Verizon: contract ending - downgrading my plan and other questions

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

My contract with VZW ends on the 15th, hubby on the 19th. We'd like to let it run out and not be under contract at least for awhile. Neither one of us needs a new phone. I was getting hyped about going with T-Mobile (for me) but when I called them an hour ago I learned that in my area I'd only get 2G service not 4G-anything. :( Not going that route. Hubby *has* to stay with VZW because he needs their coverage with his job.

I need to cut some cost, so my question(s) are:

1. Does my contract run out the moment the calendar turns over to the 15th or do I have to get thru the entire 15th before it's done?

2. Currently I have 4G plan, hubby has a dumb phone (NOT getting a smartphone). If I drop my data to 2G today or tomorrow is that going to kick me into a new contract?

3. IF I recall correctly, after 6 mos of being off contract, we then become new customers again if we go back under contract which means we would qualify for any new customer deals after that time. Yes? No?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: contract ending - downgrading my plan and other questions

Hi,

My contract with VZW ends on the 15th, hubby on the 19th. We'd like to let it run out and not be under contract at least for awhile. Neither one of us needs a new phone. I was getting hyped about going with T-Mobile (for me) but when I called them an hour ago I learned that in my area I'd only get 2G service not 4G-anything. :( Not going that route. Hubby *has* to stay with VZW because he needs their coverage with his job.

I need to cut some cost, so my question(s) are:

1. Does my contract run out the moment the calendar turns over to the 15th or do I have to get thru the entire 15th before it's done?

2. Currently I have 4G plan, hubby has a dumb phone (NOT getting a smartphone). If I drop my data to 2G today or tomorrow is that going to kick me into a new contract?

3. IF I recall correctly, after 6 mos of being off contract, we then become new customers again if we go back under contract which means we would qualify for any new customer deals after that time. Yes? No?

Thanks!

1. As I always understood it, your contract would expire at 12:01 am on the 16th.
2. I think that may require a new contract.
3. Unsure.

Another option would be have you looked into something like Net 10? I think you can take your number and become a prepaid customer. NET10 Wireless

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

2. You can change data plan from 4gb to 2gb anytime even on contract, it would not affect contract end date, regardless of on or off contract.

3. No. If you currently have Verizon, even off contract for any period of time, you would be considered a current customer. Not that this necessarily is a bad thing. I picked up the note 3 for $90 on upgrade on release day. For new customers, it would have been $210.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I'll check on Net10. I finally got sick of all this plan changing and phone buying or not buying and just dropped me to 2GB yesterday. I can be so bad at making decisions sometimes. If the Note 3 comes down in price and I have money I can afford to part with to soothe any residual phone lust I might spring for it at that point. Right now $249 at Wirefly and my wallet cringes when I even so much as think about buying. I have to get better at curbing my gadget lust anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

No 6 months period. Once your contract expires, your still a customer, your just not under contract and can leave without penalty.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I was more curious how long you have to be off contract if you want to go back to Verizon and be a new customer to take advantage of a new customer deals and pricing.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I don't know how much you are paying now, but I know you have been a loyal VZW customer and you will be out of contract. Have you considered asking them if you could have the $60 loyalty plan for 2GB data, unlimited talk and text on your line? I also think they have a $35 loyalty plan for basic phones, though I am not sure what is included in the plan. $95 before tax for 2 lines on VZW seems pretty affordable. Heck, maybe your hubby would even want to get a smartphone too. $120 before tax is still pretty good.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just downgraded my SE plan to 2G from 4G. It was about the same $ as the other options.

So you are paying $130 per month. Why not move to the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data for you and $35 loyalty unlimited talk text basic phone plan for him? Total would be $95

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No problem, at least that's what they told me. Who knows what they'll tell the next person, heh?

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I had a 5 or 6 GB plan ( don't remember which), and dropped to 4 when I moved to a house that has wireless. It did not require me to extend my contract. I am monitoring my usage, and will drop again if I need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair