Is it possible to swap my SIM Card from my Galaxy S4 to a Moto X?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Swapping SIM cards?

I am currently using a Verizon Galaxy S3, and I am considering purchasing a Moto X (2014) directly from Motorola (the Verizon version). Would I be able to simply insert my current SIM card into the Moto X and call it good, or would I need to take further steps before I could use the Moto X on Verizon's network? Assuming I could simply insert my SIM card, would I have to change my service plans in any way?

Thanks!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Swapping SIM cards?

What size SIM do you have in the S3? I would imagine it's not the size needed for the Moto X. The Moto X needs a Nano SIM, looks like the S3 may use a Micro or Mini (whichever is the next one up). Based on an eBay auction, it looks like the S3 uses a "3FF" SIM, the Moto X is probably a "2FF".

Kianski

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

You can put a nano sim in a micro or normal slot, but not vice versa. Your provider should be able to order a replacement sim in the right size if needed.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If you are trying to keep an unlimited plan, you might want to keep your sim and cut it down. If not, activate it with the new SIM, if you change phones or not, as the previous poster says, you can get a set of adapters on Amazon for $5 or so and use them when going to different phones.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Would I need to contact Verizon before doing this, or can I just swap the card (assuming it fits)?

Posted via Android Central App

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Just pop it in. I switch phones all the time. I just picked up an M7 and popped my Nano SIM into an adapter and put it into the M7 from my Maxx in anticipation of selling my Maxx and waiting to buy he Turbo or X.

I believe the S4 uses a micro sim so you will need to switch to a nano if you get an X.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Thank you very much for the reply. I have one last question. I am currently on an unlimited data plan and would certainly like to keep it. When I go to purchase a nano SIM from Verizon, will they try to bump me into one of their tiered data plans? If so, how can I avoid that?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Getting a sim won't affect unlimited data however if you are getting a sim to use a subsidized upgrade then a rep can manually remove unlimited data

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If you have a phone that you purchased outside of Verizon, just bring the phone into a Corporate Verizon store, not an Authorized Verizon Reseller, and the rep will give you one for free. They just won't give you a SIM if you walk in and ask for it. You will need the other phone with you.

Make sure after they give it to you that your unlimited data plan is still intact. The CSR can't change your plan if you do buy a subsidized phone.

If you are buying a subsidized phone, you will be forced to a tiered plan.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have one last question. I am currently on an unlimited data plan and would certainly like to keep it. When I go to purchase a nano SIM from Verizon, will they try to bump me into one of their tiered data plans? If so, how can I avoid that?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

Awesome. That's a bit easier than I expected it to be, which is nice.

I assume Verizon will only be whitelisting the Verizon version of the Moto X and that I won't be able to activate the "pure" edition, even if I put N activated nano SIM into the pure Moto X?

Posted via a mobile device, of course

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Awesome. That's a bit easier than I expected it to be, which is nice.

I assume Verizon will only be whitelisting the Verizon version of the Moto X and that I won't be able to activate the "pure" edition, even if I put N activated nano SIM into the pure Moto X?

Posted via a mobile device, of course
I don't think the pure edition even supports Verizon's bands so if you want a pure phone, you may want to wait for the Nexus 6. For me, the Moto app suite is awesome and one reason the Turbo is at the top of my list.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood