How much will the upgrade cost be for phones like the LG G3 and the HTC One 2 when they release?

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a Galaxy S3 that is giving my lots of problems (camera/flash doesn't work, very short battery life, my microphone quality is apparently terrible) so I think it's time for an upgrade soon, and thankfully I have an upgrade on my line. I was looking at getting the LG G2 for $100 at Verizon. But with the new big name smartphones around the corner, I wanted to get an idea if it's worth the wait. Does anyone know usually what price Verizon charges for the upgrade cost of their newest top of the line smart phones? I think $100 is a good deal for the G2, especially if they will charge $250 or $300 for the newer phones. Unless the phones are substantially better than their previous models.

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
S4,one,and g2 were $200 on release. So I suspect that the g3 and one 2 would be the same for the base model

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
New Releases are almost always $200 plus (probably for 16 GB versions of the phone with 32 GB versions $50-100 more. The G2 has been on sale various times for $49 and is certainly still on par with the new One and the S5 - they are going with the Snapdragon 801 which at 2.5 GHz is only slightly better than the G2's 800 @ 2.26 GHz. I have a G2 and it is still an excellent phone 8 mos after release and I believe it will be very competitive with anything that comes out this year - nobody is going higher than 1080P, the 64 bit versions of Snagpdragon (I think they are the 615 and 815) will not be released until late this year or next year so the best you will see is the 801 or 805, and except for the Note 3 it looks like the major players are sticking with 2 GB RAM. It's never a bad idea to check out the newer phones if you can wait but this year looks like mostly small gains in processing power, screen quality and features (at least in my memory).

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
New Releases are almost always $200 plus (probably for 16 GB versions of the phone with 32 GB versions $50-100 more. The G2 has been on sale various times for $49 and is certainly still on par with the new One and the S5 - they are going with the Snapdragon 801 which at 2.5 GHz is only slightly better than the G2's 800 @ 2.26 GHz. I have a G2 and it is still an excellent phone 8 mos after release and I believe it will be very competitive with anything that comes out this year - nobody is going higher than 1080P, the 64 bit versions of Snagpdragon (I think they are the 615 and 815) will not be released until late this year or next year so the best you will see is the 801 or 805, and except for the Note 3 it looks like the major players are sticking with 2 GB RAM. It's never a bad idea to check out the newer phones if you can wait but this year looks like mostly small gains in processing power, screen quality and features (at least in my memory).

I really haven't kept a tab on phone rumors, but I did hear something about the G3 having a QHD display. If that's true, that's pretty substantial. I will definitely hold out longer until I can either snag the G2 for $50 (is that a sale on the upgrade cost?) or until the 2014 models come out. That's a real tough call, the G2 for $50 or the G3/One 2/S5 for $200. Thanks for letting me know!

Edit: Did some looking around at G2 sales. Looks like last time it was on sale for $50 was because of black friday, so I'm not sure if that was a one time sale or if it's nearing another price drop.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I thought that the S4 was $249 initially at launch, with only one or two carriers offering a $50 MIR for it (dropping net cost to $200). [Edit: Nevermind, that was the 32GB @ $249] The G2 price dropped quickly after release and still remains one of the best values. $100 isn't the best price you can get for it, but it isn't horrible.

AnandTech (and now on AC) just posted up a nice review of the Snapdragon 801 vs. 800 (and their variants) which showed quite a bump from 800 to 801, but probably will not be noticeable in real world usage.

I would try to stick it out until at least the end of the month, and then we can see how the 2014 HTC One's battery will compare. You could wait for the G3, but that may be a little ways out and if you really want to just dump the S3 now, then just compare the S5/2014 One/G2 at the end of the month.

Apav

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I thought that the S4 was $249 initially at launch, with only one or two carriers offering a $50 MIR for it (dropping net cost to $200). [Edit: Nevermind, that was the 32GB @ $249] The G2 price dropped quickly after release and still remains one of the best values. $100 isn't the best price you can get for it, but it isn't horrible.

AnandTech (and now on AC) just posted up a nice review of the Snapdragon 801 vs. 800 (and their variants) which showed quite a bump from 800 to 801, but probably will not be noticeable in real world usage.

I would try to stick it out until at least the end of the month, and then we can see how the 2014 HTC One's battery will compare. You could wait for the G3, but that may be a little ways out and if you really want to just dump the S3 now, then just compare the S5/2014 One/G2 at the end of the month.

Thanks I'll do that. I can wait, it's not like my phone doesn't work anymore. So the rumor for the new HTC One is that it should be arriving in about a month? I'll keep an eye on that, the S5 and the G Pro 2 (if it is coming soon). You're right, the G3 may be a little too far away for the wait.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I'll do that. I can wait, it's not like my phone doesn't work anymore. So the rumor for the new HTC One is that it should be arriving in about a month? I'll keep an eye on that, the S5 and the G Pro 2 (if it is coming soon). You're right, the G3 may be a little too far away for the wait.

Rumor for 2014 HTC One is availability before the S5. G Pro 2 I do not think will go to Verizon, based on the G Pro being exclusive to ATT, but that can change.

You really can't go wrong, though, as they're all great devices =D Just waiting until the end of March will at least give you the most amount of options... which... can be bad haha

Android Drew

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I waited and got my G2 upgrade for free (except the nonsensical 30 dollar upgrade fee at Verizon). Now I will sell it for 300 bucks and get a G3 in July on another upgrade. I actually like the G2 better because the detachable back of the G3 is cheapy, but I want expandable sd card slot, so i can put a ton of music on my phone, plus the camera on the G3 has some slight improvements as well. The G2 feels really solid. I am sad because I already have it all customized and I have to restore it to default for the next guy. Oh well. haha. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781