Can I open a new line to get discounted price then switch to basic phone?

stevetrocs

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I need to open a new phone line for my son but he doesn't need a smart phone. Can I open the new line to use the bogo S5 deal? My wife wants the other phone. So my questions is can I open the line to get the second phone free and then switch to a basic phone that we have and keep the second S5 not connected? Is there a penalty getting rid of the new data plan?
Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you buy directly from Verizon or select third parties then you can do that. Add a line to get the s5 bogo then put a basic phone with no data on the new line. No penalty

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

stevetrocs

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Great Thanks. Yes planning on order directly from verizon. My wife thinks it is to good of a deal that verizon won't let you do that. lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can do that. I have 3 basic lines and always upgrade to smartphones then put the dumb phone back on the line. If you are on the old family share plan then Verizon would automatically add a $10 data charge, but you can get rid of it by blocking data

stevetrocs

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
According to an online verizon rep. The new line would have to have the S5 active for 2 months to get the discount? Does this sound correct?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
According to an online verizon rep. The new line would have to have the S5 active for 2 months to get the discount? Does this sound correct?

Well they aren't going to charge you more than the purchase price. The terms don't mention having to have the s5 on that line. From what I can see, but there could be additional terms shown during checkout. Just read all the terms carefully before signing, and if no mention of having to keep the device on the line then you should be fine.

qehy2ymy.jpg

Not the same issue, but my friend bought the iPhone free after $200 visa prepaid card last year . She moved the device to another line right away and still got the $200 visa prepaid card

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Costco, Verizon, and Best Buy are the only ones I am aware of.

are you sure about Costco? I shop there frequently.(at least twice a week because I have to drive past it daily) The mobile phone booth guy told me that I would be charged a fee if I take the smartphone off the line during the first 180 days. (i.e. swapping the SIM card with other smartphones on the same account) Or does it vary from Costco to Costco?

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
are you sure about Costco? I shop there frequently.(at least twice a week because I have to drive past it daily) The mobile phone booth guy told me that I would be charged a fee if I take the smartphone off the line during the first 180 days. (i.e. swapping the SIM card with other smartphones on the same account) Or does it vary from Costco to Costco?

Thanks!

Policy may change at anytime but I bought from them a few years ago and no issue with Swapping to a basic phone