Question from the parents: "do they still work on Wimax?"

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't try to kill me for this one or claim i'm a troll but my parents asked me about Wimax and if Sprint has any plans on doing anything with it. I said probably not since they don't really do anything with 3G (from my knowledge) and they have to worry about LTE. What do you think? Are they going to do anything with the Wimax system or just deal with LTE and making that the same map as 3G?

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
They're going to support WiMax and the devices using it until xx/xx/2015. Afterwards they'll most likely cut it off like Nextel.

As far as they're 3g/lte they're doing network vision. They say everywhere they have service. The roll out is the slowest of all carriers but they're also doing the most changes.

The improvements on the 3g will work on the WiMax devices so they'll still see some improvement.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't try to kill me for this one or claim i'm a troll but my parents asked me about Wimax and if Sprint has any plans on doing anything with it. I said probably not since they don't really do anything with 3G (from my knowledge) and they have to worry about LTE. What do you think? Are they going to do anything with the Wimax system or just deal with LTE and making that the same map as 3G?

The only thing I can think of to add is while the official cut off date is set for 2015, I think unofficially, it will be within the next several months.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of to add is while the official cut off date is set for 2015, I think unofficially, it will be within the next several months.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Ya I hear they are speeding up the phase out of Wimax. I thought I heard 2014 now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ya I hear they are speeding up the phase out of Wimax. I thought I heard 2014 now.

Last I saw on Sprint's site was 2015, and that was only a few months ago. But like I said, I would not be at all surprised that they cut it as quickly as possible.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Last I saw on Sprint's site was 2015, and that was only a few months ago. But like I said, I would not be at all surprised that they cut it as quickly as possible.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

I think the time line changed shortly after SoftBank bought us, but I don't know if it was ever official.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
As WiMaxx was effectively still-born, tell your parents to suck it up and buy a new phone (or pair of phones) and get themselves on LTE. Of course, considering what a hatchet job Sprint seems to have done so far, I'd also tell your parents to educate themselves about their options (physical carriers as well as MVNOs) and make an appropriate decision based on that. There *are* other, better options out there, you know, and frankly GSM carriers which use HSPA or HSPA+ already provide much faster data speeds than anything you or your parents are used to on Sprint.

I know; I used to be a Sprint customer.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Unless there is an immediate need for maintaining the infrastructure, WiMax is most definitely done. I wouldn't say get LTE phones now. Though, they might want to be ready for it once WiMax is gone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mitri360

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If they're going to get an lte device hold off until the tri band devices are released. That way they're future proofed for whatever lte Sprint decides to throw in your area.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If they're going to get an lte device hold off until the tri band devices are released. That way they're future proofed for whatever lte Sprint decides to throw in your area.

With technology, nothing is full proof. That's both a good thing, as well as a bad thing for consumers who can't afford to stay current with evolving technology.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

gotta have it android

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Been trying hard on telling them that. They are as bad as my grandparents!:p but i think i have been getting somewhere with them and are thinking about Tmobile. They have been waiting out since Sprint is now testing LTE in my area and its quickly lighting up(i say quickly since it was 'seen' about 3 days ago)
As WiMaxx was effectively still-born, tell your parents to suck it up and buy a new phone (or pair of phones) and get themselves on LTE. Of course, considering what a hatchet job Sprint seems to have done so far, I'd also tell your parents to educate themselves about their options (physical carriers as well as MVNOs) and make an appropriate decision based on that. There *are* other, better options out there, you know, and frankly GSM carriers which use HSPA or HSPA+ already provide much faster data speeds than anything you or your parents are used to on Sprint.

I know; I used to be a Sprint customer.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Been trying hard on telling them that. They are as bad as my grandparents!:p but i think i have been getting somewhere with them and are thinking about Tmobile. They have been waiting out since Sprint is now testing LTE in my area and its quickly lighting up(i say quickly since it was 'seen' about 3 days ago)

I am with Sprint and my speeds get better every week. And they haven't officially launched it here yet.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
A few bad physical locations notwithstanding (and find me a cell network where this isn't the case) I really couldn't complain about Sprint's network coverage too much. It happened to be that my home has some random and shifting dead spots in it, but whatever. Their customer service was itself fine, both in-person and over the phone.

But two things really soured me on Sprint: their high rates for service, and their handling of 4G service.

I've switched to T-Mo, and most of the time use GrooVeIP for VOIP with my Google Voice account. It works reasonably well, and saves me $50/mo in plan price differences. So far that has fully paid for my ETF and my phone itself, so I can't imagine for just that reason alone not having switched.

The other thing, and this is more philosophical in nature, is that I'm done with CDMA because of its vendor lock-in nature. I'm also done with ever being on a contract.

So as far as WiMax is concerned, as I and other have already beaten to death in this thread, there is no longer a point in considering it, any more than there's a point to HD-DVD or Betamax.