Convert Voice line with UDP to data only?

MM48

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Quick question, longtime lurker here.

I'm leaving Verizon, however, I was wondering if it was possibly to port my number to the new carrier, without cancelling on the verizon end, then drop the voice portion of my service so that the line is $29.99 data only to use with a mifi. Is it possible to do this, or does verizon require the voice portion to stay with the UDP data plan? I was thinking about doing this so I can drop TW broadband, and have mobile internet for when I go on vacation. .

Thanks!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am sure they require the voice part to stay. They won't let people leave and drop to a lower plan and keep unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are no current data only unlimited plans. You can aol a data only unlimited line, but it would be much more than $30/mo

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There are no current data only unlimited plans. You can aol a data only unlimited line, but it would be much more than $30/mo

I'm pretty sure I'm on the lowest UDP for a MiFi they've offered, which sits at $50/month. Much like I could not change my plan type from a data plan to a voice plan while maintaining the data feature, I suspect you would not be able to switch plan types from a voice plan to a data plan with a similar goal.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I'm on the lowest UDP for a MiFi they've offered, which sits at $50/month. Much like I could not change my plan type from a data plan to a voice plan while maintaining the data feature, I suspect you would not be able to switch plan types from a voice plan to a data plan with a similar goal.
You can not change it to a legacy plan. You would have to assume liability of one.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, longtime lurker here.

I'm leaving Verizon, however, I was wondering if it was possibly to port my number to the new carrier, without cancelling on the verizon end, then drop the voice portion of my service so that the line is $29.99 data only to use with a mifi. Is it possible to do this, or does verizon require the voice portion to stay with the UDP data plan? I was thinking about doing this so I can drop TW broadband, and have mobile internet for when I go on vacation. .

Thanks!

It is possible to port your number, but keep service. You'll need Verizon to give you a new number as soon as you port; otherwise, you'll lose service. I'd recommend calling the Retention department for help.

As for the plan itself. you can't drop voice, but Verizon does have a hidden Loyalty plan that drops the minutes to 30 per month. Basically, the plan is 30 minutes, pay by the text, and unlimited data. The cost is $45 a month. This will be your best bet. When you call Verizon, just make sure to not tell them you plan on using the SIM in a tablet, hotspot, or anything else. Keep the SIM active on your phone when you call. You'll need the Loyalty department to get this plan active. You'll keep the new number from Verizon that you did in the first paragraph.

What are the specifics to your plan? There is an easier solution if you qualify for the iPhone Unlimited plan from Apple. However, you need to be on a Nationwide Family Plan for that to work.

Shaodong Lin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
It is possible to port your number, but keep service. You'll need Verizon to give you a new number as soon as you port; otherwise, you'll lose service. I'd recommend calling the Retention department for help.

As for the plan itself. you can't drop voice, but Verizon does have a hidden Loyalty plan that drops the minutes to 30 per month. Basically, the plan is 30 minutes, pay by the text, and unlimited data. The cost is $45 a month. This will be your best bet. When you call Verizon, just make sure to not tell them you plan on using the SIM in a tablet, hotspot, or anything else. Keep the SIM active on your phone when you call. You'll need the Loyalty department to get this plan active. You'll keep the new number from Verizon that you did in the first paragraph.

What are the specifics to your plan? There is an easier solution if you qualify for the iPhone Unlimited plan from Apple. However, you need to be on a Nationwide Family Plan for that to work.

i just called verizon about 30 minutes plan, agent said no, that would potentially remove unlimited data...

MM48

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting.

I'm currently on a legacy nationwide 700 plan, with three active UDP lines. I originally moved to Verizon to get my wife an iPhone4 on launch day, and I subsequently purchased a Tbolt on launch day. However, I was not able to go through one normal upgrade without Verizon getting draconian about UDP, and have had to jump through every upgrade loophole to upgrade our phones. So between the last accessible loophole being closed and the degradation in coverage and bandwidth since the rollout of XLTE, here in Southern California, not to mention the high monthly bill even with some discounts, I am begrudgingly moving to t-mobile, to take advantage of their ETF payoff, easy upgrade program, lower monthly bill with govt discount, and the rollout of their 700mhz bandwidth will give them a dual band lte presence like big red and big orange.

I was just curious about the possibility of keeping one UDP line cheaply for home mifi use.

I've been grateful to everyone in this forum for all the information in regards to the upgrade loopholes. Having a note 3 with UDP is awesome.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

I'm currently on a legacy nationwide 700 plan, with three active UDP lines. I originally moved to Verizon to get my wife an iPhone4 on launch day, and I subsequently purchased a Tbolt on launch day. However, I was not able to go through one normal upgrade without Verizon getting draconian about UDP, and have had to jump through every upgrade loophole to upgrade our phones. So between the last accessible loophole being closed and the degradation in coverage and bandwidth since the rollout of XLTE, here in Southern California, not to mention the high monthly bill even with some discounts, I am begrudgingly moving to t-mobile, to take advantage of their ETF payoff, easy upgrade program, lower monthly bill with govt discount, and the rollout of their 700mhz bandwidth will give them a dual band lte presence like big red and big orange.

I was just curious about the possibility of keeping one UDP line cheaply for home mifi use.

I've been grateful to everyone in this forum for all the information in regards to the upgrade loopholes. Having a note 3 with UDP is awesome.

Based on your plan, it sounds like you are eligible to get an unlimited iPhone plan from Apple.com. This could solve a lot of your problems, by doing the following:

1.) Purchase an on-contract iPhone from apple.com (an iPhone 5c would be zero down with a two year-contract from Verizon)
2.) Under Existing Customer select "add a new line"
3.) Provide your main wireless number, zip code, and last 4 of your social security number
4.) Now select your current plan by selecting the dial above your shared minutes and hitting continue

This should bring you to the "choose data" section. Select the blue arrow to the right of the 10 GB plan. The last plan should say "Unlimited iPhone". This plan will give you an unlimited data on the new line (this line will be the UDP to use for the MiFi device). Once you activate the new phone, you'll just need to call Verizon and ask them to move the new line into an individual/sub account separate from your main account. Additionally, have them change the new line to the 30 minute, pay each text, unlimited data for $45 a month. Make sure to keep the new iPhone active when calling Verizon.

By doing this, you are now all set up to move to T-Mobile with your other three lines. You'll maintain an unlimited data plan for $45 (before taxes) whose SIM card can now be moved to a MiFi device.

MM48

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Based on your plan, it sounds like you are eligible to get an unlimited iPhone plan from Apple.com. This could solve a lot of your problems, by doing the following:

1.) Purchase an on-contract iPhone from apple.com (an iPhone 5c would be zero down with a two year-contract from Verizon)
2.) Under Existing Customer select "add a new line"
3.) Provide your main wireless number, zip code, and last 4 of your social security number
4.) Now select your current plan by selecting the dial above your shared minutes and hitting continue

This should bring you to the "choose data" section. Select the blue arrow to the right of the 10 GB plan. The last plan should say "Unlimited iPhone". This plan will give you an unlimited data on the new line (this line will be the UDP to use for the MiFi device). Once you activate the new phone, you'll just need to call Verizon and ask them to move the new line into an individual/sub account separate from your main account. Additionally, have them change the new line to the 30 minute, pay each text, unlimited data for $45 a month. Make sure to keep the new iPhone active when calling Verizon.

By doing this, you are now all set up to move to T-Mobile with your other three lines. You'll maintain an unlimited data plan for $45 (before taxes) whose SIM card can now be moved to a MiFi device.

Wow, that's a heck of an end run, I can understand the method, but I'm not sure if I want to do all that to accomplish my goal, part of the reason I'm taking the magenta handshake.

So just an FYI, I talked to the TMO rep, and he made it clear regarding the ETF payoff offer. They will pay up to $350 per line. He said go to your provider, get a high end phone cheap if you can by contract renewal, then port to TMO and have the ETF paid off. The rules for the ETF are that you must trade in a phone to TMO, then buy a phone from TMO. The phone you trade in can be any old phone, does not need to be the phone on the line you are porting in. Then when you purchase a phone, buy a cheap $40 refurb simply to meet the rules of the deal. This route would be well and good if the boot loaders weren't locked on Verizon Samsung phones, seeing as how the N4 is 750 on TMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's a heck of an end run, I can understand the method, but I'm not sure if I want to do all that to accomplish my goal, part of the reason I'm taking the magenta handshake.

So just an FYI, I talked to the TMO rep, and he made it clear regarding the ETF payoff offer. They will pay up to $350 per line. He said go to your provider, get a high end phone cheap if you can by contract renewal, then port to TMO and have the ETF paid off. The rules for the ETF are that you must trade in a phone to TMO, then buy a phone from TMO. The phone you trade in can be any old phone, does not need to be the phone on the line you are porting in. Then when you purchase a phone, buy a cheap $40 refurb simply to meet the rules of the deal. This route would be well and good if the boot loaders weren't locked on Verizon Samsung phones, seeing as how the N4 is 750 on TMO.

Please also ensure you can pay the ETF yourself... And then be reimbursed by T-Mobile.

Most don't realize the ETF payment takes a while (few weeks) like a rebate.. So you'll want to pay the ETF out of pocket to avoid collections... Then you'll get your payment from T-Mobile and be squared away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2