Google messages chat issue

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new T-mobile branded galaxy s21 ultra. This phone is awesome and working flawlessly with one exception. I took the T-mobile sim from my old phone, and put it in my new S21 ultra. In goigle messages, the chat feature will not verify my number even though I've had it for over 20 years. After reading on-line that this seems to be a wide spread issue. Since it won't verify my number, I cannot send or receive texts over wifi. My data has no issues, just over wifi. That is a major problem. Trying to reach out to Google was a nightmare, and T-mobile "so called expert" had no idea what I was trying to explain. ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER? I've tried several things. No luck.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Do you still have your old phone? If so, put the sim back in and disable chat features. Keep the sim in the phone for an hour or two for the request to "process". Then move the sim to the new phone and enable chat. This is the best practice when changing phones. It will still take a few hours for chat to go through the verification routine. Don't fret if you no longer have your old phone. It will still eventually verify your number, but the process will take a few days.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. It makes sense. Yes, I do have it. I actually love it. It's a zte axon 10 pro and with the exception of the 3.5mm jack, it's a great device. I'll keep you posted.

poit57

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm with AT&T and have an AT&T branded S20 5G. Since first activating the chat feature on my old phone, I have had 2 issues with this service. The first was when moving from my Xperia to the S20 last summer. I was missing all replies from my cousin and brother until I turned on my old phone one day and noticed that all the Google messages were being delivered to the old phone.

The second issue didn't come up until July 20th when I realized I wasn't receiving replies from my cousin anymore. When I checked the chat features setting, I noticed that it was trying to verify. I've since tried a factory reset on my phone, but I have not been able to get this feature working in two weeks. From what little I could find online, the Google support forums indicate that this is a system wide issue that the developers are aware of. That was just from other users, but I haven't been able to find any comments directly from Google about this issue.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
RCS is Google's problem child.... it's been partially broken from the beginning. It's hit or miss, I wouldn't worry about it too much.... it'll just stress you out. I imagine they'll eventually get it working right. Mines been working great through 2 pixels, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't miss it, it only works with my wife, and I really never noticed any difference in my normal texting experience between it and regular texting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now Visual Voicemails a whole nother story lol.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. It makes sense. Yes, I do have it. I actually love it. It's a zte axon 10 pro and with the exception of the 3.5mm jack, it's a great device. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, a ZTE Axon 10 Pro! Awesome! I love ZTE phones! How did the SIM transfer suggestion work for you?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Chat is working flawlessly on the samsung app. Works over data and wifi. Looks like Google creates things, hypes them up with no backup. So I uninstalled Google messages.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2