Uncarrier 7.0

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
John legere stated: wifi calling, a tmobile wifi router, and the new gogo partnership.

I'm not sure what's so new about calling overseas back home with a tmobile embedded wifi phone. Hasn't that always been the case?

a tmobile wifi router? Uh.... what's so special about it. it's not exactly a femtocell. It sounds just like any ordinary router....right? I mean sure it prioritizes tmobile calls over everything else. All that takes are a few tweaks on the router's QOS. But, that hardly seems like the case. I severely doubt a HD 32 kbps will even catch a cold on any decent internet connection.

gogo partnership: well again. I seem SOL since I have a nexus. John legere and his crew kept saying "from here on out every smartphone will be wifi callign capable" uh tmobile sells a nexus, does that mean starting tomorrow tmobile is going to stop carrying the nexus?

Out of all the things, the gogo relationship seems promising.....for those who can get it. They really dropped the ball on the nexus. Hears to hoping tmobile is working with google for uma calling on the upcomign android L release.

I'll give John Legere props for being innovative. But I just took a look at the router. Nothing out of the ordinary, seems like any other router. But if you live out in the boonies and hardly get tmobile signal, what are your chances of getting at least 2 mbps down/2 mbps up internet????

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
After going on about WiFi calling in all new phones, it seems likely that they'll enable it somehow on the next Nexus if they decide to carry it.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
After going on about WiFi calling in all new phones, it seems likely that they'll enable it somehow on the next Nexus if they decide to carry it.

it's not on Tmobile to enable it. It's Google that has to. Ideally, Tmobile should work with google to do so similar to how they worked with Apple. Hopefully they'll enable volte as well (as all lte phones are volte capable). Once Google does (hopefully on android L soon), we can get ahold of some of these goodies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
it's not on Tmobile to enable it. It's Google that has to. Ideally, Tmobile should work with google to do so similar to how they worked with Apple. Hopefully they'll enable volte as well (as all lte phones are volte capable). Once Google does (hopefully on android L soon), we can get ahold of some of these goodies.

Who knows they may be...

Also... The router is an amazing router. It looks like it's my router (a 200 dollar Asus) but with T-Mobile built in. Customers can nab this for 25 bucks.. Refundable deposit... And have an amazing router and T-Moblie coverage built in.. That's just awesome.

The calling back to the states has always been the case.. They were just trying to have something else to brag about :).

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Who knows they may be...

Also... The router is an amazing router. It looks like it's my router (a 200 dollar Asus) but with T-Mobile built in. Customers can nab this for 25 bucks.. Refundable deposit... And have an amazing router and T-Moblie coverage built in.. That's just awesome.

The calling back to the states has always been the case.. They were just trying to have something else to brag about :).

Oh no doubt that router even for $100 bucks is a steal. My 1 year old asus ac66 router I bought for $200 is still going for $150-170 on amazon right now. With newer phones being AC capable, John Legere probably threw an AC router out there to think people were getting a "faster" connection than their old N (dare I say G) router. But the router is no femtocell, just a router with tweaked QOS. John Legere should have made that more clear.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
What I'm saying is that it will be tough for T-Mobile to carry the next Nexus just a couple months after talking up WiFi calling if it doesn't have that functionality, which leads me to believe that either they'll figure out a way to do it or not carry the next Nexus. Of course, that's just speculation on my part.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
What I'm saying is that it will be tough for T-Mobile to carry the next Nexus just a couple months after talking up WiFi calling if it doesn't have that functionality, which leads me to believe that either they'll figure out a way to do it or not carry the next Nexus. Of course, that's just speculation on my part.

Maybe.

But then you have the flock of GPE/moto x phones to worry about. Now hypothetically speaking, IF, and a big IF here, Google was smart they would bake uma calling in android L pronto. Sigh, when's Google's event again?

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what's so new about calling overseas back home with a tmobile embedded wifi phone. Hasn't that always been the case?

Exactly. Been using wifi calling overseas since I was rocking a BlackBerry 8900 about 5 years ago. Nothing new at all.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps they've collaborated with Google to figure out a way to do it? Not knowing Android's internals, perhaps I'm speaking out-of-turn, but, speaking as an experienced software designer: I think it should be possible. (Though what I envision would require an app.)

Maybe as much as a year ago I'd started a thread on T-Mobile's forums, asking them to please find a way to give non-TMO-branded devices WiFi calling capability. A TMO rep. responded that they'd had many such requests, and it was definitely on their radar.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe.

But then you have the flock of GPE/moto x phones to worry about. Now hypothetically speaking, IF, and a big IF here, Google was smart they would bake uma calling in android L pronto. Sigh, when's Google's event again?

A "flock" of three phones? Regardless, if Google built support into the Nexus then it would have to be in the OS as a whole, since the Nexus runs the base system that other phones OSes are built on.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Regardless, if Google built support into the Nexus then it would have to be in the OS as a whole, since the Nexus runs the base system that other phones OSes are built on.
Of course.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This, in my non-expert opinion, should be doable. Something like: Put the necessary support into the kernel for the necessary authenticated access to the SIM and whatever else. Develop an API that allows an external agent that can correctly authenticate itself the necessary access.

How are they handling the likes of Google Wallet, whatever ISIS is called, these days, and Apple's new scheme? Somehow they're allowing external agents (payment card info), a device's secured bits (code/SIM/etc.) and POS devices to work together. If they can figure out a secure way to do that, they certainly can figure out a secure way to enable WiFi-calling support that doesn't require carrier branding or carrier customizations to the kernel.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
A "flock" of three phones? Regardless, if Google built support into the Nexus then it would have to be in the OS as a whole, since the Nexus runs the base system that other phones OSes are built on.

which should be the case, no?

even sprint is offering wifi calling these days.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
which should be the case, no?

even sprint is offering wifi calling these days.

Sprint is but on a very few phones ... T-Mobile has it on most phones and soon to be a ton more due to iPhone being big. The Nexus ... who knows? Maybe they will work with Google like they did Apple? We will have to wait and see what the next Nexus has in store.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Sprint is but on a very few phones ... T-Mobile has it on most phones and soon to be a ton more due to iPhone being big. The Nexus ... who knows? Maybe they will work with Google like they did Apple? We will have to wait and see what the next Nexus has in store.
Google best get on the stick and do it quickly.

If WiFi calling comes to iDevices, as it's rumoured it will, you know that Apple and the carriers have figured out a way to do it that doesn't allow the carriers to pollute iOS with their crapware. Google will Figure Out A Way to do the same or will lose market share to Apple. It's that simple.

Same with the wallet. Apple's figured out a way, from the way I've seen it described, to make a handset-based eWallet palatable for somebody even as paranoid as am I, which is no mean feat. I would never, not in a million years, use Google's wallet. You could not pay me to use Google's wallet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google best get on the stick and do it quickly.

If WiFi calling comes to iDevices, as it's rumoured it will, you know that Apple and the carriers have figured out a way to do it that doesn't allow the carriers to pollute iOS with their crapware. Google will Figure Out A Way to do the same or will lose market share to Apple. It's that simple.

Same with the wallet. Apple's figured out a way, from the way I've seen it described, to make a handset-based eWallet palatable for somebody even as paranoid as am I, which is no mean feat. I would never, not in a million years, use Google's wallet. You could not pay me to use Google's wallet.

It isn't rumored... WiFi calling is coming to Apple on the new iPhone. That's been fully confirmed... With T-Mobile iPhones only.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It isn't rumored... WiFi calling is coming to Apple on the new iPhone. That's been fully confirmed... With T-Mobile iPhones only.

All iphones, no? I think Apple is doing what Google did with the nexus: One phone for all carriers with all the radio bands embedded. That would mean same os for all the phones regardless of carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All iphones, no? I think Apple is doing what Google did with the nexus: One phone for all carriers with all the radio bands embedded. That would mean same os for all the phones regardless of carrier.

No only with T-Mobile. During Apple's keynote they said they're working with 2 carriers on WiFi calling with more to "potentially follow". Those 2 are EE (EU carrier) and T-Mobile for the US.

I mean honestly WiFi calling is more software than hardware driven so new carriers could be added .. but for now they're only doing it with T-Mobile.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Actually, they should offer the WiFi calling app on the Play Store; though I understand their could be some issues based on the hardware of the phone, but that shouldn't be insurmountable (at least for most phones). Additionally, this would at least allow some to use WiFi calling on phones T-Mobile sells that don't buy a T-Mobile branded version of the phone.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No only with T-Mobile. During Apple's keynote they said they're working with 2 carriers on WiFi calling with more to "potentially follow". Those 2 are EE (EU carrier) and T-Mobile for the US.

I mean honestly WiFi calling is more software than hardware driven so new carriers could be added .. but for now they're only doing it with T-Mobile.

Thought you were referring to the phones themselves. Yes, tmobile is the only U.S. carrier to offer wifi calling with ios 8. As far as the phones themselves, they seem to be pushing the one phone for all carriers.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thought you were referring to the phones themselves. Yes, tmobile is the only U.S. carrier to offer wifi calling with ios 8. As far as the phones themselves, they seem to be pushing the one phone for all carriers.

Yeah the phone isn't different ... I was just saying that WiFi calling will only work on T-Mobile ... Sorry bad wording on my part ^_^.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid