Month-to-Month vs. 2-Year Contract?

tlehmann

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade is coming up at the end of July, and I'm considering buying my next phone off-contract. I'm curious, with Verizon's current $10 discount for month-to-month customers, is it cheaper to buy a $600 phone off-contract and pay month-to-month, or is the 2-year contract cheaper? Going by my calculations and my understanding of the plans, buying the phone off contract and paying monthly costs some $200 more than the 2-year contract. This can't be right, can it? How would I get the cheapest month-to-month plan?

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
With AT&T I have worked the calculations forwards and backwards.

In the end you pay the same amount out of pocket over a 2 year period

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty much my numbers as well. Also consider going with a 10 GB plan, as that would give you $25/line off the monthly bill and may work to your advantage if buying off contract.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your needs and what plan you are on. Verizon does offer $25 discount per line for the 10GB tier or higher.

If you only need 2gb and a single line, the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data is probably the best option and includes subsidized phones.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

tlehmann

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I should elaborate on my situation. There are 3 lines on my Shared Everything plan with unlimited texts and minutes and 6GB of shared data. There is an iPhone 5S, a Galaxy S5, and my phone, the Galaxy S3. I am the next line to be available for an upgrade. I was hoping that buying my new phone off-contract and then paying month-to-month would be the same price after two years as it would be if it were a 2-year contract. What I am thinking now, though, is that I wouldn't be able to be on that Shared Everything plan. Is that correct? Also, is it possible to upgrade all three phones to a More Everything plan and have just one of those devices pay on a month-to-month basis? Sorry if that's a little confusing :P

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong, but it sounds like with options like Edge and bring your own device, that phones no longer have to new tied into a plan contract unless you really want it. So add long as you're eligible for renewal/upgrades, I think you can do it like you want. If the phones are under an existing contract, you may have to wait until it's up to move them to different plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel