Verizon BS $30 "upgrade fee"

Fwafwow

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Just spent most of lunch break attempting to buy the mew MAXX. Surprise! VZW now charges a $30 "upgrade fee" that they haven't charged in the ~13 years I've been with them (and a predecessor company). Yes, this is in addition to the $299 and signing another 2 year contract. The sales woman couldn't get her manager to waive it, and said the fee is necessary for them to "activate your phone, help you transfer your data and give you free training". Ummmm, thanks, but other than activating the phone (by pushing a button on your ipad), I don't want or need that help.

Any recommendations for an alternate carrier for 4 lines with high minutes and data?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe Sprint and AT&T charge a $36.00 upgrade fee. I think T-Mobile may be the only carrier that fits not charge it now, but they didn't subsidize devices now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Let the people who want training pay for it. You can activate your phone on their website by yourself. And if you have a computer you should be able to figure out how to transfer your files by yourself. If you can't figure these things out on your own you probably have a friend or relative who can help you with it. If you still can't get it done by yourself then take your phone to the Verizon and pay them to do it. So why are we paying an activation fee to give all the stuff away for free? Besides that if we're paying $30 where's the free part?
Deb's Note 10.1

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sadly most carriers do this. Don't know if there is really a way around it.. Maybe ordering online but once you activate it they may charge you anyway.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon added the upgrade fee I believe sometime last year.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Any recommendations for an alternate carrier for 4 lines with high minutes and data?

AT&T and Sprint have an upgrade fee (I believe it's $36). Not sure what T-Mobile does now that they've switched up their plans - there's used to be $18 or $24.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow. Just spent most of lunch break attempting to buy the mew MAXX. Surprise! VZW now charges a $30 "upgrade fee" that they haven't charged in the ~13 years I've been with them (and a predecessor company). Yes, this is in addition to the $299 and signing another 2 year contract. The sales woman couldn't get her manager to waive it, and said the fee is necessary for them to "activate your phone, help you transfer your data and give you free training". Ummmm, thanks, but other than activating the phone (by pushing a button on your ipad), I don't want or need that help.

Very simple to get rid of the fee...I did it a couple of month ago. Order online an then don't fully complete the order. Call VZW CSR and say hey you are charging me $30 upgrade and I'm not under contract, that you just checked with AT&T and if you switch over to them, as a new customer they will waive the fee; so I'd like to order the phone from you (VZW) but since the price of the phone is the same BUT AT&T is not charging new customers the $30 Please disconnect my service & I'll buy the same phone from AT&T and have them port the number over, took about 30secs and she waived it :D

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can buy at third party to save some money. For example, you can get the maxx for $199 from Wirefly.

If you are patient and with some luck , you may be able to get a better deal, for example I got my note II for $37 back in February. Even though I had to pay the additional fee, adding $30 puts me at $67. Which is still way cheaper than the $300 Verizon wanted, assuming that the fee was waived.

Now, if you want to get the phone at release, then unfortunately, you will probably have to pay more

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not new but still irritating. God forbid they advertise the true cost to the customer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

I warned my friends and family when Verizon made the upgrade fee $30. Most have been able to get this fee waived.

Posted via Android Central App

Fwafwow

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Very simple to get rid of the fee...I did it a couple of month ago. Order online an then don't fully complete the order. Call VZW CSR and say hey you are charging me $30 upgrade and I'm not under contract, that you just checked with AT&T and if you switch over to them, as a new customer they will waive the fee; so I'd like to order the phone from you (VZW) but since the price of the phone is the same BUT AT&T is not charging new customers the $30 Please disconnect my service & I'll buy the same phone from AT&T and have them port the number over, took about 30secs and she waived it :D

Yep, with some battling on the phone, customer service reluctantly agreed to waive this once, but cautioned that my other 3 lines will be subject to the fee if we upgrade. I get that all companies have to make money - heck, I work at a bank and we charge fees, but I think it is analogous to a few banks which recently charged fees just to have an account. Figure out your profit and charge it - but don't insult me by adding some fee and masking it with BS services that no one needs or wants. It's like baggage fees on airlines - if you do enough business, you should be exempt (like Delta medallion program).

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Verizon since before they were Verizon, and there has always been a upgrade fee. They used to have specials where they waived the fee. And if you try talking with customer service sometimes you can get them to wave the fee. Just request the first Rep's supervisors supervisor. Usually when you make a request like that they will jump through hoops for you. A few years ago I got a free phone a $50 rebate and the activation fee waived. Just because I told the supervisor att was going to give me things so I would sign up.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

If you get a rep who will call your bluff and cut your line off, you'll lose that number forever.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you haggle the rep enough this fee could be waived. Most third party retailers offer to waive this fee, in addition to paying less for the device, if you purchase through them. Same phone, same plan but cheaper and sometimes accessories thrown in.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
If you get a rep who will call your bluff and cut your line off, you'll lose that number forever.
Then you ask to speak to their supervisor, or say never mind; has never happened and in the 15+ years I've been with VZW I haven't paid no stinking upgrade fee. They are not willing to lose a customer of many years over a BS fee.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Just spent most of lunch break attempting to buy the mew MAXX. Surprise! VZW now charges a $30 "upgrade fee" that they haven't charged in the ~13 years I've been with them

It's been charged for well over a year now. I'll be happy to recommend another carrier that charges more for their upgrade fee. This fee is becoming an industry standard

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It's been charged for well over a year now. I'll be happy to recommend another carrier that charges more for their upgrade fee. This fee is becoming an industry standard

WOW! that was a real helpful answer.......

@Fwafwow do the upgrade online and then call in and ***** if you been with them for awhile, they'll waive the fee.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463