I really need to do something about porting my old number over, so I can get rid of AT&T. I'm so sick of the "let's make sure it's really you" moronic confirmation when paying a bill. Stupid AT&T texts a number to the phone, and then one enters that. That's reason enough to cancel.

I won't miss AT&T at all; the signal was horrendous and this. Somehow, my previous payment didn't go through, probably because I got distracted by the moronic "let's make sure". No email or anything telling me it was late. Bye, AT&T!
    04-02-2021 08:01 AM
    I think all carriers do something like this to try to prevent SIM hijacking (although it's debatable how effective those measures are): https://securityboulevard.com/2020/0...r%20SIM%20card.
    04-02-2021 10:54 AM
    Not sure how the 'amp' part got on my title.

I always seem to forget to do the AT&T bill in another type of browser, so the missed payment must have come when I either didn't switch to the other browser, or somehow didn't hit the final button.

It doesn't bug me on the other browser because I don't have it set up to dump cookies every time the browser's closed.

If only there could be a perfect medium of security; boost mobile with it's pathetic PIN or this with the ridiculous 'let's make sure it's really you'. "make sure' would be peachy keen on stuff like changing password, etc.

And the useless captchas in just about everything - make sure it's a bus, etc. The kicker was jury duty, something I really didn't want to do, having to do the stupid captchas to see the schedule. I was raging like the Captain in Dr. Who's the Pirate Planet.

I really need to decide what to do; to port over my number, or what. It's not worth paying two bills, one for a phone I rarely use. I do like that I've had less scam numbers on Boost.
    04-03-2021 10:02 AM
    I edited the "amp;" out of the title. The forum software does that automatically in some situations if an ampersand is used, not sure why.
    04-03-2021 12:03 PM
    Did the S5 have issues with lousy reception? I wonder if my perpetually terrible signal was AT&T or the Otterbox case on the phone? The otterbox doesn't affect the Note 20.
    04-06-2021 10:00 AM
    Is your S5 an AT&T-branded one, or was it from a different carrier? Back then, a phone variant from one carrier would often have very different network band support than a variant from another carrier, with only some overlap. Without full band support, you could experience poor signal more often.
    04-06-2021 12:41 PM
    Yes, AT&T branded one. I LOATHED that stupid push message for AT&T's bloatware.

The S5 proved to be a pretty reliable phone, however. It's still alive until I figure out to do with the number.

I would have to go into developer mode and switch it to WCMDA only to get a decent signal.

My signal (unmodded) on the Note 20 Ultra is just fine.
    04-07-2021 10:10 AM