i have udp and i am out of contract with 4 addional lines that are in contract. what are my options

adamant117

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I want to upgrade to a s5 (have s4) and I am available for a up grade but don't want to loose my udp which they threated to do.
I pay 285.00 a month for 5 phones with 4 of them with 2 gig data and mine is unlimited data and we share 700 minutes.

what are my options?
1 since I am the account holder out of contract can I leave them and find another courier?
2 is 285 for what I have a good deal(had it for years)
3 how can I keep my uld and get my new phone?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
1 your line could leave. You would have to pay the etf on the other lines if they left.

2 - Sounds high to me. I have an old plan with a good discount though.

3- transfer your upgrade to a tiered line. Upgrade, activate on tiered. Swap phones around.

Last edited:

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I want to upgrade to a s5 (have s4) and I am available for a up grade but don't want to loose my udp which they threated to do.
I pay 285.00 a month for 5 phones with 4 of them with 2 gig data and mine is unlimited data and we share 700 minutes.

what are my options?
1 since I am the account holder out of contract can I leave them and find another courier?
2 is 285 for what I have a good deal(had it for years)
3 how can I keep my uld and get my new phone?

You could transfer your upgrade to one of the tiered lines. Order a new phone. When it comes take the SIM from your UDP phone and put it in your new phone and it will be on your UDP line with UDP preserved and contract extended 2 years. Do it before October though because after that Verizon will throttle the UDP.

Posted via Android Central App

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You could transfer your upgrade to one of the tiered lines. Order a new phone. When it comes take the SIM from your UDP phone and put it in your new phone and it will be on your UDP line with UDP preserved and contract extended 2 years. Do it before October though because after that Verizon will throttle the UDP.

Do you have to activate on the tiered line first? In the process of doing this again and wondering if I actually need to activate on the tiered line I transferred my unlimited data plan upgrade to.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Do you have to activate on the tiered line first? In the process of doing this again and wondering if I actually need to activate on the tiered line I transferred my unlimited data plan upgrade to.
Some say you don't have to, but why risk activating on the UDP line first?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Well documented that you don't have to. But won't hurt if you do other than extra step and will temporarily disrupt service on tiered data line. Important if you don't have that phone in hand and someone else using it.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Well documented that you don't have to.
so you can transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a tiered data plan line, order a new phone on the TDP line and then when it arrives, activate it first on the UDP line with the SIM card it shipped with and not lose your UDP?

adamant117

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Whoever they are are either misinformed or lying. If it is a Verizon CSR it's probably the latter.

So I walk into a Verizon corporate store and tell them that I want to transfer my upgrade which has the unlimited data to my daughters line that has the two gig package. Let them activate the new phone on her line and in a few days deactivate it and activate it on my line and I will keep the udp?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So I walk into a Verizon corporate store and tell them that I want to transfer my upgrade which has the unlimited data to my daughters line that has the two gig package. Let them activate the new phone on her line and in a few days deactivate it and activate it on my line and I will keep the udp?

I would not do it in a store. You can do it yourself online.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Like cnotes2019 said do it online. If you go to the store you will probably will lose unlimited data. Do it all online and don't talk to anyone. When I did this for my wife's iPhone 5S I activated the phone on the tiered line for about 3 minutes. Swapped Sims put the dumb-phone back on and canceled the data plan.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Mr. Toad, I am confused!
Why are you confused? If you do it in-store, a Verizon CSR can switch you off of unlimited data if they want. They get commission bonuses for eliminating UDPs.

If you do it online, you don't have to worry about a Verizon CSR doing something underhanded. Read all of the threads about this and you will find examples where exactly that happened - an in-store Verizon CSR switched someone off of UDP when it wasn't necessary.

Do it online. If you don't and a Verizon CSR switches you off of your UDP, you will get no sympathy from me.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Mr. Toad, I am confused!
It is simple. Log into your Verizon account. Click upgrade device. Press the transfer upgrade button. Transfer from Unlimited line to you daughters tiered line. Proceed with the order. Get the new phone activate it. Then put your unlimited sim into the phone. Activate your daughters phone back on her line. You are done. If the SIMs are the same size it makes it really easy.

DO NOT GO TO THE STORE OR CALL.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
so you can transfer an upgrade from a UDP line to a tiered data plan line, order a new phone on the TDP line and then when it arrives, activate it first on the UDP line with the SIM card it shipped with and not lose your UDP?

I would advise against walking into a Verizon store, they are the biggest liers and I suspect get the biggest commission.

One Smart phone with UDP
Line1 UDP (Upgrade available)
Line2 dumb phone​

1. Transfer upgrade from Line1 to Line2
  2. Order smartphone using upgrade on Line2, select data plan
  3. Activate smartphone on Line1 (take SIM from your existing UDP phone and put in new phone)
  4. Pending data plan on Line2 will drop off in a week

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Can i goto the store to get a new sim and install after this process? The current one i have wont fit in the new phone, so would installing a new sim preserve udp also? Not the one that came with the phone of course.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Can i goto the store to get a new sim and install after this process? The current one i have wont fit in the new phone, so would installing a new sim preserve udp also? Not the one that came with the phone of course.

Actually if you order the phone from Verizon you can use the SIM that comes with the phone, just when you activate it online select Phone and SIM not previously on this account. For the Best Buy method don't use the SIM that comes with the phone, throw it out immediately.