With most carriers planning a move to WiFi calling on many models, I was curious to see which phones worked best on T-Mobile's WiFi calling when traveling abroad. Anyone able to offer their personal experiences and opinions? I will be needing this feature soon and want to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile if possible.
    09-16-2014 06:05 AM
    I believe they all work pretty much the same when on wifi calling since it is just piggy backing on the wifi you're on.

Which device are you considering?
    09-16-2014 08:44 AM
    If you don't need to switch right away, you might want to hold off. In its Uncarrier 7.0 announcement...

...T-Mobile announced that it’s lighting up Wi-Fi calling and texting for every Simple Choice customer on every new smartphone it sells. Now 100% of new smartphones in T-Mobile stores will be Wi-Fi calling and texting capable, and 100% of T-Mobile customers will be able to get a Wi-Fi calling and texting capable smartphone if they don’t already have one.
    Nobody's quite certain what that means. Does it mean that, as with the upcoming iPhone 6, T-Mobile will get WiFi calling into unbranded Android devices? (That would've required cooperation from Google, something about which there hasn't been even rumours.) Does it mean a WiFi calling app? (Hard to see how handoff between WiFi and cellular network would work, that way?) Or does it mean TMO won't be selling unbranded (and unbloatwared) Android devices any more?

As it stands at this moment, you must have a T-Mobile branded Android device that is specifically listed to support WiFi calling. That means, for example, that, while TMO sells the Nexus 5, it is not (currently) WiFi calling capable. Not on TMO's network, anyway. There are independent WiFi voice services (Vonage, Google Voice, etc.) which work.
    09-16-2014 08:45 AM
    With most carriers planning a move to WiFi calling on many models, I was curious to see which phones worked best on T-Mobile's WiFi calling when traveling abroad. Anyone able to offer their personal experiences and opinions? I will be needing this feature soon and want to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile if possible.
    There were a lot of growing pains in the earlier days of WiFi calling but at this point any phone advertised as supporting it shouldn't give you much trouble. You can filter for WiFi calling enabled phones on their site but most of the phones they sell support it.

WiFi Calling Phones | Cell Phones w / WiFi Calling Capability | T-Mobile

Since you're talking about international use I assume you will want to take advantage of the free international roaming as well. You'll need to keep band support in mind since other countries tend to use different cellular bands. Most of Europe uses Band I (2100/1700) for their 3G, while T-Mobile uses Band IV (1700/2100) and supporting one does not guarantee the other. The HTC One, despite being a phone I really like, has this issue. The iPhone, Galaxy S5/Note and LG G3 are all good options.

It really depends on your price range and what you are looking for outside of WiFi calling.
    09-16-2014 09:14 AM
    If you don't need to switch right away, you might want to hold off. In its Uncarrier 7.0 announcement...

Nobody's quite certain what that means. Does it mean that, as with the upcoming iPhone 6, T-Mobile will get WiFi calling into unbranded Android devices? (That would've required cooperation from Google, something about which there hasn't been even rumours.) Does it mean a WiFi calling app? (Hard to see how handoff between WiFi and cellular network would work, that way?) Or does it mean TMO won't be selling unbranded (and unbloatwared) Android devices any more?

As it stands at this moment, you must have a T-Mobile branded Android device that is specifically listed to support WiFi calling. That means, for example, that, while TMO sells the Nexus 5, it is not (currently) WiFi calling capable. Not on TMO's network, anyway. There are independent WiFi voice services (Vonage, Google Voice, etc.) which work.
    As for being in unbranded Android phones they said in the keynote it'll have to be a branded one... Google Nexus? Maybe.. Doubtful... Unless they sell it.

A wifi calling app? Also in the keynote they said no to that.
    09-16-2014 10:24 AM
    As for being in unbranded Android phones they said in the keynote it'll have to be a branded one... Google Nexus? Maybe.. Doubtful... Unless they sell it.

A wifi calling app? Also in the keynote they said no to that.
    They said phones they sell, not necessarily branded phones. And they have sold the last two generations of Nexus phones.
    09-16-2014 11:00 AM
    As for being in unbranded Android phones they said in the keynote it'll have to be a branded one...
    They said "phones they sell," not "branded phones."

Google Nexus? Maybe.. Doubtful... Unless they sell it.
    They sell the N5.

If they can't figure out how to do with Android what they're going to do with the iPhone, they're shooting themselves in the foot, IMO.

We like T-Mobile. We really, really like T-Mobile. But "like" only gets you so far, and, if their coverage doesn't work for us, and they don't support WiFi calling on the device(s) we want to use, well... guess what? We'll be liking them from afar.

I'm about to switch from a T-Mobile-branded handset to a Moto G. After having experienced the difference between bloated Samsung software on a Galaxy Tab vs. CyanogenMod, I think I know what I'm going to experience. I doubt I'll be interested in ever going back to a carrier-branded device.

I'd probably switch carriers, first.
    09-16-2014 11:27 AM
    They said "phones they sell," not "branded phones."

They sell the N5.

If they can't figure out how to do with Android what they're going to do with the iPhone, they're shooting themselves in the foot, IMO.

We like T-Mobile. We really, really like T-Mobile. But "like" only gets you so far, and, if their coverage doesn't work for us, and they don't support WiFi calling on the device(s) we want to use, well... guess what? We'll be liking them from afar.

I'm about to switch from a T-Mobile-branded handset to a Moto G. After having experienced the difference between bloated Samsung software on a Galaxy Tab vs. CyanogenMod, I think I know what I'm going to experience. I doubt I'll be interested in ever going back to a carrier-branded device.

I'd probably switch carriers, first.
    They do sell the N5 but that was way way before this was all announced... So I would consider that an exception to the rule.... If the new Google phone is sold by them .. Then yes I would agree with you.
    09-16-2014 12:01 PM