I currently have a Pre and do not pay the $10 premium data charge. If I upgrade to the Phonton I realize I will have to start paying that fee. However, if I return the Photon and go back to my Pre will I still have to pay the $10 premium?

TIA-
    08-01-2011 10:19 AM
    I would probably say yes, that you would be stuck paying the fee... Might want to give Sprint a call and see what their policy is. Their new policy includes a $10 data fee for all smart phones, not just 4G data. Even though you'll be going back to a phone which was pre-data fee, but Sprint is trying to get everyone with a smart phone to pay that fee.
    08-01-2011 10:54 AM
    I would probably say yes, that you would be stuck paying the fee... Might want to give Sprint a call and see what their policy is. Their new policy includes a $10 data fee for all smart phones, not just 4G data. Even though you'll be going back to a phone which was pre-data fee, but Sprint is trying to get everyone with a smart phone to pay that fee.
    I suspect you are correct. I'm going to run out to BB to have a look and talk to the folks there. If I want to proceed, I'll give Sprint a call.

I just hate the thought of adding $40 to my plan (I have 4 lines to upgrade and they will be smartphones).
    08-01-2011 10:58 AM
    I would activate an old flip phone to get out of the $10 fee and carry the pre to use on wi-fi.
    08-01-2011 11:07 AM
    I would activate an old flip phone to get out of the $10 fee and carry the pre to use on wi-fi.
    Then you'll be paying for data you won't be using. Plus, it's not efficient to carry around two devices just because you want to dodge a $10 fee. The plans on Sprint are still very competitive when compared to the other big carriers and you get unlimited data. If you drop the data as part of the plan to do what you suggest you'll be in a situation where you risk losing unlimited data just in case Sprint changes their policy sometime down the road.

My suggestion is to call Sprint and see what their policy is. If you want to give back the Photon because of the Fee then see if they will waive the $10-fee to return back to your Pre. If not, then just stick with the Photon and have fun with it
    08-01-2011 11:24 AM
    I have heard a few stories of pre owners having the fee waived. Calling retention should work.

But I have a feeling you won't want to go back.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    08-01-2011 11:35 AM
    Going from a Pre to a Photon I doubt you will want to go back to your Pre. That phone was an amazingly epic fail in my book. It was awful!
    08-01-2011 11:46 AM
    Well, thanks everyone. I love the Pre, but this is not the intent of my post. I'm concerned about the complaints I have heard about the screen, shutdowns, and a few others.

I called Sprint and the nice lady told me that the $10 fee would go away. However, she said it would go away because it was only for 4G devices. So, I am going to assume she was not well informed. I did ask her to put that in my account notes and heard her typing away.

OTOH, I can't believe BB does not have working phones out on display! They only have the dummy models. Not good enough, I want to see what this screen looks like. I guess, I'll just wait until the Sprint store here has a working model deployed.
    08-01-2011 12:09 PM
    nope. As long as you had the device before they started the data charge. I know as I have done it.
    jadiff likes this.
    08-01-2011 01:00 PM
    nope. As long as you had the device before they started the data charge. I know as I have done it.
    Thanks, so you went back to a device that you used prior to the $10 premium charge and they stopped collecting it. Mind if I ask which device you tried and which you switched back to?
    08-01-2011 01:02 PM
    Then you'll be paying for data you won't be using. Plus, it's not efficient to carry around two devices just because you want to dodge a $10 fee. The plans on Sprint are still very competitive when compared to the other big carriers and you get unlimited data. If you drop the data as part of the plan to do what you suggest you'll be in a situation where you risk losing unlimited data just in case Sprint changes their policy sometime down the road.

My suggestion is to call Sprint and see what their policy is. If you want to give back the Photon because of the Fee then see if they will waive the $10-fee to return back to your Pre. If not, then just stick with the Photon and have fun with it
    I definitely used the data I paid for on my old flip phone. I usually hit 4GB per month on my smartphone but I was able to hit 3GB on my flip phone (Samsung M610) streaming Pandora at work and listening to Sprint TV. Opera Mini is actually a pretty good browser and navigation worked just as well as on my smartphone. Thinking back that little Samsung was a pretty smart dumbphone.
    08-01-2011 01:04 PM
    I had a broken evo 4g (my fault, dropped it too much). and the best buy protection at the time took a month to repair it. I still have my touch pro 2 so I changed to it for the month. No $10 premium data. Also on my other lines I have done it too when my kids lose their phones and they have to use the tp2 until they find it.
    08-01-2011 02:27 PM
    @OP sorry for assuming that you didn't want to pay the fee.

I've been reading the Photon forum and have seen some of the issues posted. Hopefully you won't have an issue dropping the fee if you need to revert back to the Pre. Since it was noted in your account I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    08-01-2011 02:57 PM
    @OP sorry for assuming that you didn't want to pay the fee.

I've been reading the Photon forum and have seen some of the issues posted. Hopefully you won't have an issue dropping the fee if you need to revert back to the Pre. Since it was noted in your account I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    No worries, I appreciate all the I can get. I'm just worried about the screen and some of the crashes I've been reading about. But, as others have said, coming from a Pre I'm sure I'm likely to keep it.
    08-01-2011 03:09 PM
    I suspect you are correct. I'm going to run out to BB to have a look and talk to the folks there. If I want to proceed, I'll give Sprint a call.

I just hate the thought of adding $40 to my plan (I have 4 lines to upgrade and they will be smartphones).
    Fwiw, I have 3 lines on sprint, all smartphones. When I upgraded my line, I assumed all 3 lines would get the 10 fee added on but they only charged the phone I upgraded. So each phone line will get the 10 dollar fee when it is upgraded.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    08-01-2011 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD