places.
Right now you can get upgraded to 5G for 10.00 a month.
That would be great for my wife.
She is always with me.
Neither or us watch movies on the phone.
Or play games that would eat up much data.

Been talking to her about cHecking T-mobile out.
70.00 a month for everythingl

I live out in the country.
So I don't care. if the phone don't work everywhere.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They said yes they are.

She is always with me.

Some plans include 5G. My plan doesn't and it would be 10 dollars a month if I wanted it but there is no 5G service here.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Often when out but there is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. I had 1080p for years and would love to check out 4K on a tablet or computer using phone as hotspot. 5G should have no problem with 4K but VZW won't even allow 1080p

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
They said yes they are.

She is always with me.

I can highly recommend T-Mobile. Made the switch from Red a while back. Happy that my bill is always the same and they don't retire and create new plans every other week. One solid fee everything included. I don't foresee myself ever going back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So you don't leave home and go to other places.

Or what about in a year from now.
Well in this current state we are in I no longer travel into Manhattan which surprisingly has very little Verizon 5G. There is no where in the area that is really established. A year from now is a different story and I have a 5G device so I'm ready when they are.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08