I would really like to switch to T Mobile and leave behind all of Verizon's BS. My only concern is of course, is coverage. I live in Riverside CA and do lots of driving around the IE and the rest of Southern California. I would like to know if anyone knows how the coverage is in these areas.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-07-2013 04:58 PM
    Talking to people in your area is also a good indicator. I will point out that Tmobile signal does poorly in building/home penetration. Just keep that in mind as you look at your options. Its an important decision. I borrowed a phone a bought a month it would not work for me
    06-07-2013 05:56 PM
    Talking to people in your area is also a good indicator. I will point out that Tmobile signal does poorly in building/home penetration. Just keep that in mind as you look at your options. Its an important decision. I borrowed a phone a bought a month it would not work for me
    For home coverage issues it should be noted that Tmobile has a wifi calling app. Unlike other wifi or VOIP solutions, it does use up your regular minutes though. Still a nice option to have however.
    06-07-2013 06:28 PM
    If they work well where you are is a great switch.

Plus you gain the flexibility of a GSM phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    HawaiiD likes this.
    06-07-2013 07:38 PM
    Can T-mobile match Verizon in coverage? Unfortunately, not at the moment. But, check out the coverage maps (be sure to parse data and voice coverage). If it looks like those will work for you, start with a prepaid plan for a month. If everything works out, kick Verizon to the curb and port your number over to T-mobile. If not, oh well, you tried. If you don't have an old GSM compatible phone, you can buy one at a place with a 15 day return policy.
    06-08-2013 11:49 PM
    If they work well where you are is a great switch.

Plus you gain the flexibility of a GSM phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    The op has the i605,which is the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II, which comes factory sim unlocked and will work on tmo or att right out of the box. Tmo phones, if bought under contract or by payment plan, will be locked out of the box. Of course, you could unlock it, but just that it isn't factory sim unlocked like many of Verizon's current 4GLTE phones.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    06-08-2013 11:54 PM
    I would really like to switch to T Mobile and leave behind all of Verizon's BS. My only concern is of course, is coverage. I live in Riverside CA and do lots of driving around the IE and the rest of Southern California. I would like to know if anyone knows how the coverage is in these areas.

As others have said, your best bet is to chat with some people using the T-Mobile network in your area.

My brother is using T-Mobile via Solavei (MVNO) mostly in Upland with regular drives to Long Beach. He has no complaints. Based on how often my niece texts me when she's being driven to all her activities they don't have coverage problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    06-12-2013 01:49 PM
    Don't do it. With all that driving you'll lose out on coverage and voice call quality.

What large company will you not have BS with?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    06-12-2013 01:51 PM

Wouldn't worry about it... I live in El Centro...as remote a location as there is in California and I get acceptable speeds (1.5-6 Mbps DL) there. I have a GS4 and LTE is live in San Diego so on my weekends I get LTE. LTE for Riverside can't be too far out, just do it there is no reason to deal with AT&T or Verizon when there is TMO!

Posted via Android Central App
    06-12-2013 03:41 PM
    Thanks for all the good info everyone. I would ask people in my area how the coverage is but I don't know anyone. Everyone I know either has Verizon or at&t. I'm just gonna try a month with them and keep my Verizon line open. I just had surgery though so I'll be waiting till I'm up and about and able to put the network to the test.

06-18-2013 02:22 AM
    For home coverage issues it should be noted that Tmobile has a wifi calling app. Unlike other wifi or VOIP solutions, it does use up your regular minutes though. Still a nice option to have however.
    However, tmobile new simple plans come with unlimited talk and text. Which would make it moot.
    Also, wife is in Japan and I must say wifi calling is a godsend. No more prepaid phones or sim cards.
    Cannot tell you how my phone bill would be if
    There was no wifi calling with tmobile

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    06-23-2013 05:59 PM
    However, tmobile new simple plans come with unlimited talk and text. Which would make it moot.
    Also, wife is in Japan and wifi calling is a godsend. No more prepaid phones or sim cards.

It's not a moot issue if you are on a prepaid plan. Not all plans that Tmobile sells are postpaid/unlimited. So it's not so simple.
    06-24-2013 04:04 AM
    Not on all phones and not on the Nexus 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Again not all phones do wi-fi calling.

Also, wife is in Japan and I must say wifi calling is a godsend. No more prepaid phones or sim cards.

06-27-2013 02:40 PM
    Not on all phones and not on the Nexus 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Again not all phones do wi-fi calling.
    Well you should get a phone that does then?
    Its not tmobile fault that Google
    Didn't have this feature included
    On the nexus4.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One
    07-01-2013 04:22 PM
    On the nexus4.

I know the s2,s3,s4 Galaxy note 2,htc one, Nokia 521,sony xperia z, blackberry all has this feature.? Maybe more?

The op has a Galaxy note 2.
    If he wanted to come over to T-mobile? Wifi calling would work if he needs it.... just saying

07-01-2013 04:29 PM

Not going to lie that's pretty cool.. That way you don't have to deal with the prepaid stuff.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    07-02-2013 02:06 PM
    start with a prepaid plan for a month. If everything works out, kick Verizon to the curb and port your number over to T-mobile.
    I'm considering doing the switch is well because it seems as though t-mobile would be less costly. I went to their website and it looks like you must use a smartphone for their plans no dumb phones. Hubby has a dumb phone and wants to keep it that way.

Does anyone know can you use a dumb phone on t-mobile?

I thought when you had a prepaid plan that your phone bounced from different towers than if you have a regular plan and that these alternative towers don't work as well . It's also my understanding that the coverage and reception is not as good on the prepaid plans does anyone know if this is true? I like the idea of test driving like this because he travels via 18 wheels from Wisconsin down to Florida and over to Georgia, North Carolina basically south east. We had such a horrendous time with Sprint that we finally had to cancel the contract early and we don't want to wind up with problems like this again.
    07-15-2013 02:15 PM
    Go to T-mobile website and order a sim card - if you have a gsm phone, let him try it for a month - see how it works - PM for more info - bunky
    07-16-2013 09:48 AM
    On the nexus4.

False, it's T-Mobile's fault. Wi-Fi calling doesn't require special hardware, so Google had no say in it. T-Mobile chose not to allow Wi-Fi calling.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    07-16-2013 08:49 PM
    I used to think that also till I actually switched. I can honestly say that's changed I have LTE even in my basement. And good speeds also.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Thinking about switching to T Mobile from Verizon-uploadfromtaptalk1374029256634.jpg  
    07-16-2013 10:47 PM
    It's not a moot issue if you are on a prepaid plan. Not all plans that Tmobile sells are postpaid/unlimited. So it's not so simple.
    I'm prepaid and unlimited btw.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    07-16-2013 10:48 PM