And Then There Were 3? Sprint Said To Be Prepping T-Mobile Bid..

Yung_Dilla

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Big news in the wireless space: The Wall Street Journal reports Sprint is working on a bid to purchase rival T-Mobile. Combining the two smaller carriers to compete with mammoth leaders Verizon Wireless and AT&T T -0.12% would whittle down US wireless competition to just three major networks.

The unanswered question is whether such a bid would make it past regulators. Two years ago, the Justice Department refused to let AT&T?s $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile go through.

According to The Wall Street Journal, Sprint?s interest in T-Mobile is driven by Masayoshi Son, the billionaire Japanese founder and CEO of Softbank, which owns more than 80% of Sprint stock. Son has been acquisition-happy recently. In addition to buying Sprint, Softbank made a $1.26 billion investment in mobile phone distributor Brightstar and grabbed a majority stake in Finnish game maker Supercell for $1.5 billion. Son?s net worth is over $17 billion, based largely on the 180% rise in Softbank?s stock since the beginning of 2013.

Meanwhile, Deustche Telekom owns about 67% of T-Mobile stock. It?s unclear if they would be interested in an unsolicited bid.

T-Mobile?s current market cap is just over $20 billion. The stock leapt up 8% just before close Friday on the news of a possible deal. Investors were also happy to see Sprint thinking about making an offer. Sprint stock closed up 3.44%. AT&T and Verizon were down slightly.

And Then There Were 3? Sprint Said To Be Prepping T-Mobile Bid - Forbes

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't that just tick off all the people who left Sprint for the greener grass of T-Mobile! ;-)

But seriously, how do you reconcile the different technologies? This would be a many, many year project. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see Sprint move away from CDMA.

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just left sprint for T-Mobile not because of slow speeds but due to bad billing services.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly what i wanna know how can they have cdma/gsm running on one network together?

Excuse me but isn't or was metro pcs cdma correct? And sprint been had plans to abandon cdma and the n5 and the other gsm capable Sprint phones are the course run.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't that just tick off all the people who left Sprint for the greener grass of T-Mobile! ;-)

But seriously, how do you reconcile the different technologies? This would be a many, many year project. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see Sprint move away from CDMA.
Yes it would! I think the only reason Sprint would do this is because they consider T-Mobile a threat. T-Mobile should counter with a bid to buy out Sprint, that would be great.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile should counter with a bid to buy out Sprint, that would be great.

Never gonna happen.
An offer maybe, but Softbank did just drop a ****-load of cash just to have themselves bought out someone else.
It sounds like the whole thing may just be an ugly rumor.
But, we will wait and see what transpires.
Just my $.03 (inflation)

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Why would it tick us off? I didn't leave due to the name Sprint.. I left due to dial up speeds.

If Sprint bought it out I'd still have my network here that isn't dial up. So.. Yeah I wouldn't care at all :).

Even though I left Sprint I've always said I'll support them. Sprint and T-Moblie are the only ones brining unlimited data to our smartphones so we can use them as smartphones and I love that. I want them both to be successful to rival the bigger guys who like to put stupid caps in place.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Never gonna happen.
An offer maybe, but Softbank did just drop a ****-load of cash just to have themselves bought out someone else.
It sounds like the whole thing may just be an ugly rumor.
But, we will wait and see what transpires.
Just my $.03 (inflation)

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

I know they wouldnt actually do that and I doubt T-Mobile would actually make a serious bid on them anyway. They're too preoccupied trying to build up the business and possibly separate themselves from Deutch Telecom.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the Fed's allowing this myself.....What Sprint/Softbank should be working to buy up the rest of USCC, C-Spire, and NTelos (I DO see the FCC allowing these) to give them coverage where they need it. T-MO doesn't fill in any of Sprint holes, it just brings more subs under the umbrella.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Tmo and Sprint merger would be a bad idea IMO. Tmo is making good ground and Sprint is too. Let them stay as they are. Choices are all good!

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Actually... Both TMOBILE and Sprint (After Network Vision Upgrade) Will both have VoLTE Networks capable of hosting all DATA AND VOICE on the LTE SPECTRUM...

This means SPRINT Would just DECOMMISSION its CDMA NETWORK, Convert the Spectrum to LTE.... Only downside to all of this is Sprint is currently using 3 BANDS of Frequency... 2 LTE and 1 CDMA... TMobile will be using 1 after network upgrades....

Also, the FCC has always said they would back a SPRINT/TMOBILE Merger, because it wouldn't put them as a DOMINATE carrier....

Also... Yes... SPRINT Should just be swallowing up the rest of USCC... Although, Sprint GOBBLED up all of USCELLULARS MARKETS that didn't have 4G LTE... (Northern Illinois)... Just More work for them

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante