I'm planning a 1-week visit to Canada (Vancouver, BC) later this summer, and I'm looking into options to be able to use my USA smartphone (HTC One) while I'm there. I currently have AT&T service (GSM), and primarily want data and texting service. I know that AT&T has special monthly add-on options for Canada, but they seem costly for a one week visit. Does anyone know if there are any other options? For example, can I buy a pre-paid or pay-as-you-go SIM card from a local Canada carrier and use it in my HTC One? If so, does my HTC One need to be "unlocked" to do this?

Thanks for your responses. I have a feeling that I probably will need to just not use my HTC One while in Canada, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any good ideas!
    05-12-2013 02:13 PM
    Y s you can you just have to look for the carrier that has the radio bands that the phone works with. And Yu have to see if at&t will unlock your phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-21-2013 02:41 AM
    It really depends on how much you're planning to use the phone. I've got a carrier locked, 100% stock S4 and just got back from Vancouver this morning. While there I roamed on Rogers with my AT&T Sim card. The add on plans are extensive, but I knew I was only going to be using a few minutes of air time and a few texts. Probably will add $10 to my next bill, but that's cheaper than getting an add on plan or pre paid SIM. Just look at the pay per use rates and think about how much you're really going to use it. Oh, and don't forget to disable roaming data.

cgardnervt likes this.
    06-04-2013 11:40 PM
    It really depends on how much you're planning to use the phone. I've got a carrier locked, 100% stock S4 and just got back from Vancouver this morning. While there I roamed on Rogers with my AT&T Sim card. The add on plans are extensive, but I knew I was only going to be using a few minutes of air time and a few texts. Probably will add $10 to my next bill, but that's cheaper than getting an add on plan or pre paid SIM. Just look at the pay per use rates and think about how much you're really going to use it. Oh, and don't forget to disable roaming data.

Litesout is 100% correct! Disable the roaming data. Thats where they will charge you a lot. But if you do use data then get a month's worth of data on a SIM over there. Normally its a lot cheaper. It was when I went to the UK anyways. Unlimited call & text for $15/mo and I added 1gig of data for another $10. So pretty cheap IMO.
    06-05-2013 07:39 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I did some research, and have decided to get a Fido SIM card for $10 and use Pay-As-You-Go vouchers for phone, text, and data service. I really don't expect to use much talk time (only for emergencies), but I do want some local texting with my family members and to have the ability to look up info via the web. I think using this approach is the best and most economical method for a 1 week stay in Canada.
    06-06-2013 06:44 PM