Net10 Question

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited plan and I would love to get back on a GSM network for the flexibility aspect of switching phones. I'm currently using an iPhone 5 trying to get the 5S but also might get the Nexus 5 later down the road just to be able to swap between iOS and Android.

I'm thinking of going with Net 10 now that they removed the 1.5GB cap or Aio Wireless. Question about Net10 is if any of you guys using it experience problems with streaming music or video. I know I saw in the ToS that streaming is prohibited but I'm curious if any users do stream and if you've experienced any throttling or disconnection of service. Cause I use iTunes Match and listen to iTunes Radio and don't want to leave Verizon and then get my data throttled or lose service altogether so any insight would be awesome!

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited plan and I would love to get back on a GSM network for the flexibility aspect of switching phones. I'm currently using an iPhone 5 trying to get the 5S but also might get the Nexus 5 later down the road just to be able to swap between iOS and Android.

I'm thinking of going with Net 10 now that they removed the 1.5GB cap or Aio Wireless. Question about Net10 is if any of you guys using it experience problems with streaming music or video. I know I saw in the ToS that streaming is prohibited but I'm curious if any users do stream and if you've experienced any throttling or disconnection of service. Cause I use iTunes Match and listen to iTunes Radio and don't want to leave Verizon and then get my data throttled or lose service altogether so any insight would be awesome!

I've used Net10 without problems since last spring on my Nexus 4. I am very happy with them. 95 percent of the time I can stream Google Play music or stream YouTube without problems. Indoor coverage is great. Data speeds seem to have picked recently and I average about 5 Mbps. Doesn't really get any faster than that. When I first started with them it was more like 1-2 Mbps, sometimes dipping under 1 Mbps, but even then YouTube worked fine. Customer support is really zero and you should expect to troubleshoot your problems yourself. Net10's forums are not very helpful because the company has a way of censoring posts and preventing open discussion. Telephone support also takes forever to get a live person and even then they might not be able to help.

I'm with them on AT&T's network. I've never much more than 1 GB of data any given month so I've never been throttled. I think the way it works is that if you use more than 150 MB in a day you may get throttled. Supposedly they lifted the 1.5 GB cap, but I'd be suspicious if a customer could really get much more unthrottled data than that. People's biggest complaint with Net10 over in the Nexus 4 Forum is they have trouble with getting the correct APN settings so they can get data as well as getting MMS to work. Some people seem to never be able to get it to work. I don't MMS so I don't know about that, but I've never had a problem with the default APN settings on the Net10 website. People have also reported serious problem getting data while travelling, but I must be one of the lucky ones because I've had no problems with data when I'm on the road or out of state.

Keep in mind you'd be moving to a discounted service and its a big jump from Verizon. You are going from a premium carrier to a do-it-yourself-discount carrier and often times you get what you pay for. It is only $45 a month if you auto-pay, and I think it is the best deal out there, but you might want to test it for a month before you jettison Verizon to make sure all your phones work on it and voice and data connections meet your needs. You'll also want to make sure that whatever phones you are using and swapping out all have the same sized sim card.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I've used Net10 without problems since last spring on my Nexus 4. I am very happy with them. 95 percent of the time I can stream Google Play music or stream YouTube without problems. Indoor coverage is great. Data speeds seem to have picked recently and I average about 5 Mbps. Doesn't really get any faster than that. When I first started with them it was more like 1-2 Mbps, sometimes dipping under 1 Mbps, but even then YouTube worked fine. Customer support is really zero and you should expect to troubleshoot your problems yourself. Net10's forums are not very helpful because the company has a way of censoring posts and preventing open discussion. Telephone support also takes forever to get a live person and even then they might not be able to help.

I'm with them on AT&T's network. I've never much more than 1 GB of data any given month so I've never been throttled. I think the way it works is that if you use more than 150 MB in a day you may get throttled. Supposedly they lifted the 1.5 GB cap, but I'd be suspicious if a customer could really get much more unthrottled data than that. People's biggest complaint with Net10 over in the Nexus 4 Forum is they have trouble with getting the correct APN settings so they can get data as well as getting MMS to work. Some people seem to never be able to get it to work. I don't MMS so I don't know about that, but I've never had a problem with the default APN settings on the Net10 website. People have also reported serious problem getting data while travelling, but I must be one of the lucky ones because I've had no problems with data when I'm on the road or out of state.

Keep in mind you'd be moving to a discounted service and its a big jump from Verizon. You are going from a premium carrier to a do-it-yourself-discount carrier and often times you get what you pay for. It is only $45 a month if you auto-pay, and I think it is the best deal out there, but you might want to test it for a month before you jettison Verizon to make sure all your phones work on it and voice and data connections meet your needs. You'll also want to make sure that whatever phones you are using and swapping out all have the same sized sim card.

Awesome, thanks for the great post!

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

stljedi

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
If its helps I had Straight Talk with the same TOS after they determined my iHeart radio streaming along with Waze reached over 2 gb they cut off data access completely and said it would be restored next month. The next month came and they couldn't restore the data service and had to mail out a new StraightTalk T-Mobile sim.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante