Verizon TEC Insurance Coverage raising it's price by $1.01

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got a notice in the mail from Verizon stating that Total Equipment Coverage (TEC) is going up automatically by $1.01.

What a shame.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
FYI, AFAIK, the basic insurance, which is $5.18 for Android phones, is staying the same. It doesn't come with the extended warranty, but it's the one I've always had. I figure that if my new phone has any defects, it will manifest them in 1 year anyway. I've always just cared mainly for the theft/accident protection.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
FYI, AFAIK, the basic insurance, which is $5.18 for Android phones, is staying the same. It doesn't come with the extended warranty, but it's the one I've always had. I figure that if my new phone has any defects, it will manifest them in 1 year anyway. I've always just cared mainly for the theft/accident protection.

Yes, that's right only extended warranty and TEC went up in price. WPP stayed the same

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's right only extended warranty and TEC went up in price. WPP stayed the same

May be worth switching to the WPP plan then because I rarely keep a phone for 2 years and the only other benefit is overnight shipping for a replacement which isn't necessarily worth it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
May be worth switching to the WPP plan then because I rarely keep a phone for 2 years and the only other benefit is overnight shipping for a replacement which isn't necessarily worth it.

Well, extended warranty kicks in after the first year, so if in a year and a day, your phone had a mechanical failure, then you would be stuck with it.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, extended warranty kicks in after the first year, so if in a year and a day, your phone had a mechanical failure, then you would be stuck with it.
True, but my rational for keeping WPP is that saving $3 per month over 24 months is worth it.
If it craps out after 1 year, you still have the option of filing for insurance at 99.99 deductable.
I am banking on discovering any major defects before the 1 year warranty.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You are not supposed to file for mechanical defects under WPP. That's why you have the TEC option. I have heard people say that they purposely dropped their phone to file through WPP... Which is insurance fraud.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You are not supposed to file for mechanical defects under WPP. That's why you have the TEC option. I have heard people say that they purposely dropped their phone to file through WPP... Which is insurance fraud.

Sorry, I may have been misinformed. I was advised by a Verizon rep that if your phone is out of warranty and has a defect, it is OK to file for the insurance if you have it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
When is this supposed to be effective? I checked my last bill and extended warranty is still $2.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the Extended Warranty went up in price. Only TEC which went into effect months ago.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

sherri

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

Wait. If you "drop" your phone, and have the TEC extended coverage, you can and certainly SHOULD put in an insurance claim. This is covered by Asurion, an outside insurance company. It civets damage, including water damage, cracked screen, loss, and even theft. There is $100 deductible. (Remember, you are paying $7.00 a month for this.) Covers this for phones in and out of warranty.

If you call Verizon or carrier within your 1 year manufactures limited warranty period, they will send you a replacement phone (usually refurbished) at no cost. AS LONG AS IT IS A MANUFACTURER DEFECT, YOU ARE OK.

If, as you stated, people drop their phone and claim it as a warranty issue, once phone is returned, the carrier will charge your account for replacement. Not the $100 deductible. My daughters Stratosphere kept having reboot issues. I have the extended warranty, and TEC. If the reboot issue was due to her dropping it, Asurion would replace it for $100 deductible. Since it wasn't due to dropping it, I called Verizon. Even though it was out of the 1 year manufacturer warranty, I paid extended. They replaced it for free.

Issue was.......when they received my original Stratosphere, it booted without a problem. Did not reboot (in the 20 minutes they "examined" it....). They called me. Wanted to know if I wanted to put it through insurance. Lucky for me, I had taken phone to corporate VZW store, where they documented the random reboots. I told them to look the notes up. They did. Did not charge me for replacement.

Had they seen phone was physically damaged, causing the reboots, I would have been charged.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait. If you "drop" your phone, and have the TEC extended coverage, you can and certainly SHOULD put in an insurance claim. This is covered by Asurion, an outside insurance company. It civets damage, including water damage, cracked screen, loss, and even theft. There is $100 deductible. (Remember, you are paying $7.00 a month for this.) Covers this for phones in and out of warranty.

If you call Verizon or carrier within your 1 year manufactures limited warranty period, they will send you a replacement phone (usually refurbished) at no cost. AS LONG AS IT IS A MANUFACTURER DEFECT, YOU ARE OK.

If, as you stated, people drop their phone and claim it as a warranty issue, once phone is returned, the carrier will charge your account for replacement. Not the $100 deductible. My daughters Stratosphere kept having reboot issues. I have the extended warranty, and TEC. If the reboot issue was due to her dropping it, Asurion would replace it for $100 deductible. Since it wasn't due to dropping it, I called Verizon. Even though it was out of the 1 year manufacturer warranty, I paid extended. They replaced it for free.

Issue was.......when they received my original Stratosphere, it booted without a problem. Did not reboot (in the 20 minutes they "examined" it....). They called me. Wanted to know if I wanted to put it through insurance. Lucky for me, I had taken phone to corporate VZW store, where they documented the random reboots. I told them to look the notes up. They did. Did not charge me for replacement.

Had they seen phone was physically damaged, causing the reboots, I would have been charged.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

TEC includes EW and WPP. If you have TEC, you are covered for everything, mechanical defects and physical damage.

The point I was making was that WPP doesn't cover mechanical defects(assuming that you only have WPP. If you are within 1 year, the manufacturers warranty would cover it, after a year, you are SOL for mechanical defects if you don't have some form of EW. The exception is if you had it replaced near one year under warranty, then you would have 90 days from the date it was replaced to get a replacement. You could in theory continue this ad infinitum, if you continue to have issues with 90 days of the previous replacement.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4