T-Mobile changing Jump so that you can Jump anytime (must pay off half of phone)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
JUMP! changing to include tablets, unlimited upgrades and no 6-month wait from Feb. 23 | TmoNewsTmoNews

No more 6 month (180 days) waiting period
No limits on how often customers can upgrade
Customers can JUMP! whenever they want ? trade in an eligible device and receive full credit for all remaining payments on that device, up to half of the phone?s original cost
Expansion to Tablets
We?re yet to see if this will have any major affect on sales or the number of times customers decide to JUMP! One huge positive is that it?s taking away any criticism that JUMP! may have received from skeptics. One point that seems slightly unclear is the third one. I circled back with our source and got the following information:

Current customers with the original JUMP! feature will be grandfathered in and will still be able to upgrade before paying off half of the device, as long as they?ve had JUMP! for 6 months or more.
New customers adding JUMP! will be able to upgrade whenever they like, as long as they trade-in their current phone and 50% of the phone cost is paid by doing so. At least, that?s how we understand it. (You might have to pay something towards paying off the EIP yourself if your phone isn?t the right value. Again: I think. Not 100% on that). So, when they say ?T-Mobile will pay off the remaining EIP balance on your device?, they are really saying ?We?ll pay off the remaining balance, as long as the remaining balance is not more than 50% of the original purchase price.?

Just for price comparison, a note 3 would be $39.50/mo with jump based on full retail, or $237 after 6 months currently . On the new plan, you would be paying $354.

However if you do a one year cycle, it becomes $474 for the old plan, still $354 on the new plan.

Note, I am assuming no $10/mo fee on the new plan like with the Verizon and AT&T plan in the calculation.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Tmobile changing Jump so that you can Jump anytime (must pay off half of phone)

Ha this is great for those with not so good credit & bad for those with A+ credit.
On sign up I qualified for zero down on LG G2 but decided to pay 200.00 , Doing so works out great for my upcoming LG G3 or GS5 purchase in coming months.
From that point I will zero down then yearly jump

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tmobile changing Jump so that you can Jump anytime (must pay off half of phone)

Correction, you still must pay the $10 jump fee. Imo, This makes it not very good.

http://www.t-mobile.com/phone-upgrade.html

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Correction, you still must pay the $10 jump fee. Imo, This makes it not very good.

Don't forget that still includes insurance. AT&T and Verizon doe not include that I'm the upgrade programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okris27

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Still better than AT&T and Verizon. Jump includes insurance as well.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Don't forget that still includes insurance. AT&T and Verizon doe not include that I'm the upgrade programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least for verizon you can add insurance for $5/mo. Which is cheaper than the $10 jump fee. Granted Verizon is more expensive for most people, just talking about this specific fee.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Still better than AT&T and Verizon. Jump includes insurance as well.

Other than allowing anytime upgrades vs one month minimum, How is it better than Verizon?

Verizon has the insurance option at $5/mo if so desired,but not everyone wants insurance

Okris27

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Other than allowing anytime upgrades vs one month minimum, How is it better than Verizon?

Verizon has the insurance option at $5/mo if so desired,but not everyone wants insurance

Where are you getting 5 dollars a month? I just searched the Web and found that total equipment coverage for Verizon is 8 dollars a month per device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Where are you getting 5 dollars a month? I just searched the Web and found that total equipment coverage for Verizon is 8 dollars a month per device.

Insurance on Verizon is covered through asurion wireless phone protection, which is $5.18 per month to be exact.

Extended warranty is $3m/mo

TEC is a combination of asurion WPP and extended warranty and is $8. If you plan to upgrade in a year or less, then no reason to get extended warranty since you are covered under the standard warranty. I am assuming that a majority of those on jump are upgrading on a year cycle or less. If you plan to go to 2 years then jump doesn't make much sense.

http://m-support.verizonwireless.co...lling_features|equipment_protection.tp_2.html

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I missed them changing JUMP and upping the prices. It doesn't look so good to me, unless your the type who buys insurance anyway. I'd much rather just buy and sell on Swappa. Those who got grandfathered on the original -- $10 a month for 6 months and trade regardless of balance -- are getting a great deal

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion this is frigging awesome, now if I want I can trade in my phone the day the newest model or other models come out

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion this is frigging awesome, now if I want I can trade in my phone the day the newest model or other models come out

I don't see the value in paying so much since you have to pay off at least half the value to trade up. Unless I'm misunderstanding how JUMP works it looks to me like if you held the Note 3 for only 3 months and wanted to trade up it'd cost you $350 in phone payments alone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the value in paying so much since you have to pay off at least half the value to trade up. Unless I'm misunderstanding how JUMP works it looks to me like if you held the Note 3 for only 3 months and wanted to trade up it'd cost you $350 in phone payments alone.

It would cost you half the phone price plus $10/mo jump fee/insurance

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the grandfathered plan so I'm switching every 6 months

That's excellent. You really have a good deal. Since phones now are $0 down do grandfathered customers get a new phone for $0 even if their balance is less than 1/2 paid off?

I think what changed, and why T-mobile now requires to pay at least 1/2, is that T-Mobile started selling all their phones $0 down. If I'm recalling correctly, when JUMP started last year the latest and greatest models required a sizable down payment. Combine the down payment -- maybe $199 for the Note 3 -- with 6 monthly payments and you probably paid off 1/2 your phone.

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
That's excellent. You really have a good deal. Since phones now are $0 down do grandfathered customers get a new phone for $0 even if their balance is less than 1/2 paid off?

I think what changed, and why T-mobile now requires to pay at least 1/2, is that T-Mobile started selling all their phones $0 down. If I'm recalling correctly, when JUMP started last year the latest and greatest models required a sizable down payment. Combine the down payment -- maybe $199 for the Note 3 -- with 6 monthly payments and you probably paid off 1/2 your phone.

Yeah that's true

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
How specifically does JUMP work? I'm eligible for it now as well but obviously haven't used it before. Do you ever get to have both phones at the same time so you can transfer information, or do you literally go in the store with the old phone and come out with the new? Also, can you put down more to lower the payments?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How specifically does JUMP work? I'm eligible for it now as well but obviously haven't used it before. Do you ever get to have both phones at the same time so you can transfer information, or do you literally go in the store with the old phone and come out with the new? Also, can you put down more to lower the payments?

1. You must have the device you're trading in be half way paid off (or more).

2. You don't get both. You walk in, they will help transfer information, and walk out with the new device.

3. Yes you can put down as much as you want.. The more down you put.. The lower the monthly cost goes.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
1. You must have the device you're trading in be half way paid off (or more).

2. You don't get both. You walk in, they will help transfer information, and walk out with the new device.

3. Yes you can put down as much as you want.. The more down you put.. The lower the monthly cost goes.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
Thanks, that clears up some confusion. I'm on the older JUMP plan so I don't need to wait until half of the device is paid off, which is nice. Do you know if you can order the phone online and then trade in your new one in the store?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

It is better the Verizon/AT&T program since A) your paying a Down payment and paying monthly for the phone your buying anyways so there is only a $10 dollar increase on your bill and that's it. On AT&T if your going to use AT&T Next on the older plans you don't save any money buying it on AT&T next vs subsidy since your bill doesn't get lowered. On Verizon and AT&T mobile share plans you save between $15-$25 dollars a month on your plan with the next or Edge but again your now paying For the Edge/Next payment plan ( around 20-30 for the newest phones and is $28 for the 18 month option for the Galaxy note 3 just for an example on AT&T next) The only plans that is logical for me is unlimited Data on T-mobile which is $50 + $30 and with the phone payment plan ($29 for 24 months for the note 3 ) + Edge that is $10 is all together around $120. Now to get all that on AT&T ( and Verizon is $10 more) But with a reasonable Data cap of 4GB is $123 without mobile insurance which to make it on par with T-mobile makes it $133 a month ( Verizon is $144 a month). Even without insurance you Save about 10-15 dollars a month buying T-mobile vs Verizon or AT&T and you get truly unlimited data and 5GB tethering compared to 4GB data and tethering with AT&T or Verizon

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis