Service in Philadelphia

tko_49

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about switching to T-Mobile from Verizon and was wondering if anyone has experience with their service in Philadelphia, PA and the surrounding areas (especially the Jersey shore). I am more concerned about voice than I am about data speeds. If I switch I would save about $50 a month, which is a big incentive.

Thanks!

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I've gone through Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile recently, and stuck with T-Mobile. Overall I would put Verizon in the lead with great coverage and good speed (this was before XLTE, though), with AT&T and T-Mobile tied for second. AT&T has coverage that's on par with Verizon in the area, but the speed is very poor. T-Mobile has some coverage gaps as you move outside the city but their speed is the best.

The jersey shore can be tough though. T-Mobile has some major coverage holes in south jersey. I will lose signal for long enough that even Play Music cannot maintain its streaming cache on the AC expressway. Once I actually reach the shore, I get service (and can usually make calls) but data barely works.