Which Phone to get and Jump Switching

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I know there are a lot of phone comparisons out there and threads about the jump program. I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this but after thinking about it more it involves T-Mobile more. So I've been working really hard lately, got a job, and I'm pretty much moved in to where I am now. So now finally time get a real phone and keep my alcatel onetouch fierce as a back up. 2013 was an amazing year for phones and it's quite possible now is the worst time to buy a new phone because of new ones coming out over this year or the best time with all the bugs worked out.

I'm conflicted between the Moto X, Nexus 5, Sony Xperia Z, and the Galaxy Note 3. The other real dilemma I'm having is the jump program. After talking to representatives at t-mobile I can see myself getting a nexus 5 and 6 months later getting a note 3, xperia z or whatever comes out later. Being able to play with and experience different variations of androids and devices is incredible and I'm thankful t-mobile allows that. But than there's the thing about Moto X being sold only through moto maker, no jump program, but you can finance through motorola but you don't get wi-fi calling. Honestly, I think as long as google updates Moto X it can last a long time. Unless they come out with a Moto X2. But it seems motorola is doing everything to get the Moto X in people's hands even zero down like t-mobile does.

So the big question is would it be better to get a nexus 5 (would be first nexus device ever!) and if I like it keep it or if I want another phone just keep switching phones ever 6 months or a year. Or, finance the moto x and get a customized version or not and hang on that for as long as I can. Even though I know the custom versions will be harder to sell down the road. But the panda and ice edition is pretty epic.

I've had experience with samsung with the epic 4g touch (sprint) which was a bad experience. However, I admire the Note 3 and think it's an amazing phone and the only real con is I'm sure samsung will give it 4.4 when 5.0 is out. I hate samsung's update schedule. Never had a Sony phone but the waterproof Xperia Z with the bravia engine and big screen looks amazing but no flash. Nexus 5 looks like a beast and looks beautiful and has the wireless charging and the better screen but I hear the battery is sort of disappointing. The Moto X has the X8 Processor with active notifications, always listening, and the shape and look of the phone is beautiful. It doesn't support MHL and miracast has to be used.

I'm thinking pretty strongly about the Moto X and getting a custom Panda Ice version but it would be different without the wi-fi calling, not jump eligible, and it will be up to me to sell it down the road. I'm not good at selling phones which is also why I like the idea of the jump program.

Any advice is appreciated :)

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I would not get the Moto x even though it's a great phone. I would get the Nexus 5 and then jump to the note 3. You'll get more money for note 3 if you decide you want the nexus 5 back. My good friend has had all 3. He got the Moto x then the note 3 and now the nexus 5. He said he loved the note 3 and it's features but the nexus 5 is also very smooth but he loved the simplicity of the nexus 5 and the updates from google are a plus. I say try nexus 5 first then note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I would not get the Moto x even though it's a great phone. I would get the Nexus 5 and then jump to the note 3. You'll get more money for note 3 if you decide you want the nexus 5 back. My good friend has had all 3. He got the Moto x then the note 3 and now the nexus 5. He said he loved the note 3 and it's features but the nexus 5 is also very smooth but he loved the simplicity of the nexus 5 and the updates from google are a plus. I say try nexus 5 first then note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Thank you for the advice I appreciate that. You are correct I will get more money back for the Note 3. All 3 of them are really their own devices in their own way. Well I've done more research and learned that the nexus 5 and moto x do not have wi-fi calling. Kind of a bummer. Nexus 5 also has photosphere but Moto X doesn't. The galaxy note 3 does have photosphere and wi-fi calling. Really, if I were to finance a moto x it would be no different than doing it through t-mobile since 6 months is probably all I'll get and then in 6 months if someone else comes out I can sell my moto x or keep it. I wish the devices weren't so similar. Having a Moto X is probably close to having a nexus too. They did get the kit kat update before the other nexus (except 5). I'll think about this more and do a little more research. But right now it's between the moto x and the nexus 5.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Thing about the note is that if you buy it from t mobile it will have all the TM bloatware on it. The nexus 5 and moto x t-mobile variant are unlocked meaning no bloat on the nexus 5 and only the motorola stuff on the moto x. I think the network and cell reception using a moto x should prove no need for wifi calling. YMMV

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thing about the note is that if you buy it from t mobile it will have all the TM bloatware on it. The nexus 5 and moto x t-mobile variant are unlocked meaning no bloat on the nexus 5 and only the motorola stuff on the moto x. I think the network and cell reception using a moto x should prove no need for wifi calling. YMMV

This is true. Although I don't believe all t-mobile bloatware is bad. I kinda liked the t-mobile tv during the free trial. There are some people who will not buy a phone if it doesn't have wi-fi calling and that's technically bloatware. I can count 4 t-mobile apps on my phone. No more than 4 unless you count the widgets. But I like some of them. You are right and I've technically never had an unlocked bloatware free phone so it would be an experience. Where I work there's no reception for t-mobile but I use wi-fi all the time to make calls so the wi-fi calling is very useful. But than again there is always grooveip.

I did some searching on custom moto x and found a forum where there are tons of pictures posted of them. Some of them look amazing and some are meh. But it seems the lighter colors are slippery and the dark colors are slip resistant. Also, the moto maker pictures and the phones look quite different. I've heard that some people have gone to best buy or at&t to look at the different colors and see which ones look best. So monday, I'll go to t-mobile, best buy, at&t, and other places and get a feel for the moto x (never held one) and the customization and I'll also check out the nexus 5 and hold it and play around with it and see if I like it better. I'll look at the Note 3 and the Xperia Z too. That way I can decide which is the best phone for me. Appreciate the advice.

tcapote

Geek Freak
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Note 3 from T-Mobile, VERY happy with it (w/Jump). I also bought the Moto X, unlocked, from Moto-Maker with the $150 off deal. Both are excellent phones, I really like the active display of the Moto X, signal strength seems to be a bit better on the Moto X. I like both, for different reasons. I have a home VoIP service, so I have setup Zoiper with my SIP credentials and have WiFi Calling (in a way) on the Moto X. It's a hard choice, I don't think you can make a mistake!