Would like to use my tmobile phone sim in a tablet

ucladave

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Tmobile value plan with 2gb unlimited data. I am currently using it in an HTC MyTouch 4g phone. When I travel, I would like to be able to put that sim card into a tablet and access my 2gb of data, whether that be web browsing or watching netflix etc.

I know that this could be done in the original iPad, and I am wondering what tablets I could do this with. I would prefer an android tablet to an iPad (and I dont even know if this can still be done with the newer models anyway), ideally around 8" but open to the 10" or 7" versions as well.

I am most definitely a noob, and prefer something that will just work as I am fearful my lack of experience would lead to disaster rooting/flashing/etc.

Flyer729

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I know you said you wanted to stay away from the iPad, but for info purposes I've had my prepaid 5G of data, 100 min per month plan on my iPad 2 and it works pretty well. I've swapped the sim between iPad, iPhone and galaxy nexus. The data worked on all without modifying any settings.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a Tmobile value plan with 2gb unlimited data. I am currently using it in an HTC MyTouch 4g phone. When I travel, I would like to be able to put that sim card into a tablet and access my 2gb of data, whether that be web browsing or watching netflix etc.

I know that this could be done in the original iPad, and I am wondering what tablets I could do this with. I would prefer an android tablet to an iPad (and I dont even know if this can still be done with the newer models anyway), ideally around 8" but open to the 10" or 7" versions as well.

I am most definitely a noob, and prefer something that will just work as I am fearful my lack of experience would lead to disaster rooting/flashing/etc.

I've read some people on here saying that the prepaid doesn't work when you put the t-mobile sim into the nexus 7, but I haven't heard or read any reports on the value plan sim. Hopefully someone else can shed some light?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
As long as the tablet is not locked to a specific carrier it should not be a problem. The SIM doesn't care what device it is in. The 7" Nexus in the Play Store is listed for either AT&T or T-Mobile. I do not know if that means it is carrier locked or if it just comes with a SIM kit. Nexus devices are not supposed to be locked to anyone, but i would double check. The iPad is most definitely carrier locked.

issyboo

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: sim enabled tablets

I am looking to purchase a tablet here in the Bahamas. The problem with that is we are a little behind in technology and I would like to have internet access whereever I am. We can purchase data plans with the local telecommunications company here that would allow that but they only carry the ipad and thats a little too expensive for me. HELP!! I need a tblet that I can place a sim card into that is not going to break the bank.

pelesl

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to update everyone with my recent experience with T-mobile.

They are offering a 4 line/2.5GB data each for $100 a month. Comes out to $117 or so with taxes. The data goes down to 1 GB in January 2016 at which point you jump to a different plan so who cares. It's "unlimited", just throttled (presumably heavily).

I was paying the same amount for an older plan with two lines so it was a no brainer. On an iPad, they detect the tablet and refuse you service. However T-mobile has another deal which is to get a free 1GB data-only line per phone line you have, up to a maximum of two.

So in other words you can get 4 phone lines, each with 2.5GB data, and 2 data-only lines, with 1GB each (data is not shareable) for about $120 per month after all fees and taxes. It's totally dumb and I argued that if I get a Samsung Note I get almost the same screen size as an iPad mini but all of a sudden I can get 2.5x more data because it can also receive calls. But T-mobile is one of the ones that tries to charge for tethering, too, so it doesn't surprise me, I guess. However, it was this post that got me to try it so now you are warned!

I'm trying to find out if every tablet reports itself, but seeing as how they can detect which phone you have and show it to you in your "my account" page, I'm sure it's all pretty well covered. But that may not stop the more tech savvy from sticking a phone sim on a device that can then be attached to a computer, for example. I'd love to know if anyone has had success in having the device lie to the provider.

I have a friend that has a Nokia phone that runs Debian Linux.... T-mobile has no idea what to do with that; he can tether all they long and they have no idea. Unlocked foreign devices may be the best option here, but somehow I feel like nowadays "globalization" has taken care of anything fun.

As for me, I'll keep my two stupid data-only SIMs and swap them out when one "runs out". The iPad mini (just bought it) has terrible reception so I may end up getting a hotspot device instead. In a car you can shove the hotspot to the windshield and wifi the hell out of everything else.

And therein goes more BS. They won't let you tether but they let you run a hotspot for free.... We all know why they do that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to update everyone with my recent experience with T-mobile.

They are offering a 4 line/2.5GB data each for $100 a month. Comes out to $117 or so with taxes. The data goes down to 1 GB in January 2016 at which point you jump to a different plan so who cares. It's "unlimited", just throttled (presumably heavily).

I was paying the same amount for an older plan with two lines so it was a no brainer. On an iPad, they detect the tablet and refuse you service. However T-mobile has another deal which is to get a free 1GB data-only line per phone line you have, up to a maximum of two.

So in other words you can get 4 phone lines, each with 2.5GB data, and 2 data-only lines, with 1GB each (data is not shareable) for about $120 per month after all fees and taxes. It's totally dumb and I argued that if I get a Samsung Note I get almost the same screen size as an iPad mini but all of a sudden I can get 2.5x more data because it can also receive calls. But T-mobile is one of the ones that tries to charge for tethering, too, so it doesn't surprise me, I guess. However, it was this post that got me to try it so now you are warned!

I'm trying to find out if every tablet reports itself, but seeing as how they can detect which phone you have and show it to you in your "my account" page, I'm sure it's all pretty well covered. But that may not stop the more tech savvy from sticking a phone sim on a device that can then be attached to a computer, for example. I'd love to know if anyone has had success in having the device lie to the provider.

I have a friend that has a Nokia phone that runs Debian Linux.... T-mobile has no idea what to do with that; he can tether all they long and they have no idea. Unlocked foreign devices may be the best option here, but somehow I feel like nowadays "globalization" has taken care of anything fun.

As for me, I'll keep my two stupid data-only SIMs and swap them out when one "runs out". The iPad mini (just bought it) has terrible reception so I may end up getting a hotspot device instead. In a car you can shove the hotspot to the windshield and wifi the hell out of everything else.

And therein goes more BS. They won't let you tether but they let you run a hotspot for free.... We all know why they do that.

You say "charge for tether" and... "Won't let you tether but run a hot spot for free" .... That confuses me... Since connecting to a hotspot is tethering... So what is the issue? Also they allow tethering on all their phone data plans... Either up to your high speed allotment or up to 5 GB if you have unlimited data via your phone.

pelesl

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
OK, it appears you are correct, and I'm out of touch --- T-mobile no longer charges for tethering (it used to be +$15 or so).

If that's the case then all I have to do is get a "mobile hotspot ready" phone and use the extra lines for whatever.

So this is even dumber than I thought. I cannot put the SIM with 2.5 GB data in an iPad, but I can instead put it in a phone that sits in my pocket and feeds the iPad whatever it wants. Nice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OK, it appears you are correct, and I'm out of touch --- T-mobile no longer charges for tethering (it used to be +$15 or so).

If that's the case then all I have to do is get a "mobile hotspot ready" phone and use the extra lines for whatever.

So this is even dumber than I thought. I cannot put the SIM with 2.5 GB data in an iPad, but I can instead put it in a phone that sits in my pocket and feeds the iPad whatever it wants. Nice.

They do this to prevent people from having unlimited tether.

Let's say... you have a SIM that has unlimited data on it... Well you only get 5 GB to tether... But if you could pop that SIM into a tablet you would be using the data but not via tether.. So now you'd have unlimited data via the tablet... Whereas if it was in your phone you'd have to turn the tether on and they could track it so you only get 5 GB per month. Make sense? :). It's mainly to prevent abuse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois