08-14-2013 11:44 AM
27 12
tools
    I have virgin mobile and it's great on data, but I like changing phones(often) and VM really cripples that ability.

I'm going to buy a gsm phone from Newegg, so I can get something compatible with either tmo or att frequency.

I know there's straight talk, net 10, h2o or gosmart.

Anyone I should avoid or that's a great value.

I don't talk much, I mainly text and use data.

Thanks

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-2013 01:38 PM
    I have virgin mobile and it's great on data, but I like changing phones(often) and VM really cripples that ability.

I'm going to buy a gsm phone from Newegg, so I can get something compatible with either tmo or att frequency.

I know there's straight talk, net 10, h2o or gosmart.

Anyone I should avoid or that's a great value.

I don't talk much, I mainly text and use data.

Thanks

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
    How much data do you use per month?
    07-02-2013 02:01 PM
    How much data do you use per month?
    Last time I checked somewhere around 1 gig a month.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-2013 04:41 PM
    I think AT&T Go Phone is by far the best out there for AT&T prepaids now that they changed their pricing. $60/month for unlimited talk, text, and 2GBs high speed data, now with LTE. Unless you're going to go with a T-Mobile MVNO, there's no better deal for GSM prepaid.
    ZachA likes this.
    07-02-2013 05:36 PM
    The best value is T-mobile $30 5GB of data plan, but you only get 100 minutes of talk so most people can't manage with it. Otherwise, it seems like you should stay away from Straight Talk since most customers complain about unpredictable throttling. The problem with choosing one prepaid plan over another, is that one customer might not have any problems, and another will have lots of problems. It is just kind of trial and error. For instance, I use Net10 on AT&T's network (Net10 also has Tmobile sims, but I needed AT&T's coverage), and I've been happy with Net10, but other people complain about getting no data when travelling as well as not being able to MMS message. If I got good Tmobile coverage in my home, I'd probably go with Solovei. Here are a couple websites that might help.
    Updated and Expanded: The Best US Prepaid Data Deals | Prepaid Phone News
    Best no-contract wireless plans for unlocked Android devices | Android and Me
    yfan and zrxoa1 like this.
    07-02-2013 05:47 PM
    That $30 T-Mobile plan is probably the best value if you can make the minutes work. My husband didn't think he talked a lot, and he couldn't make it work.

I think the next best value is Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO.) It's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data unthrottled for 4GB - ~$55 after taxes and fees. They also have a referral program which can effectively lower this rate if you're interested in such things - it's worked out for me. We've been using Solavei since January and are happy with them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei
    07-09-2013 02:58 PM
    I would argue for AIO, the ATT-owned prepaid subsidiary. Right now I pay $65/mo total (all taxes, everything) for unlimited talk, text/MMS and 5 gigs of 4G data. $5 more a month would get me on their 7 gig/mo 4G plan. Plus u can buy a recurring aio gig" for $10/mo. So that would be 8 gigs of 4G (along with unlimited everything else) for $80/mo. Way More than I need so I stick with 5gig plan. Not sure how it compares with other prepaids, but I'm *very* happy with AIO fwiw.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2013 11:50 PM
    I would argue for AIO, the ATT-owned prepaid subsidiary. Right now I pay $65/mo total (all taxes, everything) for unlimited talk, text/MMS and 5 gigs of 4G data. $5 more a month would get me on their 7 gig/mo 4G plan. Plus u can buy a recurring aio gig" for $10/mo. So that would be 8 gigs of 4G (along with unlimited everything else) for $80/mo. Way More than I need so I stick with 5gig plan. Not sure how it compares with other prepaids, but I'm *very* happy with AIO fwiw.

This includes no lte correct?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    07-15-2013 08:10 AM
    This includes no lte correct?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    No, with LTE. I'm on a Galaxy S4 GE and receive LTE service on AIO.

cgardnervt likes this.
    07-15-2013 10:48 AM
    I found this "pay as you go sim with data" wiki to be helpful when comparing gsm carriers in the USA and abroad.
    07-17-2013 09:36 PM
    No, with LTE. I'm on a Galaxy S4 GE and receive LTE service on AIO.

AIO doesn't offer LTE. They cap the speed at 4mbps. It says so right on their web site in the fine print.
    07-21-2013 09:47 PM
    To me it's T-mobile. But it's the 70$ unlimited everything plan. And u get lte at that.

Sent from my T-mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-2013 10:45 PM
    To me it's T-mobile. But it's the 70$ unlimited everything plan. And u get lte at that.

The new AT&T Go Phone plan at $60 with 2gb of data is very competitive with T-Mobile. I do tell people in Chicago to get T-Mobile if they don't travel. But if they travel like me, I suggest AT&T since they have much better coverage and terrific LTE (now offered with GoPhone). They have leveled the playing field a bit with this particular plan.
    07-22-2013 10:02 PM
    I can go thru 2gb in an hour my girl a couple hours my 8yo brother about a day lol. ESPECIALLY with lte.

07-22-2013 10:08 PM
    I can go thru 2gb in an hour my girl a couple hours my 8yo brother about a day lol. ESPECIALLY with lte.

I love how the "exception to the rule" people like to chime in on the topic. You do realize that most people use less than 1GB per month, right? Most people actually own high speed internet at home and many at work.
    Airwolf79 and skafri like this.
    07-27-2013 10:19 AM
    I love how the "exception to the rule" people like to chime in on the topic. You do realize that most people use less than 1GB per month, right? Most people actually own high speed internet at home and many at work.
    So u and everybody u know is MOST PEOPLE Huh lol? Most of us don't have wifi at home or work. Some people can't even get access to home Internet.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-2013 04:28 PM
    So u and everybody u know is MOST PEOPLE Huh lol? Most of us don't have wifi at home or work. Some people can't even get access to home Internet.

Most people use less than 1GB a month. It's fact. YOU are the exception to the rule. It is what it is.
    07-29-2013 12:48 PM
    Me and EVERYBODY I know huh??? The FACT is everything now days is gettin more data intensive. Heck look at Google play music now.

07-29-2013 09:44 PM
    Me and EVERYBODY I know huh??? The FACT is everything now days is gettin more data intensive. Heck look at Google play music now.

Stop being such a cheapskate and buy home internet. People like u are the reason data rates have gotten so expensive in the first place. If u can't afford it, go to Starbucks.
    daryllh likes this.
    07-30-2013 05:34 PM
    Stop being such a cheapskate and buy home internet. People like u are the reason data rates have gotten so expensive in the first place. If u can't afford it, go to Starbucks.
    Exactly! I wasn't quite as direct as you were...lol Mobile data shouldn't be used for home internet. If one does that, one should understand that they are the exception to the rule. Most people use less than 1GB of mobile data in a month. That's a fact. It can be Google'd. :-)
    07-30-2013 05:44 PM

I have Google Play All Access. I don't need an unlimited data plan. What's your point? I work 8-10 hours a day. I watch tv and browse around on a tablet for a few hours. I take my dog for long walks. Then I sleep. I might talk to my wife for awhile too. That's a normal weekday for me. I'm sure it's similar for most working Americans out there. Where one can actually find time to used so many GB's of mobile data is beyond me. The only way this is possible is if you don't have home internet, no job, take 2 classes a day, etc. Most normal working Americans can't sit on their phones for more than 1 or 2 hours a day. Again, you can argue all you want. But most people use less than 1GB of mobile data in a month.
    07-30-2013 05:52 PM

07-30-2013 05:57 PM
    I have Google Play All Access. I don't need an unlimited data plan. What's your point? I work 8-10 hours a day. I watch tv and browse around on a tablet for a few hours. I take my dog for long walks. Then I sleep. I might talk to my wife for awhile too. That's a normal weekday for me. I'm sure it's similar for most working Americans out there. Where one can actually find time to used so many GB's of mobile data is beyond me. The only way this is possible is if you don't have home internet, no job, take 2 classes a day, etc. Most normal working Americans can't sit on their phones for more than 1 or 2 hours a day. Again, you can argue all you want. But most people use less than 1GB of mobile data in a month.
    First off I work labor so my days can get boring without music. I stream on my way to work, at work, leaving work. Like more than a few people I know in CHICAGO Btw. To the point when I'm streaming I'm doing it on the highest quality and speeds and I do albums so I can reach a gb in a good half a day. Smart guy.

08-13-2013 03:11 AM
    Just like i said vzw and att's greed is the reason data rates is up Google that smart guy.

08-13-2013 03:14 AM
    Just like i said vzw and att's greed is the reason data rates is up Google that smart guy.

Its hilarious when people try to insult your intelligence following grammar like "data rates IS up". Next time time try to think of a come back a little sooner than 2 weeks... Smart guy.
    08-13-2013 08:11 PM
27 12