Verizon's Customer Service Has Really Gone Downhill...

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Having been with them for over twenty years, and for the most part very satisfied with their customer service and protocols, irrespective of the CV problems...

My sense is that Verizon from the top down has made it fairly difficult to get the company off of their ...now... rather strict rules, regulations, protocols when asking the company for assistance. If you can connect, their reps are 'just following the rules' and trying to get supervisors on the call, that too has been difficult and if successful, their hands are tied, where in the past, they had the ability... to make things happen.

Finally, it appears to me that deals and promotions are to get new customers to switch over rather than taking care of long term, and loyal customers. LOYALTY TO VERIZON... DOES NOT MATTER!

Don't know how others here feel but I get the sense, others will agree with me.

If I didn't travel so much in the rural West, I'd port out of Verizon to T Mobile.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm order to go downhill you have to be uphill first.

Though I don't interact with them as much as I used too I have never been really dissatisfied and when I am I'm persistent till I get satisfaction. Lately I use the chat more than I call because it's easier to get someone. Probably because they deal with more than one customer at a time.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I worked for Verizon 2012-2016, they didn't care about loyalty then either. Promotions have been to get new lines of service for as long as I can remember.

As to the customer service, that has indeed gone downhill. Call centers got closed, outsourced, and hours reduced. Once upon a time they had support 24/7 including holidays, employees rotated which holidays they had to work. I miss the days of getting a live rep located in America within a few minutes, even on Christmas. They some what made up for it with the online chat, but it's still not what it was.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Having been with them for over twenty years, and for the most part very satisfied with their customer service and protocols, irrespective of the CV problems...

My sense is that Verizon from the top down has made it fairly difficult to get the company off of their ...now... rather strict rules, regulations, protocols when asking the company for assistance. If you can connect, their reps are 'just following the rules' and trying to get supervisors on the call, that too has been difficult and if successful, their hands are tied, where in the past, they had the ability... to make things happen.

Finally, it appears to me that deals and promotions are to get new customers to switch over rather than taking care of long term, and loyal customers. LOYALTY TO VERIZON... DOES NOT MATTER!

Don't know how others here feel but I get the sense, others will agree with me.

If I didn't travel so much in the rural West, I'd port out of Verizon to T Mobile.

All customer service is going downhill... I think it's the Indian call center effect. Kind of like how the cheap Chinese labor effect brought the quality, and price, of most things down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Verizon works good for me.
I've been with about everybody.
I've had more problems and listened to more promises from At&T than anybody.
Usually AT&T is the last people to release updates for your phone too.
They don't care what you think.

You got to go with the carrier that work's the best in your area.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I was with Verizon for over 27 years and before that Bell Atlantic Mobile made the switch to AT&T then Tmobile and couldn't be happier. Their customer service is spot on plus they are going to be the biggest carrier by the end of 2021 with the most coverage.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'll post a followup to my initial one. Had to talk with Verizon about a different matter. Could not get through on the tech line... so I went in via the new customer sales line, then got transferred over to the tech side. Got one of the nicest VZ reps on the line, she immediately thanked me for my very long term loyalty. That was nice to hear.

We discussed a couple of things, got it all squared away. Mentioned to her my degrading battery on the Note 9, unbelievable amount of business and personal use the past eight months since this crazy CV started.

Know what? They covered the full amount of the battery replacement at ubreakitifixit! Credited my account in full. She got a supervisor on the phone and he apologized for any disrespectful treatment I received, and I thanked him for that.

There's a line from the I Ching... Perseverance Furthers. In my case, with Verizon, this worked. Maybe they read my post here on AC. That'll be funny if they did. Note 9... has a factory fresh battery due to extended warranty and VZ Goodwill.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Perseverance for sure!! I've had issues in the past that required multiple calls and chats. Just a matter of finding the right rep that knows how to get things done. It can be frustrating for sure.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP here. They flat out don't care about loyalty, they just want new customers. I've been with Verizon since 2005, and when I inquire with customer service on cell phone deals, they say they have nothing for me since I am not a new customer, but then they thank me for my loyalty. I know they're trying to be polite, but, it is a slap in the face to say that.

Either they have some great holiday deals, or, I am switching. Might consider Google Fi.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Loyalty doesn't matter to any of the carriers. You want the best deal? You have to be a new customer. I don't get why this is a surprise.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
It's all a number game but best customer service hands down is tmobile they are the best!!!

Nah, they’re all the same when they encounter unique but not unusual problems. I have a multi-line account with AT&T that I’ve considered moving for the last two years. My account fluctuates due to need between 8-10 lines. Two years ago I walked into a corporate store, explained I wanted a single line prepaid account just for testing coverage. I have never been able to login to account. I opened a second line for testing coverage. One phone with band 66 and one without band 66 to see coverage gaps. I have never been able to login to separate account.

It seems that original salesperson created a postpaid line profile for me. It resides in some pending status to allow that person to claim the credit for landing my account. I’ve had other store managers try and fix problem. Service center managers over the phone can’t fix the problem. With T-Mobile/Sprint merger, perhaps one day, I’ll have a profile that I can use. Ultimately, I wouldn’t save any money since AT&T is rewarding my loyalty slightly.

It seems the 1/2 of my account that are temporary lines off and on, created some kind of churn report that I’m leaving when I shut off lines. Five years ago, I was given a promotional 15GB plan that doubled my data to 30GB for same price. Right before the pandemic started, the plan became a 45GB plan for the 15GB price.

The churn data is simply in their favor. All carriers know the grass is the same color green on the other side of the fence. T-Mobile doesn’t promote loyalty either. A business associate of mine and I have gone back and forth, AT&T vs T-Mobile, over 15 years. T-Mobile basically told him to go pound sand on new device promotions as well. He’s got 6-8 lines so almost like me as we’re in the same business structure.

All three carriers operate from the almost identical sales and service playbook. The landline Cable/FIOS do the same thing for new customers only. We switch every year as simply the game....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I disagree that customer loyalty doesn't matter. It won't get you very far with new deals but I've had them go out of their way to accommodate me when things have gone wrong with a device even out of warranty or getting certain fees waived.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
ATT customer service has gone downhill. I was with them for at least 15 years. CS used to be very good.
When I bought my wife and I Pixel 4a's I noticed I had wifi calling but she didn't. I called customer service and after waiting over 15 minutes finally got a person. After a lengthy discussion he transfered me to tech support. I was on hold for so long that I was brought back to customer service. I just hung up. I then went down to the ATT store. After fiddle f***ing around with them they admitted they thought tech support could fix the issue and that the could arrange to have tech au6xall at a certain time of my choosing. That sounded ok but I thought "why don't you call tech support". I said ok but then they told me I had to pay $15 for insurance to make that happen. To he$$ with that. I went home and switched us to Google FI in about 5 minutes.
ATT lost two long time customers, plus we save over $35 a month with GFi.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I disagree that customer loyalty doesn't matter. It won't get you very far with new deals but I've had them go out of their way to accommodate me when things have gone wrong with a device even out of warranty or getting certain fees waived.

I definitely agree with that as well. For the OP, it seems quite a slap in the face when needing a new device. With AT&T, loyalty has been rewarded for me. Unfortunately, T-Mobile, even with two lines and two years, not so much. The simultaneous aspects of the situation makes it at minimum, a head scratcher though.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Let them in the 90s. My ex-husband was with them over 20 years. Not sure what was so difficult about him trying to get one of his phones ported over to a different carrier for work, but the outcome of that one phonecall landed him in the hospital. Why? Call was rather heated on both ends and he fell out right where he sat. He ended up switching service after that. The talk of the town for years was him having a heartattack over his phone. Pun that wasn't so funny...

So yeah, Verizon isn't my thing. I've been on Sprint myself since day one and I'm pretty happy...

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Tmobile has come leaps and bounds and their customer service is awesome now a days. I had all three carriers 27 years with Verizon then AT&T now TMO and couldn't be happier if I have an issue they work on it I til it's fixed. Called one day about bad service in an area near my house and 10 days later they said it was fixed and it was great service.