If Verizon removed all Unlimited Data plans immediately, what would you do?

What would you do?

• Total voters

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Sprint does offer unlimited data, but you can be throttled.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Oh I forgot about that, any interesting factor, if/when Sprint buys T-Mobile, will they do the same thing with T-Mobiles network?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh I forgot about that, any interesting factor, if/when Sprint buys T-Mobile, will they do the same thing with T-Mobiles network?

No one knows. Sprint has 3x the spectrum of tmobile yet tmobile is still able to offer unlimited and I don't hear many complaints about slow tmobile speeds. So it is Sprint?s deployment that is the problem here, imo.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint does offer unlimited data, but you can be throttled.

As with any network though... But he made it sound like they didn't offer the unlimited anymore.

Pretty much every carrier says in their terms they reserve the right to basically do whatever to your service if they see it's justified.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
As with any network though... But he made it sound like they didn't offer the unlimited anymore.

Pretty much every carrier says in their terms they reserve the right to basically do whatever to your service if they see it's justified.

Actually all I said was they were going away from it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually all I said was they were going away from it.

I wouldn't say offering additional options is going away from it.. Going away from it is like what Verizon and AT&T did... They went away from unlimited.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sure but I have used over 5 terabytes on Verizon and didn't notice any slowdown, still able to get over 100mbps on the last day of the cycle. TMobile likewise I don't think anyone has seen throttling for the highest tier.

Att unlimited is throttled and Sprint throttles. So while they all can throttle, not all do in practice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sure but I have used over 5 terabytes on Verizon and didn't notice any slowdown, still able to get over 100mbps on the last day of the cycle. TMobile likewise I don't think anyone has seen throttling for the highest tier.

Att unlimited is throttled and Sprint throttles. So while they all can throttle, not all do in practice.

I know... Just saying they could. You know I know this ;). I hit 1 TB and still hit all the top speeds on T-Mobile just like you did on Verizon.

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I would be leaving Verizon immediately if this happened. Likely go Tmobile. Coverage wouldn't be as good, but at almost $50 less a month I could live with less coverage

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say offering additional options is going away from it.. Going away from it is like what Verizon and AT&T did... They went away from unlimited.

I tried digging up an article I read about someone high ranking from Sprint talking about going away from unlimited. I can't find it now unfortunately.

However, I will ask you this, do you think Sprint/T-Mobile would still be offering unlimited data if the had the subscribers AT&T and Verizon have? Because right now it is the biggest thing they have to attract customers.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried digging up an article I read about someone high ranking from Sprint talking about going away from unlimited. I can't find it now unfortunately.

However, I will ask you this, do you think Sprint/T-Mobile would still be offering unlimited data if the had the subscribers AT&T and Verizon have? Because right now it is the biggest thing they have to attract customers.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

No. I never said they would always offer it either...

All I said is as of right now they offer it.. And they haven't announced plans to change. So until then it isn't factual to say so... It would just be speculation.

Jaramie10

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely they will keep unlimited data. Combining these two companies means they will have more than enough spectrum.

Posted via Android Central App

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely they will keep unlimited data. Combining these two companies means they will have more than enough spectrum.

Sorry but even when they combine those two companies they won't have the subscribers. Spectrum is different. A lot of these companies still have unused spectrum. They would go away from unlimited if they ever get the same volume of subscribers as Verizon and AT&T. Verizon dropped theirs because it was bogging their network down, along with the cost to keep a fast network and reliable network going as well. Sprint's speeds are already slow (I had them for a year, my friends Verizon 3G was running faster than my 4G in Boston), bog down their network and speeds go down, customers leave etc. It's their tool to keep subscribers coming, which is what they should be using it for because they can't compete with AT&T and Verizon overall coverage.

One other interesting thing. T-Mobile is GSM, Sprint is CDMA. Let's hope Sprint handles that conversion better than AT&T didn't from the few areas they got Altel in. My state was one of them, they had a huge gap they could have made up with Verizon because Altel was big here. They didn't convert towers fast enough and the market here is nearly 80% to 20% in favor of Verizon, and AT&T continues to lose customers. Verizon now basically has the whole state in LTE and AT&T is just launching in a few major cities.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
No. I never said they would always offer it either...

All I said is as of right now they offer it.. And they haven't announced plans to change. So until then it isn't factual to say so... It would just be speculation.

I totally agree they still offer it now, and they should. It's again, their tool to gain customers.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree they still offer it now, and they should. It's again, their tool to gain customers.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Agreed. It's the only thing going for them... People look at AT&T and Verizon and see coverage but tiered plans... They then look at the unlimited guys and it comes down to.. Will I have coverage where I need it and be able to survive the times I have no data?

That's how I thought about it as well (along with other reasons).. I get LTE all around where I work and play.. and in any other major town I've been in.. I personally don't travel too often.. So the times I do I know I'll have edge (2g) in between... But I can plan around that. I can say I've done a road trip from Jacksonville FL to New Jersey and while I had edge in between major towns / cities.. I could always call and text. Surprisingly edge handles turn by turn navigation just fine.

But yeah... It's what they have (unlimited) that the big guys don't... But the big guys have the coverage... Whereas the little ones don't. It's a give and take relationship :D.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sprint has double the spectrum that Verizon has now already and half the subscribers. So spectrum isn't needed really even now. Of course sprint isn't using most of its spectrum, this is a deployment issue not due to lack of spectrum

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Sprint guarantees unlimited data for life if on the plan. Though, throttling makes it a lot less meaningful
http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...d-guarantee-and-new-unlimited-my-way-plan.htm

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Galaxy S5
If John Legere is still the ceo after the merger? I say it will be there for a while longer . I think if unlimited data plans are discontinued? They will be grandfathered similar to Verizon

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk