AT&T 5G "free"

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So to use my phone at it's full potential I have to change my plan to a new plan that has free 5g but for the equalivent plan is 40 dollars more lol 😂😂🤣 man who knew free equal 40 dollars🤔.

. 😂🤣😅😭🙃

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: art 5g "free"

So to use my phone at it's full potential I have to change my plan to a new plan that has free 5g but for the equalivent plan is 40 dollars more lol man who knew free equal 40 dollars.

Wow, I suddenly don't feel so bad. If I switched to free 5G, it would only increase my bill $10/mo. Must be because it's not available many places.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
So I spoke to rep it's a 50 dollar increase and then on top of that losing about 35 dollars in discounts. so yeah that's a no for me. I guess I need to start to shop around my att bill is already over 600 that's including my directtv

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: art 5g "free"

So I spoke to rep it's a 50 dollar increase and then on top of that losing about 35 dollars in discounts. so yeah that's a no for me. I guess I need to start to shop around my att bill is already over 600 that's including my directtv
Want me correct the title to Att?

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: AT&T 5g "free"

I just noticed their is a carrier forum if you want to move there you can. sorry if i put it in the wrong spot.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Man, again, I am so glad I moved off of AT&T.

I am with Sprint/T-Mobile and the Note 20 is my first 5G phone and I needed to change NOTHING on my plans to get on 5G. Ok, I lied, I needed a 5G device. :p

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I think AT&T 5G is just a fantasy that doesn't really exist. I bought a Note20u AT&T directly from Samsung. I ended up have to change my plan from an older unlimited plan to their latest greatest unlimited elite 5G plan. According to AT&T's site my neighborhood is smack dab in the middle of 5G coverage according to their map and a zip code search on their site. I get no 5G at all. AT&T says my phone is not on their approved list of acceptable model numbers for AT&T 5G. It's a US version bought directly from Samsung as an AT&T version! My coworker bought the exact same phone from Samsung (also AT&T) when i bought mine but he gets 5G. I'm beyond p*ssed at AT&T and now I'm stuck with a more expensive unlimited plan than before and cannot go back because it's an old plan. I still think the rep didn't know what he was talking about saying my phone isn't 5G capable on AT&T. Makes absolutely zero sense! The only thing he said that made sense is that since I changed my plan the new phone's IMEI hasn't updated on their system yet but I doubt that has much to do with 5G but I could be wrong. Anyone else having this kind of issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I think AT&T 5G is just a fantasy that doesn't really exist. I bought a Note20u AT&T directly from Samsung. I ended up have to change my plan from an older unlimited plan to their latest greatest unlimited elite 5G plan. According to AT&T's site my neighborhood is smack dab in the middle of 5G coverage according to their map and a zip code search on their site. I get no 5G at all. AT&T says my phone is not on their approved list of acceptable model numbers for AT&T 5G. It's a US version bought directly from Samsung as an AT&T version! My coworker bought the exact same phone from Samsung (also AT&T) when i bought mine but he gets 5G. I'm beyond p*ssed at AT&T and now I'm stuck with a more expensive unlimited plan than before and cannot go back because it's an old plan. I still think the rep didn't know what he was talking about saying my phone isn't 5G capable on AT&T. Makes absolutely zero sense! The only thing he said that made sense is that since I changed my plan the new phone's IMEI hasn't updated on their system yet but I doubt that has much to do with 5G but I could be wrong. Anyone else having this kind of issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you and your co-worker been next to each other in an area he gets 5G? It would be helpful to know if you both get 5G or not. It would also be a good test for him to come to your place to see if he gets 5G.

Without more investigation, this could be a settings issue, a signal/coverage issue, a network configuration issue, or something else. I read that TMO requires a special 5G compatible SIM card, so it wouldn't hurt to compare yours to your friend's SIM card too (I'm not familiar with AT&T's implementation, so this may not be an issue).

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Have you and your co-worker been next to each other in an area he gets 5G? It would be helpful to know if you both get 5G or not. It would also be a good test for him to come to your place to see if he gets 5G.

Without more investigation, this could be a settings issue, a signal/coverage issue, a network configuration issue, or something else. I read that TMO requires a special 5G compatible SIM card, so it wouldn't hurt to compare yours to your friend's SIM card too (I'm not familiar with AT&T's implementation, so this may not be an issue).
I was told that AT&T doesn't have special 5G sim cards. I read that about TMO too. I'm wondering if the IMEI not being registered on my account is the issue.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

I was told that AT&T doesn't have special 5G sim cards. I read that about TMO too. I'm wondering if the IMEI not being registered on my account is the issue.
Yeah if you IMEI is not provisioned properly on your account then that is most likely the cause.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Yeah if you IMEI is not provisioned properly on your account then that is most likely the cause.

That was exactly the problem! After messing around with chat and phone support for several days I have determined that both are 100% useless! I went into the AT&T store in the local mall yesterday after work. Told the guy there my issues. He got on his tablet, brought up my account, and had everything fixed in 5 minutes. My wife's Note 20 was showing as unknown device so she couldn't get 5G or add insurance to her phone (trust me...she NEEDS insurance). He updated her to the correct IMEI and added the insurance. He then updated my IMEI from my old Note 9 to my new Note 20. I went home and BOOM we both had 5G service working for us. Wish I would have just went to the store to begin with!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I left AT&T for several reasons and went with TMobile and couldn't be happier. Their 5G might be a bit slower but it's almost everywhere I go and I don't pay extra for it. Just like Verizon that charge for a no existing 5G service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey