Verizon prepaid offering Note 3, S4, G2,Moto X via Best Buy

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For those on prepaid or PagePlus , you can now get high end phones. CarrierPigeon mentioned it in the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 forum but it isn't just for the note 3 and applies to a number of other smartphones as well. Pricing is more, the note 3 prepaid runs $22-$100 over the postpaid best buy retail price. Other devices are marked up as well, I think up to $150 over postpaid retail. Keep in mind that best buy retail already runs higher than Verizon retail.

No-Contract Phones : Verizon Wireless Prepaid - Best Buy

4erevy7y.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Too bad Verizon Prepaid doesn't offer any real value when compared to any of the T-Mobile no-contract post-paid service plans. Or I would still be a Verizon customer.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Do you actually get LTE access?

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well if you don't get LTE with Verizon prepaid it is just horrible then.

The only benefit imo is if it works on pageplus and you are someone like my wife who uses very little minutes and data, but also wants Verizon's network. So PagePlus offers a $12 plan which would work for my wife. It doesn't offer very much, but enough and no reason for me to pay more than 3x as much just to get 4glte when her average usage is 5mb. She is on virtually all the time, or I will tether her on my unlimited hotspot plan. It would make sense for her if she wanted a single line. But she is in my family plan already.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The only benefit imo is if it works on pageplus and you are someone like my wife who uses very little minutes and data, but also wants Verizon's network. So PagePlus offers a $12 plan which would work for my wife. It doesn't offer very much, but enough and no reason for me to pay more than 3x as much just to get 4glte when her average usage is 5mb. She is on virtually all the time, or I will tether her on my unlimited hotspot plan. It would make sense for her if she wanted a single line. But she is in my family plan already.

Again only way to make it worth it is by having the option to exploit an unlimited plan.

EDIT: Sorry I jumped the gun and assumed. I totally forgot they offer HotSpot as an addon for unlimited data. My bad.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
And if he's using his unlimited Hotspot plan then exactly what is he doing wrong here?

I could see calling foul in some other situations but its his wife, on his family plan.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

To get back on point.

It really isn't fair to use an impossible option for new customers to validate value for current pre-paid plans. Having a unlimited plan already is an extreme requirement before pre-paid is viable.

My wife is similar, she almost never uses her Moto G but it still uses up 500mb with just basic sync. And no it shouldn't be a requirement to disable basic phone functions imo to make a plan work as a viable option either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Again only way to make it worth it is by having the option to exploit an unlimited plan.

EDIT: Sorry I jumped the gun and assumed. I totally forgot they offer HotSpot as an addon for unlimited data. My bad.

Yes, I am paying for the unlimited hotspot feature, it is $30 before discount, in addition to the $30 for unlimited data before discount.

Also, just to add some background information, my wife is usually at wifi wherever she goes, but my home internet is bad. I had Verizon DSL and that was bad, switched to TWC and it was better but slowly, it is getting bad too. During off peak, i get the rated 15/1 that I pay for. During peak, sometimes I get sub 1mbps, and can't even stream youtube without buffering. So then I decided to pay for the unlimited hotspot, so that my family can use internet and smoothly stream videos.

Also, Verizon exploited users by FORCING them to get the unlimited data plan back in 2008 for smartphones. Before then, you can get a smartphone on tiered or pay as you go (no data cost if you used no data). My guess is that Verizon made a calculated measure that they would make more money by FORCING everyone go to unlimited data. BTW, they knew that LTE was coming up since they bought the 700mhz spectrum in 2007. So to me, Verizon has no right complaining about people who use a lot of data, since they forced this plan on a lot of people, myself included. They lose on people like me, but they must have gained overall, otherwise, Verizon won't offer it. That was one of the reasons why I didn't get a smartphone until the Thunderbolt came out - I didn't want to , and still don't want to pay $30 data per line for 5 lines of service. I would love to get my parents iPhones, but I don't want to pay $30 per line for data when I know that they are usually at home and use virtually no data and only use their phones very sparingly anyway.

Am I using my plan to the max? Yes, but clearly within the boundries of my plan.

re4ydypa.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
To get back on point.

It really isn't fair to use an impossible option for new customers to validate value for current pre-paid plans. Having a unlimited plan already is an extreme requirement before pre-paid is viable.

My wife is similar, she almost never uses her Moto G but it still uses up 500mb with just basic sync. And no it shouldn't be a requirement to disable basic phone functions imo to make a plan work as a viable option either.

Some people use very little data and minutes or use wifi almost all the time. Even without unlimited data, if I had reliable home internet, then I wouldn't need to pay $30 for unlimited hotspot. I realize that this caters to a small percentage of people, however, the savings can be quite substantial going with pageplus, if it suits your needs. I was considering moving my parents to pageplus, but really, there would be no savings once I factor in the subsidies - I pay $10 per each of their dumb phone lines, and get at least $20 back in subsidies.

As for whether or not it is worth it, that is up to you. But say that you are on the $50 single plan. You would be paying $1900 over 2 years. Assuming very light usage, you could pay half that much and get the same Note 3.

I realize that this doesn't work out for a lot of people, but for those that it works, the savings is quite substantial, if they are willing to do it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Back to the real topic.

Can you use these devices on Verizon prepaid and get access to Verizon's LTE network?

Can you use these devices on Page Plus and get access to Verizon's LTE network?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Back to the real topic.

Can you use these devices on Verizon prepaid and get access to Verizon's LTE network?

Can you use these devices on Page Plus and get access to Verizon's LTE network?

The prepaid Note 3 is the Exynos octa core which isn't lte capable to my understanding.

Otherwise they would have just sold the s800 postpaid version.

What's weird is that the s3 mini lists 4GLTE capability, but I think that this is wrong info on best buys part.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The prepaid Note 3 is the Exynos octa core which isn't lte capable to my understanding.

Otherwise they would have just sold the s800 postpaid version.

What's weird is that the s3 mini lists 4GLTE capability, but I think that this is wrong info on best buys part.

In addition, the prepaid listings for the Moto X, GS3, G2, and DROID RAZR all mention 4G LTE.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In addition, the prepaid listings for the Moto X, GS3, G2, and DROID RAZR all mention 4G LTE.

Yeah I see now. This is odd. I am not sure.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Why is someone comparing T-Mobile no contract post paid plans (which every major carrier has a version of now) to prepaid? Prepaid is never going to have the same options or access as post paid. Why? Well then why would anyone go with postpaid?

Accused Samsung and Verizon fanboy from my Verizon Galaxy S5

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I see now. This is odd. I am not sure.

Odd, because prepaid has no 4G access. Last I knew you could even activate a 4G phone on a prepaid account because the 4G phones require 4G LTESIM cards to access the network, which prepaid also doesn't support.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Odd, because prepaid has no 4G access. Last I knew you could even activate a 4G phone on a prepaid account because the 4G phones require 4G LTESIM cards to access the network, which prepaid also doesn't support.

Same here. Not really sure what is going on, if Verizon is allowing 4GLTE on prepaid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital