Verizon changes 75% to Edge up, $15 Edge discount <10gb, $75 2gb plan starting 10/16

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is making some changes starting 10/16:

-Edge now changed to 24 months, and require 75% or 18 months before Edge up. (was 60%/20 months, and before June, 50%/24 months)

-More Everything Plan under 10gb will now get $15 discount (was $10)

-unlimited talk and text with 2gb data will increase to $75 (was $60)

Verizon tweaks Edge program to increase time between handset upgrades - FierceWireless

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Pretty soon you will edge up at 24 months and 100 prevent.

That would make the 2 year contract a better deal unless they up the discount more. Doing the math on the plan for that is rolling out tomorrow, the Edge is still a better deal as long as you are on the $25 per line discount.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I knew, that this program was, to good be to true!

I don't like, the fact that they just change things as they see fit! I was so close, to being able to edge up for the new Turbo/N6. Now I have to wait even longer!

I don't think, that is fair they change this program when ever a new phone is released.

You would think, that they would give you more of an incentive, when a new phone is released to upgrade to it.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
That would make the 2 year contract a better deal unless they up the discount more. Doing the math on the plan for that is rolling out tomorrow, the Edge is still a better deal as long as you are on the $25 per line discount.
I think it really depends on how much the phone costs at full price and on contract. If Verizon does another half off Sale, getting something like a 128gb iPhone 6 plus for $250 would be a much better deal then edge at close to $40 a month.

That said with the $25 discount, the edge plan can be a good deal especially if the phone you get is under $600.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
75% so they only take off the last 25% ? I would rather pay the phone off at that point and sell it or give it to someone .. that is crazy.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I knew, that this program was, to good be to true!

I don't like, the fact that they just change things as they see fit! I was so close, to being able to edge up for the new Turbo/N6. Now I have to wait even longer!

I don't think, that is fair they change this program when ever a new phone is released.

You would think, that they would give you more of an incentive, when a new phone is released to upgrade to it.

If you're close, you can still Edge up. This is only for new Edge agreements starting tomorrow.
I think the plan is to entice everyone to the Edge plan with the $25 per line "discount" on the More Everything plans.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad I didn't give my unlimited up for the edge. Paying 75% off of full retail, might as well just pay it all at that point.

Not only that but it is at the 18 month mark. Most people on a series (Note, iPhone, s, one, etc),remain on the series. So you would be stuck at 24 months anyway. Some do switch up, but especially for iPhone, it is a small percentage that switch to Android, especially now with the 6+. And iPhones count for over half of smartphone sales. And I am sure that even then you can get more from private party sale.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic...

I really though Edge was a good idea.. but they've changed the conditions alot in such a short amount of time, it's getting ridiculous. I change my phones often but geez man...

ejcrossl

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Glad I didn't give my unlimited up for the edge. Paying 75% off of full retail, might as well just pay it all at that point.

That is exactly why they did this. They will either get people to pay off the rest, and start paying on a new phone sooner. Or they will get those who just turn it in, and they can make even more on the refurb sale. Good business move for them, bad for those of us who were just a week away from getting a new phone.

xsists

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly why they did this. They will either get people to pay off the rest, and start paying on a new phone sooner. Or they will get those who just turn it in, and they can make even more on the refurb sale. Good business move for them, bad for those of us who were just a week away from getting a new phone.

It only effects new EDGE customers. You are still able to get a phone in a week.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
This is some seriously dirty tactics by Verizon. The first change was implemented just before the 1 year Mark of edge so every edge customer would have to agree to the increase or be forced to pay full price for their phone.

Now only months later after many edge customers like me edged up and agreed to the 10% increase we are hit with an additional 15% increase if we wish to edge up again!

This is enough for me to think about kicking Verizon to the curb and looking else where for service

Posted via Android Central App

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I would love to go elsewhere but Verizon has the best coverage in my area.. I've tried Tmobile, Sprint and Verizon. AT&T is the only one I haven't tried but their prices are pretty much the same as Verizon's!

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk